Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Scary Ball Joint Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 08:28 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scary Ball Joint Failure

My daughter who drives the SC400 called me up last week and said, "Daddy, my car is broken" Of course I'm thinking she ran out of gas, or something. She says, "There's like no room for the front tire to move." Yeah, it was really broke. I drove down in my SC3 to investigate and the RF wheel has insane negative camber. I hate that look already, but I really hate that it was because the lower ball joint popped out of it's socket. I REALLY REALLY hate that you can't replace the damn ball joint - oh no - you need an entire lower control arm. Lexus dealer wanted over $900. Thank some deity we share Supra parts and Toyota cost a 3rd of that - which still sux.

I'm so thankful it happened in a parking lot and not on the freeway. I feel bad because she said something was wrong with the steering. I drove it and it felt just like mine when the rack bushings wore out, so I put it off. It could have killed her.

It was really hard to get on my trailer to tow it home with the control arm dragging the ground and no steering.

Old 04-11-13, 08:45 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad your daughter is ok. I would go ahead and get the other side done as well.
Old 04-11-13, 08:53 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad your daughter is ok. My son drives my 1998 SC300 and it has that noise too. The replacement front LCA, what is the part# that you ordered? thanks
Old 04-11-13, 09:05 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glbg
I am glad your daughter is ok. My son drives my 1998 SC300 and it has that noise too. The replacement front LCA, what is the part# that you ordered? thanks
48068-29165

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Glad your daughter is ok. I would go ahead and get the other side done as well.
I checked the other side with a pry bar and its totally solid. No noises, no steering slop.
Old 04-11-13, 09:13 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Happened on mine. Good thing I was just about to accelerate from a stop sign, when I heard a crashing sound, sorta like thunder, then I just pulled over to the shoulder. Soon as I placed it on park, my driver side came crashing down like I switched the hydraulics off of a lowrider. The control arm shaved the inner barrel of the wheels like a cheese grater. Had it towed to a shop and bought good condition used control arms from a junkyard.

This is actually a common problem in the '98-'00 2nd Gen GS's soon as they hit around 75k miles. Not so common to our SC's, but even with the 2nd Gen GS's, it usually happens when they come to a stop or in a stop. I don't know if there's any logical explanation for that though.

I have been checking all the balljoints as a part of maintenance whenever i have the wheels off, ever since this happened too.
Old 04-11-13, 09:17 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip

This is actually a common problem in the '98-'00 2nd Gen GS's soon as they hit around 75k miles. Not so common to our SC's, but even with the 2nd Gen GS's, it usually happens when they come to a stop or in a stop.
Yep, that was one of the first things I did to my GS. Cheaper and easier than the SC.
Old 04-11-13, 09:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for the heads up and glad your daughter is safe.

Is it the 93 SC400 in your sig? How many miles does it have?

Yeah, it's a common thing in the 2nd gen GS.
Old 04-11-13, 10:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
48068-29165
I checked the other side with a pry bar and its totally solid. No noises, no steering slop.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, but I would strongly recommend doing the other side, the toyota control arms are alot more stiff than the lexus ones the suspension may not react the same when turning left and right, and may even cause the lexus one to wear faster.
I regret doing my poly bushes cause I worry about that old ball joint, this is the first I have seen of it coming out completely, sorta wish I had just bought new supra arms. good luck with the swap.
Old 04-11-13, 10:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Glad to hear everyone is safe, but I would strongly recommend doing the other side, the toyota control arms are alot more stiff than the lexus ones the suspension may not react the same when turning left and right, and may even cause the lexus one to wear faster.
I regret doing my poly bushes cause I worry about that old ball joint, this is the first I have seen of it coming out completely, sorta wish I had just bought new supra arms. good luck with the swap.
+1 always replace them in pairs, We will not let a customer replace just one at the shop I know it cost way more but worth it in the end.
Old 04-11-13, 10:58 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Yeah, I know they should be done in pairs, but the car is pretty beat and 200k miles. Door panels, seats, carpet, paint etc are trashed. I'm holding out for a different car. When we got it, my wife and I both worked, now it's just me, so cars get the bare necessary treatments.
Old 04-11-13, 11:11 AM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally understandable, hope you sell it to an enthusiest when you decide to get a different car for her
Old 04-11-13, 11:34 AM
Subjug4tor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
This is actually a common problem in the '98-'00 2nd Gen GS's soon as they hit around 75k miles. Not so common to our SC's, but even with the 2nd Gen GS's, it usually happens when they come to a stop or in a stop. I don't know if there's any logical explanation for that though.
I would venture a guess that it has to do with the front suspension loading/unloading on the stops/starts due to weight transfer. Aside from bumps, cruising at constant speed is basically the same as sitting parked for the suspension.
Old 04-11-13, 11:35 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
48068-29165

Thanks for the part# info.
Old 04-11-13, 11:36 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

every week some one posts about ball joint failure even though its the most common problem our cars have

these only happen at slow driving, and the signs should be obvious
Old 04-11-13, 01:02 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you and your family are ok, that was dangerous.

Quick Reply: Scary Ball Joint Failure