Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 03:53 PM
username:
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help asap! I am reinstalling the stock springs. I cannot get the rear arm to line up with the hub to get the bolt through. One side will line up perfectly, but the other end will not budge when I try to force it to line up with a screwdriver.

First pic is from the rear of the car facing the front of the car. Second pic is from the front facing the rear.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive-2018-01-21-17.32.02.jpg   DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive-2018-01-21-17.32.29.jpg  

Last edited by username:; 01-21-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 04:12 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by username:
I need some help asap! I am reinstalling the stock springs. I cannot get the rear arm to line up with the hub to get the bolt through. One side will line up perfectly, but the other end will not budge when I try to force it to line up with a screwdriver.

First pic is from the rear of the car facing the front of the car. Second pic is from the front facing the rear.
use a punch or screwdriver in the end that's misaligned and pry it so the holes line up then tap the bolt in the rest of the way.
The following users liked this post:
username: (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 04:20 PM
username:
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
use a punch or screwdriver in the end that's misaligned and pry it so the holes line up then tap the bolt in the rest of the way.
I've tried a few times to align it with the screwdriver and a pry bar, but it's not moving enough to tap the bolt through.

I will try again, after a break. Fronts are done at least.

Well I got it. Ended up putting the shock bolt and sway bar nut on first...and it worked.

Last edited by username:; 01-21-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 07:07 PM
TGIF
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

I had troubles with that as well. Learned that if I put the block on the jack more toward the front of the car, it helped lift that up more in line with the rear. What looks like centering the jack actually kind of tweaks the lining up of the two sides of the holes.
username: (01-21-18)
Old 08-16-18, 07:55 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done DIY spring installations for other cars but never a lexus, seems fairly similar. I'm going to attempt this soon with my 2016 IS300 AWD. Just received my RSR springs.
Old 09-12-18, 06:38 AM
Sant0rini
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you guys get the strut out ? C bracket is hitting that bar
Old 09-12-18, 07:10 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sant0rini
How do you guys get the strut out ? C bracket is hitting that bar
For the front of AWD models, you have to detach the steering rack end (that bar) from hub assembly to get the C bracket out
Old 09-12-18, 07:11 AM
Sant0rini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
For the front of AWD models, you have to detach the steering rack end (that bar) from hub assembly to get the C bracket out
I removed the one bolt behind the dust shield but can’t get it to pop out
Old 09-12-18, 07:15 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sant0rini

I removed the one bolt behind the dust shield but can’t get it to pop out
when i did mine, one side came off nicely, while the other end required me to use a ball joint remover or similar too to get off
Old 09-13-18, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Couldn't you also remove the upper A arm to get more clearance. looks like you only need a couple inches. just make sure you establish zero pre load on that arm when it goes back on.
Old 09-13-18, 09:05 AM
Sant0rini
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps , I’ll look into it. I’ve done springs / coils before don’t know why I’m on the struggle bus this time around lol but I buttoned everything up and gonna dive in with a more mechanically inclined friend tmrw. Thanks guys. Any other advice is much much appreciated
Old 09-14-18, 09:07 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rgonza1
Great write up! I toyed with the idea of doing it myself but instead paid a local shop $175 bucks to do it for me.
What shop did you use? Im AZ local and want to have someone do the install. I dont have the necessary tools.
Old 09-17-18, 11:18 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by istasy
Anyone do this DIY on an AWD? I was up under my car and the front suspension looks slightly different.
I just finished AirLift on AWD. The factory manual says to remove the upper ball joint and toe ball joints, but I found that I only needed to remove the toe joint and i could push out the strut bolt by using a jack under the shock mounting arm to relieve pressure.

Youll want the Harbor Freight ball joint seperator for the tie rod.

The ball joints have a violent seperation, so keep the nut still on at the end of the threads and be careful.

There is no need to disconnect the stabilizer bar endlinks, just make sure you have both front sides raised up.
Make sure you have a torque wrench good over 82lbs to torque ALL suspension components to factory specs.
Old 01-16-19, 07:46 PM
Volcom
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a quick question for you guys that used the ball separator. I just completed the fronts using the separator and was wondering about it. It separated just fine and heard the pop, but when you torque it back after @87 ft lbs, are you supposed to feel it pop back in? Is this a ball socket? I don't see any ball or socket but was wondering why it pops apart?

Also, I am installing rsr half downs. The bottom front springs lines up to the notches/perch, but it the top hat rubber part supposed to line up like the oems to the indentation? The rubber part cannot be moved in my is350 or it won't line up putting it back up. The top part of the spring is flat and I'm just thinking it may make it's own indentation on the rubber top hat later?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-19, 10:59 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Volcom
Had a quick question for you guys that used the ball separator. I just completed the fronts using the separator and was wondering about it. It separated just fine and heard the pop, but when you torque it back after @87 ft lbs, are you supposed to feel it pop back in? Is this a ball socket? I don't see any ball or socket but was wondering why it pops apart?

Also, I am installing rsr half downs. The bottom front springs lines up to the notches/perch, but it the top hat rubber part supposed to line up like the oems to the indentation? The rubber part cannot be moved in my is350 or it won't line up putting it back up. The top part of the spring is flat and I'm just thinking it may make it's own indentation on the rubber top hat later?

Thanks in advance.
No, when torquing a ball joint back together, it should not pop back together. The end of the ball joint is tapered and when you torque the nut on, it wedges itself very tightly into the arm. The pop you hear when you use the separator is just the force of the tapered joint releasing from the arm.

For the top rubber, since the spring is flat on the top as you mentioned, I don't believe the orientation of the rubber makes any difference. You just obviously need to make sure the top hat itself is oriented correctly so the studs line up with the holes in your shock tower.
Volcom (01-17-19)

Quick Reply: DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive