Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers vs. springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 09:49 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

good stuff... i needed that info..
Old 12-07-06, 10:08 AM
samster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lols okay who changed out to coilovers!!? anyone got a strut/spring combo for sale now!? lols
more suspesion question what causes struts to blow out? and i really don't want to purchase a 1000$ + coilover set cause of the worry to replace a blown system? with struts and springs u can replace them individually but with a coilover set that is least likely. I ride roughed up roads daily in NYC and i don't need to tight of a suspension, but im afraid that if i do go struts and springs the GS is still gonna float like a boat? i just want to reduce the the floating feeling doin 80 over little dips and i feel like i have no control of the car for a qwick 2 seconds when its coming out of it. I also want a comfortable ride so im lookin for 50/50 more improved proformace but also have the comfort. Not all out handling and have my coffee spilling all out and with all these dips and potholes in NYC. The ride height can stay factory or maximum 1-1.5 drop. I'm lookin for a stiffer suspension then factory but not to harsh of a ride as coilovers? if u guys rode coilovers in nyc highways u would understand. If i reside anywhere esle i wouldn't mind riding on a welded up suspension.
Old 01-31-07, 09:21 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Buy the Dazien springs with a stronger strut. Cheap, nice drop. I'm running 19's with a finger cap and 3/4 of finger cap in the back. Go to there website Dazien.com I think it is. Real could spring. 1.9 in the front and 1.2 in the rear. The drop is real aggressive, but not to the point were the tires are going to tuck. Handling is very good and the overall ride quality does not go away and you can still align your car without being out of spec. My IMO if your on a budget I would pick this set-up anytime over a coilover. Only set back you can't adjust the ride height, but who cares you won't have to.
Old 10-12-07, 12:19 AM
dnuthevipe
Driver School Candidate

This is a great thread I must say, I've learned much just reading everyone's experiences and comments. I just purchased a 07 GS350 and was wondering if any of the setup's people are talking about in here will work for my car, and if so who much.

I also drive a lot in the pot hole infested city and will have a baby in the car sometimes, but I love the look of lowered ride. Perhaps 1.5 finger front and 1 finger in the back, nothing too aggressive. Will replacing just the springs help me achieve this? I'm mainly interested in look and ride quality and not so much on performance, however still an important factor, since it's my wife's car and she'll be cruisin around town with the kid, but looking cool . I also plan on upgrade my wheels some day to 19 or 20's over the stock 18, but I don't think this will pose a problem after reading the thread. Thanks
Old 12-08-08, 02:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For people who may need to replace their shocks and springs...they should consider coilover since it cost just about the same.

If you are cheap like I am...then you just buy the springs and everything else remain stock (that might come back to bite me).

I think i got an eibach sports for 200 bux new...haven't installed it yet ;no tools and help
Old 12-08-08, 02:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 239 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
For people who may need to replace their shocks and springs...they should consider coilover since it cost just about the same
Which coilover system costs $500? (that's generally the cost of a spring and strut combo)

Unless the prices of a coilover suspension has dropped drastically in the last two years, I highly doubt you can find a coilover system for the same price as a spring/strut combo.

For a coilover system - you're looking at a minimum, double the cost.
Old 12-08-08, 03:31 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

springs are atleast 200 bux + 4* (shocks) is close to $600 bux minimum. KYB are about 100 bux each.
Old 12-08-08, 06:28 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 239 Likes on 133 Posts

springs are atleast 200 bux + 4* (shocks) is close to $600 bux minimum. KYB are about 100 bux each.
So which coilover system costs $600?
Old 12-08-08, 08:41 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Well, considering the time you save to install and the benefit to adjust..It's worth it to go coilover. Not to mention doing LS400 brakes...you'll need RCA (not much but having coilovers will compensate).

Some ppl go for bilstein shocks+ springs; way expensive combination.

You can find coilovers for around $1,000.oo now...it's just a little bit more.

