Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

installing coilovers on IS250, need help with what alignment components i need

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 02:58 PM
LEX250SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing coilovers on IS250, need help with what alignment components i need

Im putting coilovers on my lexus is250 and plan on lowering the car about 3-3.5 inches to eliminate any wheel gap so it will be nearly tucked or maybe even tucking. What are all the alignment related components i should need to properly align the car if i plan onj lowering it that much?
Old 04-02-14, 08:58 PM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

To save the hassle in the long run, i'd order Megan front camber arms, Rear camber arms, Traction rod and Toe arms, but i believe a lot of guys here could say you be fine with the natural camber, but if your're going to go with a wider wheel i'd upgrade to save your tires.
Old 04-02-14, 09:05 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

you dont really need all that stuff.....

if you plan on going coilovers, and slamming it as you mentioned, then just go get a standard alingment. as long as your toe is good you wont kill tires as fast. as far as camber, you will have natural camber being far lower. other than that youll be fine, i wouldnt( and didnt) run out and get camber arms until i went very aggressive wheel fitment and i actually needed the extra camber
Old 04-02-14, 09:33 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on what yourultimate plan is. Do you want to slam it and keep everything as close to stock as possible? Or so you want crazy fitting wheels and lots of camber at the end of the day? It all depends in what you want cause all those parts mentioned above are really to assist in getting all your specs back to normal after lowering. Many of us use them to get the most negative camber to get wheels to fit. Perfect toe is Always good and will keep tires from going bad. Good luck.
Old 04-03-14, 03:44 AM
LEX250SC
Driver School Candidate

yea alll fo you have replied with some great info. ill be more specific so you guys can reply and give me some mor answers.

im running 20x8.5s in the front and 20x10s in the rear. front tires are 225/20r20 and rears are 255/30r20. definitely went with the tires being streatched in for fitment reasons. i have 2" lowering springs on the car right this second and it just doesnt do the job so thats exactly why im stepping the game up and going with coilovers. I plan on adjusting these coilovers down as low as i can reasonably go without ripping fenders off. a little rub going over speed bumps etc.. is no big deal. Seeing that i have 2" lowering springs on the car right this second and no rub at all with the 20" rims i imagine that i could run atleast a 3" drop on this car without any running issue but again im not positive that would be how much im lowering the car, i would have to see once i actually have the coilovers on the car. As far as the camber goes, i believe the is250 cars come factory with 1 degree of negative camber, camber not always a bad thing unless its just so horrible it wears your tires down like no other. i want my 20's to work with this car being pretty much slammed on top of these tires so thats the fit i want to be with. i have the spc ball joints in the front of the car, maybe thats enough for a drop as low as 3"? not sure, youll help me out. as far as the rear goes, i can always install the camber arm in the rear to help with camber in the back.

i dont mind haveing some negative camber, i understand we have to in order to run a particular setup on the car so basically i want to be able to get it as close as i can back to factory spec, keeping in mind i want to fit the wheels properly but also dont want my tires to last 4 or 5,000 miles. help me out guys. going to be installing the coilovers and any other components next weekend.
Old 04-03-14, 06:15 AM
LEX250SC
Driver School Candidate

another question was so if i slam it with the megan coilovers and have the spc adjustable ball joints in the front would that be enough to clear the 20's?

what im geting from this is that i should order the rear toe arms most importantly
Old 04-03-14, 07:01 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

I had 20x9 and 20x10.5 on 225/30/20 and 255/30/20. I had Megan LP coils and Megan camber arms maxed out to negative. Mine was excessively low though. So to answer your question, yes what you have will work. I'd say since you already have the SPC up front then just get the Megan camber arms in the rear. Or you can try lowering it and drive it around for a bit and see if you really need them in the rear. Here is a photo for reference. I was the lowest on 20's static. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails installing coilovers on IS250, need help with what alignment components i need-side-shot-st-hella-flush.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 12:19 PM
LEX250SC
Driver School Candidate

the car is beautiful sffd103. really is! i went ahead and ordered the megan adjustable control arm for the front allowing me to adjust camber +/- 3 degrees in front, should be plenty. I also ordered the megan toe arms and camber arms for the rear. Im pretty sure that thats plenty to get a setup like you have on your car? correct me if im wrong on that. get back with me asap, car looks so nice man. would like to have the stance very similar, maybe a hair higher than yours. i wil post pics after all the works done

Last edited by Sffd103; 04-03-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 05:20 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by LEX250SC
the car is beautiful sffd103. really is! i went ahead and ordered the megan adjustable control arm for the front allowing me to adjust camber +/- 3 degrees in front, should be plenty. I also ordered the megan toe arms and camber arms for the rear. Im pretty sure that thats plenty to get a setup like you have on your car? correct me if im wrong on that. get back with me asap, car looks so nice man. would like to have the stance very similar, maybe a hair higher than yours. i wil post pics after all the works done
That should do it. You'll have all the adjustability you need. Good luck. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-05-14, 11:37 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

Bringing this thread back...

Im planning on lowering on bc coils, about 2 inches .. I have an awd 250...
Im worried about this "toe " i keep reading about everywhere, but I can only find REAR toe arms
(Not even for awd).. What about the front?!
What about a camber kit?
Running 18x8.5 225/40/18 all around
Old 12-06-14, 05:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The fronts have a factory toe adjustment I believe; I'd assume the AWD has this ability like the RWD.

Camber arms or aftermarket LCAs and aftermarket UCAs up front or OEM UCA with a SPC ball joint.
Old 12-06-14, 10:32 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
The fronts have a factory toe adjustment I believe; I'd assume the AWD has this ability like the RWD.

Camber arms or aftermarket LCAs and aftermarket UCAs up front or OEM UCA with a SPC ball joint.
Yeah I'm looking at SPC ball joints up front...
Is toe adjustable in the rear? (oem suspension)
Old 12-06-14, 10:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

I had the Figs adjustable toe links in the rear. Much better quality that the Megan for a bit more money.
Old 12-06-14, 11:12 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I had the Figs adjustable toe links in the rear. Much better quality that the Megan for a bit more money.
What about the front?
I will look into purchasing rear mega arms from figs...

I can't seem to find any front camber arms for the awd is250
Old 12-12-14, 02:28 PM
JDM FINEST
Rookie

Good insight!

Quick Reply: installing coilovers on IS250, need help with what alignment components i need