Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What happened to my power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 10:46 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Day 1 complete

Thanks for trying to help man

OK, good to know. Thank you... Hopefully I can get this working soon. Kind of embarassing driving it like this
No problem, I have been in the same boat a few times in the past.
Old 02-03-13, 07:06 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Day 1 complete

Thanks for trying to help man

OK, good to know. Thank you... Hopefully I can get this working soon. Kind of embarassing driving it like this
Ever figure it out?
Old 02-03-13, 09:01 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question, how the hell do you turn the wheels with the car turned off? Doesnt the steering wheel lock? Plus the pump needs to be working so it pushes the air towards a bleeding point (open reservoir or otherwise) no?

I found this video a while ago, hope it helps

Old 02-06-13, 08:02 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Have you checked your kickpanel fuses? I remember i had a blown fuse down there that had affected my power steering. I can't remember exactly which one it was.
+1 I just fixed mine, you need to check a few fuses. I think more than one fuse affects the power steering, but I only needed to change one.
Old 02-10-13, 02:38 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Ever figure it out?
I had it working perfectly for about 2 days, then it went back to whining. It appears as if somehow air is getting into the system

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
I have a question, how the hell do you turn the wheels with the car turned off? Doesnt the steering wheel lock? Plus the pump needs to be working so it pushes the air towards a bleeding point (open reservoir or otherwise) no?

I found this video a while ago, hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzQYcxaPGU
You just put the keys in and turn the car on, but don't actually start the car. It's quite a workout. Cool video, I wouldn't mind building one of those... Although by the time I bought everything it could be quite expensive.

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
+1 I just fixed mine, you need to check a few fuses. I think more than one fuse affects the power steering, but I only needed to change one.
Well it works for the most part, so the fuse wouldn't be the issue I don't think...
Old 02-10-13, 06:53 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I know it is just an air bubble issue but they can be a real pain to chase out in these cars for some reason
One more thing you can try is putting the belt around the p/s pully and on a low speed cordless drill and with the car jacked up have some one turn it lock to losk at least 20 times while you spin the drill which should get it out but only do this after it has sat over night.
Old 02-14-13, 09:01 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xspsi6
I know it is just an air bubble issue but they can be a real pain to chase out in these cars for some reason
One more thing you can try is putting the belt around the p/s pully and on a low speed cordless drill and with the car jacked up have some one turn it lock to losk at least 20 times while you spin the drill which should get it out but only do this after it has sat over night.
I've been so busy with work lately I haven't gotten a chance to go out there and mess with it anymore. I'm going to try and dedicate a few hours this weekend to fixing it.

I'd like to build one of those bleeders posted in the video above

Thanks again for all of your help, greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-13, 10:15 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

No problem let us know if you make any progress on the issue!
Old 02-16-13, 04:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK guys I'm still battling with this and don't seem to be making any progress. I noticed when I open the steering reservoir that there is limited "swirling" going on in there - I'm used to seeing what in essence would look like a toilet flushing.

Several people have mentioned this infamous fuse - can someone please tell me which fuse it is? I have searched and searched to no avail.

Also, people have mentioned cleaning the screen on the rack - can anyone point me to the location of this screen.

It seems as I drive the steering gets progressively worse in terms of the power steering... so wondering if perhaps something is impeding the return line and thus starving the hydraulics.

From the amount of bleeding I've done on this thing, I am no longer thinking it is the issue... Thanks guys,
Old 02-17-13, 01:49 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bled mine as well, and it worked for two days, and now it's crap again. Autozone sells Power Steering Filter for $10, and there was a guy on here who replaced everything and spent about $600, until he realized it was simply a $10 fix. So that will be the first thing I do before ordering a pump. Damn snow is completely KILLING my days off. My brother has a lift that's blocked by snow, and I'm not trying to do any more shoveling after what I did the last week. Just going to have to wait it out.
Old 02-17-13, 07:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Power steering filter? For the reservoir?
Old 02-17-13, 08:56 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

A boss magnafine in 3/8 line size is what you are looking for and if you do that then try the redline fluid as it's thinner thus flows better which is all I personally run in Toyota's anymore.
Old 02-18-13, 01:41 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xspsi6
A boss magnafine in 3/8 line size is what you are looking for and if you do that then try the redline fluid as it's thinner thus flows better which is all I personally run in Toyota's anymore.
What line do you attach this to? And do you think this will help with my problem? It's either

1 - Line is clogged
2 - Rack is bad/clogged
3 - Pump isn't pumping

Or else something I am completely missing. I have barely driven this car since I bought it because of this steering issue and would like to get it back on the road. I know if I bring it to a shop they will just blame the pump when I am fairly confident it isn't the problem.
Old 02-18-13, 03:26 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I put mine in the feed line from the pump also there is an "evo" valve on the rack that has a screen in it that could potentially cause these problems although I have no 1st hand experience with this it may be worth looking in to.
Old 02-18-13, 06:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm trying to get the solenoid off to get to the filter, and if it is the thing I think it is then I don't know how to get access to it without dropping the entire rack (which I just did a couple of weeks ago when replacing rack bushings.)

Quick Reply: What happened to my power steering?