Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Stabilizer Bar Squeak Courtesy of Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 08:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Stabilizer Bar Squeak Courtesy of Lexus

Coming back from the in laws for the holidays, I developed a definite suspension "squeak" on the drivers side in the front. Sprayed all the bushings I could see with lubricant and it made it better for a little bit. Finally had time to get the car up in the air and take the engine under tray off. I have read about loose bolts on stabilizer bars and broken brackets but everything appeared tight. More lubricant and it sounded a little better but I could still push on the drivers fender and get the squeak. Besides, I wasn't particularly happy with the spray solution, who wants to spray the bushings down once a week?

I was able to get under the car and get some leverage with my legs and press on the body and hear where the squeak was from. It was definitely from the stabilizer bar bushing. Full disclosure, I have TRD sways and bilsteins. Checked the strap brackets and bolts again and everything is fine. Trying to figure out why I was so dumb that I couldn't find the squeak, I noticed that the stabilizer bar straps do not attach to the body. They attach to an intermediate bracket that attaches to the body with four bolts. For kicks I reached up and tried to turn one of the four bolts on the driver side bracket. I backed it out with my fingers. Got one more out with my fingers (two of the four were not even finger tight), same on the passengers side. I do not remember a post saying the loose bolts were the ones from this intermediate bracket to the body but on my 2k1 GS430 they were loose and I would say it came that way from the factory. First time I have seen a Toyota factory let something out that they shouldn't.

I loctited the bolts and reinstalled. Couldn't find a torque spec in my manuals but seems like 20 to 25 lb ft is about right. Tightened all eight bolts, put everything back together, and no squeak either pushing on the fender or driving. I apologize if this has been posted but if it hasn't and you have developed a strange front end "squeak", check those bolts that attach the intermediate bracket to the body. Didn't have a digital camera handy but if you take the under engine tray off and look at the stabilizer bar attachment, it is very obvious the stabilizer bar straps attach to an intermediate bracket that is held to the body with four bolts on each side, bolts are marked with a "10" on my car. Tighten them up and a front end "squeak" source is gone.
Old 12-29-02, 08:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Just noticed on bitkahuna's thread for a front end noise that he mentions the intermediate bracket loose bolt problem. That is definitely the same thing, sorry for the post, but I would still recommend everyone check those eight bolts. I don't know about loosening over time, my stabilizer bar brackets that I loctited are as tight as when I installed. A little loctite on those intermediate bracket bolts should keep everything tight for a long time.
Old 12-29-02, 09:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, just saw the two TSIBs posted by Ethan. Interesting that they have gone from 18 lb ft to 36 lb ft on the intermediate bracket retaining bolts on the 2002 GS and SC bulletin. I also don't know why they specifically say not to use lubricant or locking compound. Obviously this is a problem known to the factory and I can't see how a thread locking compound would foul things up. I definitely don't want to go through this again. Still think around 20 or 22 ft lbs is about right on the bolts.
Old 12-30-02, 07:40 PM
oldguy
Driver

Thanks RON430
I'm a prime candidate for this problem. May wait until I develop a squeak, or until the weather up here warms a little to check it out though.
Old 12-30-02, 08:21 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

At least it wasn't raining on Sunday but no where near as challenging as it would be for you. Reading through some of the posts I have to believe that the only way to get that intermediate bracket to fail is if the screws back out far enough to start getting some twist on the bracket from the action of the sway bar. Once the car is up in the air, it is about a ten minute job. Good long extension, 12mm socket, torque wrench, and a flex joint for one of the bolts and you can be done in no time. A couple of the bolts didn't like to go over 20 lb ft so I would leave it at around that. Just nice to have that Lexus quiet back again.
Old 12-30-02, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually these are some of the screws that you should watch out for when installing the sways. when todd at tm engineering installed the sways for me, he took off all of these bolts, put on lock tight, and put them back in.

he told me that bolts on lexus tends to get loosen up after time for whatever reason. he said an experienced or good installer should always take these bolts put and put on lock tight when installing the sways
Old 12-31-02, 03:05 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I definitely agree now that I have seen how the bar attaches. When I replaced the sways I never thought that the stabilizer bar mounting "straps" connected to an intermediate bracket. And while I agree with Todd, the application of thread sealant is against Lexus recommendation. I still have a hard time believing that thread sealant would be specifically advised against for these bolts but we should be aware that we are going against Lexus recommendation.
Old 12-31-02, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by RON430
I definitely agree now that I have seen how the bar attaches. When I replaced the sways I never thought that the stabilizer bar mounting "straps" connected to an intermediate bracket. And while I agree with Todd, the application of thread sealant is against Lexus recommendation. I still have a hard time believing that thread sealant would be specifically advised against for these bolts but we should be aware that we are going against Lexus recommendation.
oh really? it's in the repair manual? that's funny coz' i don't see any reason why not to use lock tight
Old 12-31-02, 10:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Take a look at the two TSIBs that Ethan posted the link to about the sway bar brackets.