Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 10:46 PM
tcoff09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, IntegresS!
Love the drop from the RSR Downs but I'm wondering if you are able to go up a driveway with a curb without scraping. My driveway has one unfortunately and I wanna be sure I can clear it before investing haha. Thanks for any info!
Old 09-10-14, 11:33 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by tcoff09
Hey there, IntegresS!
Love the drop from the RSR Downs but I'm wondering if you are able to go up a driveway with a curb without scraping. My driveway has one unfortunately and I wanna be sure I can clear it before investing haha. Thanks for any info!
It's all about angling your car. I learned the hard way. It'll take getting used to, and going really slow up and down driveways will probably **** off the people behind you, but do what you got to do.
Old 09-11-14, 10:00 AM
tcoff09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCSurf
It's all about angling your car. I learned the hard way. It'll take getting used to, and going really slow up and down driveways will probably **** off the people behind you, but do what you got to do.
Well if it's about technique then I should be alright....used to drive a dropped STI and it made it in if you knew what to do. Are you dropped on RSR downs?
Old 09-11-14, 12:13 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think part of the problem with the dropped 3IS is that the nose is kinda long. This makes it prone to scraping a bit more. This is one reason I haven't gone lower because I just don't want to deal with it as a DD.
Old 09-11-14, 06:33 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by tcoff09
Well if it's about technique then I should be alright....used to drive a dropped STI and it made it in if you knew what to do. Are you dropped on RSR downs?
Yeah. This is my first car. My previous vehicles were trucks and SUVs, so getting used to the fact that I had to creep in and out of driveways took a little time. I still occasionally scrape, but it's all about angles. I've been on Downs for about a month and just now finally perfected the angle out of my extremely steep driveway at work haha. The scraping honestly isn't bad. Sometimes you meet a driveway you can't tackle and you just have to park elsewhere. Only issue, which I'm sure you're familiar with, is that the front lip won't clear any parking blocks on the Downs so be careful if you park head-in.
Old 09-12-14, 01:25 PM
tcoff09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mello03
I think part of the problem with the dropped 3IS is that the nose is kinda long. This makes it prone to scraping a bit more. This is one reason I haven't gone lower because I just don't want to deal with it as a DD.
That's really my biggest concern. There's about a 9 inch gap from the radiator to the grill. A squirrel could have a nice home in there haha. The car isn't that low really just the length of that bumper looks to be obnoxious if lowered. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-12-14, 01:27 PM
tcoff09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCSurf
Yeah. This is my first car. My previous vehicles were trucks and SUVs, so getting used to the fact that I had to creep in and out of driveways took a little time. I still occasionally scrape, but it's all about angles. I've been on Downs for about a month and just now finally perfected the angle out of my extremely steep driveway at work haha. The scraping honestly isn't bad. Sometimes you meet a driveway you can't tackle and you just have to park elsewhere. Only issue, which I'm sure you're familiar with, is that the front lip won't clear any parking blocks on the Downs so be careful if you park head-in.
Yeah I definitely leave a lot of room in front when parking haha. It sounds like it's low enough to scrape but not so low that it isn't manageable. Thanks for the info man!
Old 11-23-14, 06:42 AM
zoolster
Driver School Candidate

Awesome pics & research. Any better angle with the Tein S Tech? Thanks..

Originally Posted by ISDAS
Side shots of suspension available so far (on OEM wheels)

TEIN H TECH

TEIN S TECH

TEIN Street Flex Coilovers

TANABE NF210

RSR HALF DOWN

RSR DOWN

RSR SUPER DOWN

RSR Super I - Coilovers

RSR Luxury Best - Coilovers

HKS Hipermax IV GT

Old 12-11-14, 01:25 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe a noob question but for those leasing their cars, can the stock springs be reinstalled if they were swapped out with the r*sr or whichever springs? thanks!
Old 12-11-14, 02:17 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely..^
Old 12-13-14, 06:39 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

for those with RSR Down with spacers. What's the widest spacers can you fit both front and rear without having ANY rubbing issue on stock wheels and tires?
Old 12-13-14, 12:58 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
for those with RSR Down with spacers. What's the widest spacers can you fit both front and rear without having ANY rubbing issue on stock wheels and tires?
I have 20mm all around with no rubbing issues.
I've heard some people putting 25mm on the front for a more flush look, but there's rubbing issues on big dips.
Old 12-14-14, 08:47 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
I have 20mm all around with no rubbing issues.
I've heard some people putting 25mm on the front for a more flush look, but there's rubbing issues on big dips.
thanks for the reply..do you happened to have pictures of your vehicle?
Old 12-16-14, 11:01 PM
rhsoscar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man i can't wait to lower my is250, just got her today! Just debating between tein s techs and rsr downs. Any recommendations?? Thanks 👍
Old 12-17-14, 03:41 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhsoscar
Man i can't wait to lower my is250, just got her today! Just debating between tein s techs and rsr downs. Any recommendations?? Thanks 👍
I'm on the same boat. RsR down looks more appealing. Sounds like they both work well with the factory struts.

Quick Reply: RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down