Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

350 adaptive suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 09:54 AM
Stickyiqqy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 adaptive suspension question

Hi,
I am new to Lexus and I have not yet purchased a vehicle but will do so very soon. I am debating between the 2014 IS 250 AWD F-Sport ML package & 2014 IS 350 AWD F-Sport ML package. Can't decide if I want the better fuel economy even though I have checked various websites like fueleconomy.gov & fuelly.com that show the 2 not being far off on gas mileage.

Anyways my question is about the 350 F-sport adaptive suspension. Since the car comes with adaptive suspension, is it not possible to put on after market springs or coilovers? Or can you put on after-market springs/coilovers but the adaptive suspension feature is disabled?

Curious to know and if anyone has an answer or opinion that would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-16-13, 11:40 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Coilovers eliminate the S+ mode on 350's.
Springs do not.

250's don't come with S+ mode, so you can do as you please with them.

I have a 350 F Sport and would rather keep the S+ and just put springs. We have RS*R Downs and Super Downs, Tein S-Tech and H-Tech, and Tanabe I think...
Old 12-16-13, 01:43 PM
Stickyiqqy
Driver School Candidate

Hi Bucanero,

So adding springs to lower the vehicle does not eliminate the S+ mode. That is great news. I am leaning toward the 350 as if the gas mileage is about par may as well get the extra 102 hp.

Thanks for responding so quick.
Old 01-20-14, 02:16 PM
Wilnard
Driver School Candidate

I have a question I dropped my car on tein s tech springs and still have my sport plus but why is my camber so far off in the rear even after my alignment rear driver side is at -1.37 and passenger rear is at -2.56 is this normal ? I have now camber arms and I know the car has negative camber stock but I'm a little confused I have a set of 19 on it too I wish I could post a pic but I don't know how lol
Old 01-20-14, 08:05 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilnard
I have a question I dropped my car on tein s tech springs and still have my sport plus but why is my camber so far off in the rear even after my alignment rear driver side is at -1.37 and passenger rear is at -2.56 is this normal ? I have now camber arms and I know the car has negative camber stock but I'm a little confused I have a set of 19 on it too I wish I could post a pic but I don't know how lol
Get another alignment.
Old 01-21-14, 07:27 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coilovers will only get rid of the adaptive suspension setting on S+ mode. There are many more things that S+ modes does to the vehicle besides change strut compression.
  • stock setup - two preloaded strut settings; one height
  • springs change only - two preloaded strut settings; one lower height
  • coilovers - at least 16 manually adjustable strut settings; raise or lower the vehicle at any height you'd like.
  • bags - well....they're bags

The adaptive variable suspension, while cool, is pretty limited. If the S+ mode suspension settings are enough for you then keep it stock and just change the springs. If you need more flexibility in your suspension then upgrade to coilovers. I love my coilovers on my 350 and I still throw it into S+ everytime i start the car. Only time i revert back to normal mode is on the freeway cause it wont shift into the 8th gear...ever. lol.
Old 01-21-14, 07:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you want the stiffer suspension and steering without the tranny and throttle being so aggressive, put it in Sport+ and Snow mode
Old 01-22-14, 08:19 PM
breezytint
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use manual shift while in s+ ....u can shift through all 8 gears.

Originally Posted by r0shiro
Coilovers will only get rid of the adaptive suspension setting on S+ mode. There are many more things that S+ modes does to the vehicle besides change strut compression.
  • stock setup - two preloaded strut settings; one height
  • springs change only - two preloaded strut settings; one lower height
  • coilovers - at least 16 manually adjustable strut settings; raise or lower the vehicle at any height you'd like.
  • bags - well....they're bags

The adaptive variable suspension, while cool, is pretty limited. If the S+ mode suspension settings are enough for you then keep it stock and just change the springs. If you need more flexibility in your suspension then upgrade to coilovers. I love my coilovers on my 350 and I still throw it into S+ everytime i start the car. Only time i revert back to normal mode is on the freeway cause it wont shift into the 8th gear...ever. lol.
Old 01-24-14, 07:57 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by breezytint
Use manual shift while in s+ ....u can shift through all 8 gears.
good to know... =)