I,myself, is going the for eibach sports for a 1 inch drop and no upgrade to shocks...if I did, I woulda jumped to coilover since I believe it's worth it. I guess it's a matter of value... You can probably find coilovers for around 800 now.

Last edited by sam430; 12-08-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 11:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, considering the time you save to install and the benefit to adjust..It's worth it to go coilover. Not to mention doing LS400 brakes...you'll need RCA (not much but having coilovers will compensate).

Some ppl go for bilstein shocks+ springs; way expensive combination.

You can find coilovers for around $1,000.oo now...it's just a little bit more.

I,myself, is going the for eibach sports for a 1 inch drop and no upgrade to shocks...if I did, I woulda jumped to coilover since I believe it's worth it. I guess it's a matter of value... You can probably find coilovers for around 800 now.
maybe he shoulda asked this......What GOOD coilovers can you get for that price. the 800 coilovers probably ride either so crappy or stiff no1 will want them! excpet maybe megans which r kinda cheap but im not to fond of them
Old 12-11-08, 10:26 AM
coba
Driver School Candidate

Default 98 gs3 spring / wheel combo advice

Not trying to hijack the thread and I have gleened alot of info but would like some final thoughts before i make a choice...

I get the advantages etc of coilovers etc but here is what i want to do... clean and easy

which springs and wheel offsets would acheive the following!

1. springs with the most agressive drop (Diazen, Eibach,Espelir,Tanabe,tein)
2 can i get away with the Diazen or tanabe or espelir (biggest drop) and 18' or 19' and
not worry about rubbing ? and of the three... best ride
3. Do not want to roll fenders
4. keep the ride as non harsh as possible, don't want to autocross the car
5. either 18's or 19's depending on what wheel i find that i like - staggered.

personal views on people driving any of these combos / setups would be appreciated

Last edited by coba; 12-11-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 12:09 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
1. daizen, espelir, and tanabe DFs are most aggressive and > tein (eibach only drops about 1" all around)
2. tire offsets? didnt know tires have offsets. if you're referring to wheel offsets, then gear towards conservative offsets (high 30's, even 40's in rear)-since you want to avoid fender work
3. get 19s. 18s isnt much of step up from oem 17s. also, the ride still isnt that bad on 19s...but thats personal preference.
Old 12-11-08, 02:33 PM
coba
Driver School Candidate

Default 98 gs3 spring / wheel combo adv

Thanks 4Nt... good info

Can i get away with any of the more aggressive spring drops... ie tanabe daizen etc and either 18' or 19' and high 30 or 40 wheel offset and not worry about fender work and or rubbing... bolt on and go?

and of those springs any suggestions on the best ride of the 3
Old 12-11-08, 02:40 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i've had espelirs and loved them. i heard the other 2 ride just as well.
Old 12-11-08, 04:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
So which coilover system costs $600?
I agree with you Hameed. The only coilovers I can find for that much is maybe some NEX coilovers on Ebay when they're at a discount.

For most younger fellas out there, ride quality is not their main priority. It's getting low without having to spend insane amount of money; thus, these coilovers are attractive. But when it comes down to it, I would want to spend more money on quality sets. After all, the springs/shocks are what holds your car up. My buddy's K-sport coilovers snapped one of the shock's shaft on his EP Civic hatchback. He had to crawl home on 3 wheels. I will dig for pictures, but it wasn't pretty.

If you know the ride height you want, then there is nothing wrong with springs. Coilovers are benefitial, but most people dont use them for what they're intended for. Everyone does it for ride height.

Most bilstein/spring combo are $850, and thats for quality parts. In comparison, the Tein SS (bottom of the line Tein) is now $1350. Heck,even the KYB/spring combos are maybe $550-600. Way cheaper if you buy used springs.

So if you find the springs that lowers the right amount, there is no reason to go with coilovers unless you want that flexibility for a mere $500 more

Quick Reply: coilovers vs. springs/shocks