Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 06:09 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm fine with 12k front / 10k rear default spring rates even with dampening settings at 20 (away from stiffest). The ride quality is very comfortable like stock and when I push it hard on corner, it just hugs the road with so much less body roll. I also have F Sport rear sway bar as well. Occasionally on high speed bump, I do rub on the front a little bit but I can just adjust the dampening settings to like 16 and it will stiffen up the front a whole lot. However, I still like 20 for daily for the comfort.

One thing I learn, it is much more comfortable than lower spring + stock sport set up and much much more predictable and better handling than lower spring. The steering feel is very accurate and offer a lot more road feedback together with more traction available. I will soon test it again on autocross and track to report back how it fare.

For all of you out there who thinks about going lower springs set up, save your money and go directly for coilovers. I learn it the hard way

Why? Many of the lower springs are progressive spring rates and that creates a problem with the shocks because the shocks cannot be valved correctly with a spring rates that are changing all the times. Then, what you will be experiencing is under-dampening or over-dampening depending on the road conditions and how hard you push your car. Because of this, when you suddenly push hard on the corner, the initial soft spring rates change to stiffer rates and the shocks suddenly cannot adjust to that change right away and will give you a very hard push back to the opposite direction that you are turning. You will then have to constantly counter steer and it is very unpredictable. Also, on the bad roads, a lot of times it is super stiff and bounce your whole body up. The lower springs will only be good on a smooth road where it will ride pretty much like stock but other than that, it is not really good. Simply put, stay away from progressive spring rates if you care about handling. I have tested Eibach lower spring rates + stock sport shocks on street and autocross for many months before I switch to BCR coilover set up so what I'm saying reflects my personal opinion which you may or may not agree with. Lower springs, however, will still lower your car for the look though.

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-05-15 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 10:20 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can I set the pre-load with the coils already installed on the car? I can jack it up and take off the wheel, I already have it aligned and don't want to pay for another one.
Old 07-20-17, 10:23 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Alright, I need some input. I have 177k miles on the front shocks and ~80k miles on the rear shocks. I want to upgrade my suspension and I need some input. These are my options and my budget is $1000 or less for parts. I am wanting a moderate drop with comfortable ride since it's a DD and the roads in Houston are terrible:

1) BC R Coilovers w/ 12k/10k spring rates (seems like a lot of people like BC)
2) Koni Yellow with either Tein S Tech or Eibach Prokit (leaning more towards Eibach since a lot of 2nd IS ppl like them); thought about H&R but from what I read the drop is ~2" to 2.5" in with H&R with Koni Yellow and is prob too low for me
3) Megan EZ Streets Coilovers (idk, they're either a hit or miss depending on who you ask)
4) Complete F Sport suspension (only ~1in drop all around, might be disappointed)

Any input would be appreciated. I've been debating this for a while.
Old 07-21-17, 03:44 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I have H&Rs and the drop isn't quite that agressive. It's maybe 1.5". With that being said , I wish the rear was lower and I will probably switch over to Fortune coils at some point next year. They ride great but I am on the OEM shocks. The konis will more than likely be more firm.
Attached Thumbnails Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others-img_5419.jpg  
Old 07-21-17, 05:21 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
Alright, I need some input. I have 177k miles on the front shocks and ~80k miles on the rear shocks. I want to upgrade my suspension and I need some input. These are my options and my budget is $1000 or less for parts. I am wanting a moderate drop with comfortable ride since it's a DD and the roads in Houston are terrible:

1) BC R Coilovers w/ 12k/10k spring rates (seems like a lot of people like BC)
2) Koni Yellow with either Tein S Tech or Eibach Prokit (leaning more towards Eibach since a lot of 2nd IS ppl like them); thought about H&R but from what I read the drop is ~2" to 2.5" in with H&R with Koni Yellow and is prob too low for me
3) Megan EZ Streets Coilovers (idk, they're either a hit or miss depending on who you ask)
4) Complete F Sport suspension (only ~1in drop all around, might be disappointed)

Any input would be appreciated. I've been debating this for a while.
Most likely you wont be able to find f sport shocks anywhere.
Old 07-21-17, 09:00 AM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by strikeraj
Most likely you wont be able to find f sport shocks anywhere.
There are dealerships on eBay and other companies selling F Sport Shocks online.
Old 07-21-17, 09:05 AM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
I have H&Rs and the drop isn't quite that agressive. It's maybe 1.5". With that being said , I wish the rear was lower and I will probably switch over to Fortune coils at some point next year. They ride great but I am on the OEM shocks. The konis will more than likely be more firm.
The Koni yelllow has a lower perch which allows an additional 0.5" drop in addition to the springs. So, the drop would be lower with Koni Yellow compared to stock shocks. The only reason I would get coilovers is to prevent any unevenness.
Old 07-21-17, 10:58 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Ohhhhhhh. Right on. Thats good to know.
Old 07-21-17, 06:17 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Go with the BCRs and be able to pick your setup and adjust your ride height to your liking. Not to mention if down the road if you need a replacement shock, they're only $150.
Old 07-21-17, 08:00 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't think you can service the Megans once their life is over IIRC, while the BCR coilovers you can like Gville mentioned. F sport suspension is pretty pricey and doesn't offer the greatest drop nor being able to be replaced since they are out of production, I can't offer anything for your #2 category
Old 07-22-17, 09:36 AM
Kevxe20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Since the F Sport suspension is discontinued. In the future, I'm going the coil route. Here are my goals:
1. 1.5 inch lower all around (just similar to lower spring look).
2. NO slam or VIP look because of steep drive way and bad road in CA.
3. As much comfortable to stock ride as possible.
4. Great handling when pushed hard such as on autocross or track.
5. Durable.
6. Budget: 700-1500.

Comfort is #1 priority because I use it a lot to drive family members around.

I'm considering:
Megan EZ Street, Megan LP, BC Racing BR series, Stance Super Sport, Tein Street Advance, TANABE PRO S-0C...

I would like to hear direct feedback from the owners who actually run these coils. Please elaborate on how you like or dislike as much as you want. You can even suggest other coils as well. Please also tell me how long your coilover lasts in term of miles and how you drive haha. Thanks
i don't mean to steal your thread* But does anyone know the best spring rate for is250 rwd? I wanna slam my car fender to wheel.... or would the factory pre set coils do the job?
Old 07-22-17, 09:48 AM
Aspect
Racer

Slamming your car to the floor... prob want something like 14k/12k if you're static IIRC from all the past threads
Old 07-22-17, 10:40 AM
Kevxe20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Slamming your car to the floor... prob want something like 14k/12k if you're static IIRC from all the past threads
do i need custom damper? Or not necessary? Bc when i order custom spring rates... it asks about front and read custom dampener
Old 07-22-17, 10:41 AM
Kevxe20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
14k front 12k rear correct?
Old 07-22-17, 01:31 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevxe20
14k front 12k rear correct?
I've also read about people doing 14k/10k and people fine with 12k/10k and yes 14k front and 12k rear. I'll have to look around for the quotes but if you search clublexus forums for static setups you'll find your perfect answer.

Quick Reply: Megan vs. BC Racing vs. Stance vs. Tein vs. Tanabe vs. Others