Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers or sways,X brace and struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-02, 04:09 PM
Gstt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers or sways,X brace and struts

hey guys, i got a 2000 gs400 with 20 inch rims

I have a very good offer in front of me for the sways, x brace and struts.

How will that affect the handling in respects to Tein HA's??

I know both are good 2 have, but if i get one, i won't get the other for atleast 4-5months.

Personally i think the coilovers are better because i need a 1inch drop on my 20's and need a better ride.

what you guys think?

Old 12-25-02, 06:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just answered your own ?...drop the ride first..esp on 20s...
Old 12-25-02, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you definitely need a drop to make the car looks nice. big wheels on undropped car is.... weird.... but for handling you definitely need the sways too
Old 12-29-02, 03:47 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Coilovers or sways,X brace and struts

Originally posted by Gstt

Personally i think the coilovers are better because i need a 1inch drop on my 20's and need a better ride
YeAH, like the boys said.... Definetly go with the straight suspension.... But when you say "better ride" what do you mean?? Because I'm sitting on 20's with Tein "Flex" Coils and the ride isn't like the Lexus Luxury your in now... Trust me, if you think you feel those bumps now... But when you MOD anything you have to take the good with the bad... And hopefully you go with the one that out weights the other.... As for me I'd rather the lower center of gravity, the cars bodyroll is now pretty much disappeard, and it just looks plain killer with a nice drop.....

Oh yeah another thing.... If you just want 1" drop why don't you go a cheaper way than getting pricey coilovers?? Go L-Tuned, H&R or another spring/strut set-up.. Much cheaper and it'll get the look your looking for.....

Last edited by MrSypher; 12-29-02 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 03:47 AM
Gstt
Banned

Right now with the 20's the ride is ok.
My understanding was the Tein Flex would give u a better ride feal. My as$ can feel those bumps now,

I did consider the L-tuned SHocks/springs or H&R .
My friend has 2000 S4 with H&R shocks/springs. He can adjust the shocks just like a coilover.
runs way cheaper.

Would a Tein Ha (without the Pillow mount) be good enough for lowering 1 inch and give you still a nice ride? or should i pay the premium and get the flex.

Honestly i would stop the speeding on 20's and only speed when i go to the 17's maybe like 4-5 months in a year.

Is buying the sways, X front bar and upper strut that much improvement that should be considered over coilovers??

Or is it that i can get the flex, not buy the sways and be on my way.

thanks,
Old 12-31-02, 01:01 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Gstt
Right now with the 20's the ride is ok.
My understanding was the Tein Flex would give u a better ride feal. My as$ can feel those bumps now,

I did consider the L-tuned SHocks/springs or H&R .
My friend has 2000 S4 with H&R shocks/springs. He can adjust the shocks just like a coilover.
runs way cheaper.

Would a Tein Ha (without the Pillow mount) be good enough for lowering 1 inch and give you still a nice ride? or should i pay the premium and get the flex.

Honestly i would stop the speeding on 20's and only speed when i go to the 17's maybe like 4-5 months in a year.

Is buying the sways, X front bar and upper strut that much improvement that should be considered over coilovers??

Or is it that i can get the flex, not buy the sways and be on my way.

thanks,
If your only looking for 1" drop don't invest in any coilovers.. But get something like H&R, Eibach Spring/Struts... They will give you what your looking for.. Another thing, not to get confused with is that the Sways and all other braces are going to give you a different support than the dropped and tightened suspension.. But they all compliment each other... Don't look at it like one is better than the other.... With the money you'll save not buying the coils you'll be able to buy some of those braces.... They all work as a team to keep your car straight on the ground... Hope this helps and I hope everything makes sense becaue I just woke up and I'm feeling pretty hungover or someting...

Last edited by MrSypher; 01-01-03 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 11:18 PM
Gstt
Banned

I've already bought the TRD sways, TRD front X brace, TRD upper strut bar. Just waiting for delivery.

Yes I am looking for a 1 inch drop, but what i want to know is that if i go with the H&R and L-tuned setup the ride would be better than now without anything with 20's? 1' lower?

Tein FLEX + 20's =better than now with 20's?

thanks,
Old 12-31-02, 11:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Depends on what you mean by 'better'. The STOCK springs/shocks are going to be the softest and most comfortable, although maybe you get more 'bounce' with your heavy 20's on the stock setup.

L-Tuned springs/shocks have less oscillation, are more damped, and give about a 1" drop all around. They're an inexpensive and great combo.
Old 01-01-03, 12:35 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, what do you mean by "better"???
It'll be a stiffer more solid ride.....
Everyone else got em why not you.... Just do it and see for yourself.... But if I were you I'd put the suspension in first, then add piece by piece so you can feel the difference that each Mod makes....
Old 01-01-03, 02:51 PM
Gstt
Banned

What i mean by better is, better than what i got now?
I have noticed that the ride on 20's has become stiffer, no doubt, but its not that bad. I can't complain 2 much about it.

I want a closer feel to stock 17's if possible. I'm still thinking about maybe selling my 400 and going to the 300 and drop in a stage 3-4 turbo kit. Funny how i started with a 99 brand new 300 couldn't stand how slow it was, sold it, got a 400 and now going back to 300. JOKEs, but back then their was nothing out for the 300.

I might go back to the speeding route so i might as well get coilovers.

Tein Ha and Flex are what i have in mind. I'll probebly sell the 20's and get 19's.

Only bad part is that i got my licence suspending for 2 months until my court date, so i won't be able to comment on the sways and all for a while, but i might still put them on and take it for a spin around the block
Old 01-01-03, 04:23 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

I'm going to have to bring you back to school for this one...
Right now your car sits on 20's with the stock suspension, so that means that your car isn't "stiffer" it just rides harsher than stock... After the upgraded suspension gets installed with the braces then it'll be "stiffer" and you'll really feel what your tires are rolling over... The things you want and the things you have are taking you in the opposite direction than you want to go. Nothing you do will make the ride quality like stock, esp if your sitting on 20's.. My advice to you is sell the 20's get 18's with like a 45 series tire and them upgrade to a L-Tuned suspension.. Then you'll have a car that's ready for speed and doesn't ride that harshly... And plus with the 18's you'll beable to do allthe speeding you want.....
Old 01-01-03, 05:19 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking what about...

the tein cs...i am curious if that setup would give a more lexus type ride feel. i know you can lower the cs bout an 1" to 1.3 inches. they are more comfort fit correct? i have 20" wheels and i am going to go with the tein cs when i do decide on coils. am i correct?
Old 01-01-03, 05:46 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

I'm going to be honest with you, when you go with coilovers your sacrificing your "Luxury" for a more "sportier" ride... And that applies actually to every aftermarket suspension.. Don't get me wrong, with a good high quality fully adjustable coilover you can get a good semi soft ride... Then you have to look at the other factor, the 20" rims and the 30 or 35 series rubber wrapped around them.. That right there kills to ride alone...

IMO if your not going to have your car at the track or in shows don't waste the money for something your not going to get the most out of....
Old 01-02-03, 01:27 AM
Gstt
Banned

THanx 4 Da Schooling

18's, maybe
19's, maybe maybe
17's, no way
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers or sways,X brace and struts-milad-911turbo.jpg  
Old 01-02-03, 01:28 AM
Gstt
Banned