Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about GS400 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 12:06 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about GS400 brakes

I recently bought a GS400 and find that the brakes do not work that well. I brought it to the Lexus dealership and they said that the brakes are fine and I'll have to push a little harder. The ES300 and the RX300 that they let me use as loaners had brakes that had a greater sensitivity to them. My BMW e46 3 series feels like it brakes much better than the GS. I'd expect that the bigger your engine, the better the brakes they'd give you. I just wanted to check with the rest of you GS400 owners if this is normal or just my imagination.

Lexus told me that they would tell me if something was wrong because those tech's are really picky about pointing things out. For the first time they told me nothing was wrong even though I think there is something seriously wrong with the brake system. Maybe air in the lines?? Thanks!
Old 02-26-03, 12:21 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when you're braking, it feels like sometimes you have to press it harder in order for you to stop where u want it to stop. that's the way the GS feels. don't worry, it is normal, and you DO get the stopping distance LEXUS advertises. the GS has one of the best OEM brake systems out there, even though it may feel kinda soft.
Old 02-26-03, 12:41 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Brake pedal feel is one of those things that the GS does not excel at but they nonetheless are very effective at removing speed. I'd prefer more firmness in my pedal, too (the old "stepped on a rock" feel). Easy to modulate, though.

Can always go to SS lines.
Old 02-26-03, 12:48 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Drive by wire bull****
Old 02-26-03, 12:50 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks for your replies.. They definetely help!

Thanks guys! Guess I'll have to get used to the "press hard" to stop brake system. I feel like there is air in the lines or something but Lexus says it's just fine. If I switched my lines to SS.. you think that would make a difference? I thought those are just better for racing to prevent blistering of the original stock brake lines.
Old 02-26-03, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, the brakes on the GS are really good, but the pedal feel is just very weird.... so soft and weak.... it's like it's not going anywhere....

get the stainless steel lines and it helps quite a bit
Old 02-26-03, 01:06 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

doing lines rulessssss!!!!!
Old 02-26-03, 01:10 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Default How much does an upgrade like that usually run?

How much does an upgrade like that usually run? I think I may do that if it really helps with the soft feel. It's weird how the ES and the RX feel like they have more powerful brakes. Or if I upgrade my calipers.. that should help too right?
Old 02-26-03, 01:13 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

supposedly, that should help
but remember, that the floaty suspension and the amount of power in the GS take away from the brakes
Old 02-26-03, 01:25 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Default suspension and brakes

So you think that the floaty suspension has some part in the way that the car brakes? I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of swapping of "stock" parts to aftermarket parts. That's what I did with my E46 3 series. I changed the wheels.. suspension.. etc.. Maybe I'm just too used to my BMW. But it could not keep up with the GS400 that I have now. Another question, if I get larger anti-sway bars, do you think this would help on corners even though it has a stock spring/shock setup? I did this on my 3 series but that was after the suspension upgrade. I've never used the larger anti-sway bars before the change. Thanks!
Old 02-26-03, 01:27 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

I def. thing you should start modding your suspension
Thats the weakest component of our cars
i would do the springs shocks, ecu, stb and sways
then take it from there
Old 02-26-03, 06:05 PM
Coolguy949
Driver School Candidate

I dont have a GS yet but that was one of the first things I noticed when I test drove one a couple weeks ago. Braking was alittle scary but when I gave it a little muscle it stopped nice and solid. I'm convinced the brakes arent weak...it's just pedal feel. I'm sure SS brake lines will make it a little better. Anyone notice a difference when upgrading to 4 piston brakes?

Rob

Last edited by Coolguy949; 02-26-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: How much does an upgrade like that usually run?

Originally posted by ngl1145
How much does an upgrade like that usually run? I think I may do that if it really helps with the soft feel. It's weird how the ES and the RX feel like they have more powerful brakes. Or if I upgrade my calipers.. that should help too right?
the lines are like 100 bucks and install it depends on where you are..... for me it's probably about 100 bucks too coz' you need to bleed the whole system afterwards
Old 02-27-03, 06:01 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I would ask the dealer to let you drive another GS. After reading your post yesterday, I paid close attention to my brakes and they do not require any significant pressure to stop the car. Very similar to my wife's RX300.

They are not however as linear as your BMWs and as mentioned in other posts can be sort of grabby.

I also have an issue when it rains - they seem to not want to release as I take my foot off the brake and there is a strange noise about 1 or 2 seconds later, coupled with a jerking motion, which I assume is the calipers finally releasing.

Seriously, go drive another GS and see if the brakes feel the same.

Doug
Old 02-27-03, 08:34 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheapest way to a firm padel feeling is install the SS Brake Line. Trust me, I have the BMW 330i, I know the OEM BMW feeling of the braking.

The easiest way to get you GS surprior brake feeling is SS brake line.. which should run about $130 per set.

Quick Reply: Question about GS400 brakes