Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Prothane bushings LCA AND UCA

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 01:43 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane bushings LCA AND UCA

so I ordered the front lower and upper control arm bushing kit off line. It came with all of the bushings and only 6 metal inner sleeves. So am I suppose to reuse the inner sleeves out of the current bushings for the 2 thats missing? Or did the package get shorted? Every picture I see online showes 6 metal sleeves like what I recieved.
Old 11-01-13, 04:47 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Reused your old ones. That's what I had to do.
Old 11-01-13, 05:53 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

okay thats what I was wondering. The vendor on ebay isnt trying to help at all. I keep telling him the paper says their included, but they are not in the box and he is to damn lazy to get ahold of prothane and see if they are included or I have to reuse the old ones. I may just request a refund send these back and buy the over priced Whiteline brand that has the sleeves and everything else thats needed. and call it a day!
Old 11-04-13, 03:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you need to reuse the sleeves for those, its not the vendor.
someone was talking about new sleeves being made recently as well but hard to find.

once you have the bushings out, put them in a well ventilated area that wont catch on fire and take a torch to them. once the rubber burns hot enough you can just hit it with the wire brush and your bushings will come out looking new. if they were stuck to the bolt and you had to grind them off, well there isn't much options on reusing them then.
Old 11-04-13, 06:37 PM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if they were stuck to the bolt and you had to grind them off, well there isn't much options on reusing them then.
thats what happened to me it was a nightmare and put in a temporary bolt but the prothane bushing shredded and now i have to go with the whiteline ones
Old 11-05-13, 10:25 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you bought super pro bushings they come with the inner sleeves
[IMG]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps860e6234.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-05-13, 09:02 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I am having mine done this Saturday but I do not recall the name of the manufacturer of the kit; it also comes with the sleeves. I will capture that info at the shop and share it afterwards.

Edit: the shop uses the Prothane kit with the sleeves included. Being installed as I type ....

Last edited by Duck05; 11-09-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 09:50 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

depends on the kit/package. On my Prothane kit, which was the UCA and LCA only one. they supplied most inners eccept one of the inner sleeves for LCAs (the bigger rear one you reuse it and you reuse your outters.

you reuse all your outter sleeves and the inner sleeve mentioned. if you burn them out you goanna have to scrape all the oem rubber off the inner and outter sleeves. sounds crazy but its not that bad, probably the funnest part besides test drive.

I also vote for super-pro and wish I had gotten thier kits and plan on using them in the future as they provide lifetime warranty.

Last edited by SCstone; 11-05-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 10:03 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my prothane kit i definitely had to burn the old bushing off and reuse that sleeve for a couple bushings.

**NOT TO THREAD JACK*** but can anyone confirm that the front bushings need to be burned out, and the rear need to be pressed out? i fully completed the front by the burn method. but the rear doesnt seem to fit that way, i burned out one of the bushings and noticed the inner shell makes it so the new bushing is NOT close to fitting. i purchased the same front and rear kit from the same person. the front directions state to BURN them out, the rear directions state to have them pressed out, can anyone confirm? my car is not my daily so its been sitting half done in the driveway. =( i dont have a press so i would need to fully disassemble my rear suspension, take it to napa and have them all pressed out if thats the case.
Old 11-06-13, 10:55 AM
SCstone
Pole Position

you dont need a press, a solid vice was all i used with some pipe and sockets. the small UCA ones you can just press out and in. but the LCA just burn them out. leave the outters alone just scape ALL the rubber off.

heres a pic of the kit I got. the smaller ones on bottom are the UCA's (with sleeves) the bigger ones above it goes to the "front" part of the LCA(with sleves). the biggest ones on top go in the "rear" part of the LCA. (NO sleeves) the bigger ones on top need the inners from your oem bushings.

heres burning out the oem LCA bushes.

heres them all installed. notice the inner sleeves, the ones in the back you have to reuse the inner sleeves, they not as shiny as the ones they give you. same order as first pic

Last edited by SCstone; 11-06-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 01:07 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay,Okay. i'm confused, I'm going to have a press.So,do i need to burn them out or just press them out?
Old 11-06-13, 03:27 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

either way you want. Im gonna press mine out then burn the rubber to get the sleeves out.
Old 11-06-13, 04:55 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

I've done bushing jobs on all kinds of cars/trucks. idealy you can do it all by pressing. but for this kit they want you to reuse a part of your bushing (the rear inner sleeve) i dont see why they didnt supply it seince they supplied all the others.

i reccomend buring out LCA all you gotta do is scrape off the oem rubber. if you press them out you need to somehow detach cut or gind the rubber off the inner sleeve easy to go too far with a saw or 1/2 ton hulk smash press.

i found it confusing on the instructions also but after doing it, it all makes sense.
Old 12-08-13, 12:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by SCstone
I've done bushing jobs on all kinds of cars/trucks. idealy you can do it all by pressing. but for this kit they want you to reuse a part of your bushing (the rear inner sleeve) i dont see why they didnt supply it seince they supplied all the others.

i reccomend buring out LCA all you gotta do is scrape off the oem rubber. if you press them out you need to somehow detach cut or gind the rubber off the inner sleeve easy to go too far with a saw or 1/2 ton hulk smash press.

i found it confusing on the instructions also but after doing it, it all makes sense.
very true you need to get to that bushing so you will be taking the torch to it either way. when its on the arm at least it is contained a little bit more and by the time it wants to get out you can take the remaining rubber off with a wire brush.. one on a drill may save you some time.
Old 12-08-13, 07:02 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant wait to finally get my bushings changed. Car is junk to drive with bad bushings and 15x4's in the front.

But from what Im reading here, I need to reuse the outer sleeve (obviously), but on the LCA's, I also need to reuse a pair of the inner sleeves?

Quick Reply: Prothane bushings LCA AND UCA