Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes 101 - Class is in session!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 07:50 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murco
Sweet! I run Goodguys Autocross events these days, have you run a course with the new BFG Rivals? DOT legal, great grip, and last a whole season! Just don't try to run a wet track! lol
PS - I've got a Tirerack hook-up!
Nope have not seen the Rivals yet. I've been out of the autox scene a couple of years. My Z used to be a BS car in SCCA then went halfheartedly into BSP where Evos and S2000's ran the class before they got reshuffled. Was thinking about picking up a BRZ for potential CS use.

Based on a weekend of use (not much, I know) I really think the BFG R1S can last ya a whole season unlike the A6's. Not sure if the autox guys have jumped on these tires much yet.

I'm gonna keep you in mind for the spring!!! Tirerack discount would be awesome since I don't get contingency money these days
Old 11-02-13, 08:30 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Murco,
A brake master cylinder stopper is a simple little device usually seen in Japanese tuning media, nearly all their cars have them, and even some shock tower bars have them built into them such as carbing. It's basically a device that prevents the bmc from deflecting forwards, supposedly it provides better feel.

It seems like some kind of old school trick from when japanese cars didn't have power assisted brakes, Idk what do you think
Old 11-02-13, 07:47 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

my carbing strut tower brace has a master cyl. stopper, its pretty cool.
Old 11-04-13, 11:12 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
Murco,
A brake master cylinder stopper is a simple little device usually seen in Japanese tuning media, nearly all their cars have them, and even some shock tower bars have them built into them such as carbing. It's basically a device that prevents the bmc from deflecting forwards, supposedly it provides better feel.
It seems like some kind of old school trick from when japanese cars didn't have power assisted brakes, Idk what do you think
Ah, I see what you're talking about! Those are to reduce firewall flex under heavy braking and I hadn't heard it called a "stopper" before. In the domestic "Pro-Touring" world we use bracing plates behind the firewall (no strut towers) to increase rigidity in that area and it makes a difference in brake feel and linearity...
On a street driven car I don't know how useful it would be but it certainly couldn't hurt and wouldn't hurt daily usability.
Old 11-04-13, 11:22 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Nope have not seen the Rivals yet. I've been out of the autox scene a couple of years. My Z used to be a BS car in SCCA then went halfheartedly into BSP where Evos and S2000's ran the class before they got reshuffled. Was thinking about picking up a BRZ for potential CS use.

Based on a weekend of use (not much, I know) I really think the BFG R1S can last ya a whole season unlike the A6's. Not sure if the autox guys have jumped on these tires much yet.
I'd love to see what my car would do with those R1S tires but GG Autocross events have either a 200 or 180 tire wear requirement. I don't do SCCA events any longer, used to run BP and BS back in the day. Good times but the rules would allow one particular car model to dominate, GG's has much looser rules and is more fun for me these days.
Old 11-13-13, 06:08 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Brembo brake kit is this? I looked for an SC400 kit and found nothing. I know most guys go for LS brakes, which I will do if necessary, but I'm only on stock 16's right now.

Old 11-13-13, 08:58 AM
94SupraTT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
What say you about all these LS/Supra monoblock caliper conversions to our cars? Most end up with the spongey feeling, and they end up feeling worse than OE brakes. I've always wondered why more don't go with brand new rotors, a more aggressive pad, fresh high temp fluid, braided brake lines and a brake master cylinder stopper of some sort to make the brakes feel better.
I was always under the impression that most SC guys went with the LS or Supra BBK in order to increase braking power. I assume if there was a trade off in feel that the performance would outweigh that. The things you listed could also be done after the swap.
Old 11-13-13, 11:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have the ls brakes in the front and they help the brake feel massively, I reused the stock lines and the pedal feels mostly like stock but the car actually stops much much better. I am sure if you used stainless lines you will get a more performance feeling, but nothing is worse than the OE brakes, especially not the 4 piston LS or supra brakes which is a massive upgrade. Before you couldn't stop from high speeds a few times in a row before you get large brake fade, I wouldn't want to brake too fast and get them hot, but with the LS brakes you can keep braking time and time again and it just clamps down, I am sure the supra ones fade even less as its cast vs aluminum but they both give you upgraded stopping power, I also prefer how much lighter the LS brakes are than the supra units but it depends on how far you plan on pushing your brakes.
I did new rotors, pads and ls brakes, stock lines, and topped off the fluid. stainless lines for a performance car, stock lines are fine for a street car.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-13-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 11:47 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biddles
What Brembo brake kit is this? I looked for an SC400 kit and found nothing. I know most guys go for LS brakes, which I will do if necessary, but I'm only on stock 16's right now.
These are a special order GTR kit with billet calipers, heat shedder pistons, and 14" whisker rotors. They are not going on an SC and the $$$$$ for these is astounding!!!
Old 11-13-13, 11:51 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94SupraTT
I was always under the impression that most SC guys went with the LS or Supra BBK in order to increase braking power. I assume if there was a trade off in feel that the performance would outweigh that. The things you listed could also be done after the swap.
I've not driven an SC400 with the factory master cylinder and LS or Supra TT calipers so I can't speak from experience but I'm willing to bet the Supra master cylinder, with it's larger bore, would be much better suited to either. If someone has done one of these conversions and want to add feel they could certainly swap master cylinders afterward.

