Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein H-tech on F-sport Shocks Big Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 06:37 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein H-tech on F-sport Shocks Big Question

I know its a beat up topic f-sport shocks + insert this spring here, I just wanna gather your inputs folks

curious on how tein h-tech springs would comply with f-sport shocks. I have a set sitting here in my garage, and would want to use it. As for tein H on stock shocks. It rides great in terms of comfortability close to stock, which are compliant in our roads bumps, dips, and poor road construction. Well I don't want to loose the stock like feel but these shocks are sitting in my garage and I'd rather use it or sell it. and I think the f-sport shocks seats lower with stock shocks and tein H springs.

Before when I was on f-sport springs on f-sport shocks it was nice until the seats settled and the spring compressed fully on the cars weight (increased the spring rate probably since its compressed during the cars weight and its progressive nature being stiff when compressed) in which gave a rough and not so pleasant ride. Wide f-sport springs alone on stock shocks it was the same also unpleasant. So I think the roughness and stiffness of the ride is on the springs not on the shock?

f-sport springs on stock shocks feel underdamped because of the high rates, and previously on a thread of chikoo on stock springs with f-sport shocks which has almost the same rates of h-tech maybe 10% stiffer on the Teins it worked out well

Since Tein H-techs are Linear and has a softer spring rate
5.6kg/mm frt
5.8kg/mm rear
would it still give a nice, comfy plush ride adding the performance factor of the F-sport springs on the corners

Last edited by albertgoq; 07-12-14 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 05:03 PM
Toronto350
Driver School Candidate

I have h-techs on f-sports and 18s, although I came from base model suspension (non-sport) so I'm not sure if I can make a comparison.

The Good:
This setup is a BIG improvement over stock in terms of road feel and handling. You feel everything in the road without too much choppiness and the car corners great.

For the first 5k they'll feel a little stiff and then it feels softer once the shocks break in.

The Bad:
BUT they can be quite harsh when hitting any sharp bumps or potholes over 1". Also I kind of feel like the spring / shock combo isn't quite matched. There have been 2 occasions on highways where the road design got the car bobbing up and down for 10-20 seconds. The springs feel a bit too soft for the shocks, but that's just my gut.

So I would describe the combo as a little harsh but slightly bouncy too (the car always seems to be "vibrating" a bit", but I do like it better than my original non-sport stock suspension and the harshness / bouncing / vibrating has gotten much better after 1.5yrs and 10k miles.

Last edited by Toronto350; 07-16-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 06:29 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Should the softness of the spring (tein h) be able to be controlled by the firmer f-sport shocks, since it is firmer than stock thus reducing the bouncyness or springyness?

Is that f-sport shocks (by bilsteins) or f-sportk pkg shocks you are using

Last edited by albertgoq; 07-16-14 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 05:24 PM
Toronto350
Driver School Candidate

They are the f-sport accessory shocks. I read that Tein H-tech springs are a little softer than f-sport springs. I actually think that it would ride better with slightly stiffer springs. Almost seems like they don't quite have enough power to push back against the shock effectively if that makes any sense.

My stock suspension was way more bouncy (big bounces) and the h-techs / f-sport it's like constant little bounces. But this has gotten a lot better over time as the shocks broke in and softened up a bit. Maybe I'm being too critical - I don't know.

Summer driving it rides pretty well, but in the winter when the tires are cold (below 0) it's pretty harsh.

If you do install them please post as I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 07-17-14, 07:30 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Yeah thats what i'm really contemplating is to install the f-sport shocks on tein h-springs. Currently my teins h's are on the stock standard shocks, which I am okay with the ride slightly slightly stiff but not harsh almost like stock. So as much as possible when I install my f-sport shocks, I want them to have the same feel of h-techs w/ stock lexus shocks. Before on f-sport spring and shocks in my taste it's quite harsh whenit hits the stiff side of the progressive springs since fsport springs are 6.6kg frt
7.0kg rear
At stiffest compression,

if they are playing at the soft and middle compression/rate of the spring its ok so thats on the 4.5kg to 6.0kg rate of the f-sport springs they ride good
Old 07-19-14, 09:01 PM
skinnie
Rookie

since you already have the f-sport shocks laying around. Why don't you just experiment and install them? Don't like the ride uninstall them them and put stocks shock back on. =)
Old 07-20-14, 08:10 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skinnie
since you already have the f-sport shocks laying around. Why don't you just experiment and install them? Don't like the ride uninstall them them and put stocks shock back on. =)
thinking of doing that, its just the hassle when you don't like the setup that you need to bring it back again to the previous setup
Old 07-20-14, 11:15 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by albertgoq
thinking of doing that, its just the hassle when you don't like the setup that you need to bring it back again to the previous setup
Or you can pay!
Old 07-21-14, 12:47 AM
albertgoq
Pole Position

just dropped by my trusty aftermarket installer and the mechanic strongly opposed on installing the f-sport shocks on tein h-tech springs as it will significantly reduce the ride comfort that I have with tein H and stock shocks. If I wanted the performance side then it would be good but since this is almost a daily drive he said if I want to maintain the stock characteristics just leave it on stock shocks.
Old 07-30-14, 07:34 AM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Amendum to my Tein H-tech and F-Sport Shocks:

I bit the bullet and is on day 3 of the install and so far it rides better than H-tech on stock tokico shocks. First day of the install it was firm/stff but as the shocks gets worked out and adjusts to the weight of the IS, it's breaking in slowly. I can now say it rides 90% like stock with the performance of the F-sport Shocks and Tein Springs to attach the corners! I hope i don't jinx it, and the shocks soften up as it racks up more kilometers So far previous road un-eveness and bumps I can run it like I was on stock suspension, but still not 100% like stock but still a great improvement from stock shocks.

One minor thing though, the lower spring rubber insulators does not snuggly fit on the F-sport spring perches, so when placed it becomes like a quasi lifter thus lifting the car 2mm to 4mm estimate. Would it be an issue if I remove the lower rubber spring insulators?

Some pics I manage to take during the install

Bushing Reset using the crocodile jack to put pressure to the lower arm of the rear sspension