Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Upper Control Arm Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 09:29 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not to happy with my driving experience.

I recently replaced my lower control arms with supra one's. Also replace the rack with new tie rods. Motor and tranny mounts. Four brand new tires. Also put supra shocks/springs with new mounts on the front. 97 SC400, 125k miles, with 18x8 wheels.

The problem is the car is very harsh over bumps and after 3k miles has developed a "tremor" again. The front end also feels loose going over potholes and such. Alignment is good, wheels have been rebalanced again. Yesterday I put yet another new tranny mount on since the other one looks squished again. It only had 6k miles on it ( I replaced it a few months prior to everything else) . Didn't seem to help the car much and actually feels more clunky in the driveline.

The only thing I have not replaced are the front upper control arms. I will probably replace those now but if that don't fix the tremor and harshness, what else should I be looking for??

Thnx

Last edited by gtsfire; 11-12-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:31 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Should add that I have retorqued the front subframe also. Also, it has begun to tramline a little again.
Old 11-13-13, 12:44 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Uh, that sounds like a tough one. i also did not replace my UCA bushings but my cars feels smooth, other than a small vibration at 60. maybe change those out to? and check tie rod ends i noticed my ends are torn so i'll have to change those out also.
Old 11-13-13, 03:55 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maserati
Uh, that sounds like a tough one. i also did not replace my UCA bushings but my cars feels smooth, other than a small vibration at 60. maybe change those out to? and check tie rod ends i noticed my ends are torn so i'll have to change those out also.
All tie rods are brand new. I'm very picky about how my car should cruise down the highway. It should have zero vibration or tremors. It's a damn Lexus! LOL

I took a tire off today and used a small screwdriver to pry on the UCA and it seems to move pretty easily back and forth on the bushings with little effort. I'll buy a couple and hopefully it shouldn't be to hard to replace them. I think breaking the ball joint will be the hardest part. I do have a set of new prothane bushings laying around for the uca's but I do not feel like messing with pressing them in and out.
Old 11-13-13, 04:20 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just to clarify you have replaced your steering rack bushings correct?
Old 11-13-13, 04:21 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you still happen to have your old transmission mount? like a picture? were your motor and transmission mount OEM?
Old 11-13-13, 06:07 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
just to clarify you have replaced your steering rack bushings correct?
Yep. They came with the new rack.
Old 11-13-13, 06:08 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
do you still happen to have your old transmission mount? like a picture? were your motor and transmission mount OEM?
I still have it and there's a pic of it floating around here I'll see if I can find it. All mounts are OEM.

Here it is.

Last edited by gtsfire; 11-13-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 11:51 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've fallowed your build and repairs. imo you should go poly. same thing with tranny mount that oem rubber is just going to wear out over time but don't have too much option there. i know your arms and stuff are new but poly is better than oem anyday. you shouldnt be having any problems already with everything you've replaced and your buddy seems to know what he's doing and has a nice shop. the uca bolt tends to bend and wiggle a bit. my drivers side did. could be something weird like that.
Old 11-14-13, 07:58 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

in addition to your suspension; you may want to see what rate tires you have. some will produce more noise than others and distribute vibration through the suspension as well. perfect example; on my jeep i have 235/45/18 blizzaks and a set 0f 235/45/18 michelin pilot sport. the pilots are way noisy and it takes bumps and holes violently! my blizzys are a ton more quiet! check those tires
Old 11-14-13, 11:09 AM
scott101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gtsfire
clunky in the driveline.
Thnx
this makes me think of my friends car when his center driveshaft bearing was coming apart and the driveshaft was tapping/moving around with each revolution. but you would know if it was this.
Old 11-14-13, 02:53 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scott101
this makes me think of my friends car when his center driveshaft bearing was coming apart and the driveshaft was tapping/moving around with each revolution. but you would know if it was this.

yea center bearing can do it too, my a70 supra used to do this, it ended up being the diff, there is a pressure release valve on the top that is spring loaded but somehow it stopped working, i used redline lsd oil in it but it was just bad and overheated. i got a diff from a parts car and it stopped clunking per revolution of the tire, happened even worse at low speeds or coming to a stop.

Last edited by SCstone; 11-14-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 03:10 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of tires and size are you running and what are your wheel offsets?
Old 11-24-13, 12:24 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hmhatch
What kind of tires and size are you running and what are your wheel offsets?

Khumo Ecsta ASX 245/40 on 18's with a 35 mm offset. Wheels are Alessio which is a generic of a name brand which I can't remember. They came on car when I bought it.
Old 11-24-13, 12:27 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

I ordered some new upper control arms. Will advise of differences, if any, in the way it rides and drives.

Quick Reply: Front Upper Control Arm Questions