My new SC will probably get a Covette 6/4-piston set-up with DRM stainless steel pistons next spring and I'll add the Supra master cylinder. I'm willing to bet those will offer similar performance to the Brembo GTR system, until about 175 mph! lol

Last edited by Murco; 11-13-13 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 02:05 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murco
These are a special order GTR kit with billet calipers, heat shedder pistons, and 14" whisker rotors. They are not going on an SC and the $$$$$ for these is astounding!!!
They would be 1000000x fastarrr stopping if they were drilled. /thread
Old 11-13-13, 05:38 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree
Old 11-14-13, 01:20 PM
Murco
Pole Position

No doubt in my mind!!! LOL
Old 11-14-13, 07:00 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 94SupraTT
Of course they're looking to increase braking power, I'm sure a lot do it for the aesthetics as well. However I meant that some not everybody go about their brakes wrong and end up with a spongey pedal, could just be that they didn't bleed them properly. And yes the things I listed are almost always done at the same time as the brake swap -- however, those things could make stock brakes feel better, as well as leave you all prepared for if and when you do decide to upgrade to Supra or LS brakes. Also, don't call them a BBK, they're oem brakes off another car, not a Big Brake Kit, that shiny brembo goodness posted above is a BBK.
Old 01-18-14, 12:25 PM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

quote: "What say you about all these LS/Supra monoblock caliper conversions to our cars? Most end up with the spongey feeling, and they end up feeling worse than OE brakes. I've always wondered why more don't go with brand new rotors, a more aggressive pad, fresh high temp fluid, braided brake lines and a brake master cylinder stopper of some sort to make the brakes feel better."

I recently did this conversion, and my resulting brakes are NOT spongy feeling at all, and in fact are very progressive and linear in feel Higher pedal than originally also. They are much better feeling than when I started (stock SC400 setup). This is with used stock LS rotors, calipers and pads. Things looked so good I just stuck them in (after dismantling one caliper and finding it like new inside.)

However, I did bleed the brakes a second time as after the first vacuum bleeding the brakes were spongy. I bled them the traditional way and found an air bubble in the passenger front. I never touched or bled the rears, as I clamped off the lines during the job and didn't drip any fluid out.

If you have spongy brakes after the upgrade, you didn't bleed them completely. The original brakes were rather sloppy feeling (although not as bad as some suggest they are), why I decided to do the upgrade. Maybe they had a little air in them, or maybe it was just flexing of the floating caliper design.

Since the original 2-piston calipers and the LS 4-piston calipers use similar (identical I believe) piston sizes, they both require the same fluid displacement to operate (the pistons on the 2-piston setup move twice as far as they clamp both pads to the rotor). If anything, the 4-piston may require a little less fluid as the pads don't have to retract as far to avoid rubbing on the rotors. The stock SC400 master cylinder is perfectly adequate.

I intend to replace the lines with SS, but don't expect a lot of improvement as there isn't much I can find wrong with the stock lines. However, SS lines are almost as cheap as stock, so why not? Can't hurt, unless I don't bleed them correctly.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Brakes 101 - Class is in session!