Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How I got a free LS4 BBK rebuild kit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 07:08 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How I got a free LS4 BBK rebuild kit!

True Story, I just had to share. i couldn't make this up if I tried! LOL. Please let me know what you all think? So I went to my local autozone to pick up some brake clean...while I was in there I decided to price caliper rebuild kit for my LS 400 BBK. Wasn't too concerned, because the kit isn't expensive...anyway I asked the sale associate to price the kit for my brake calipers.

Sales Associate: what rebuild kit are you needing young man?
Me: I need a rebuild kit for a 95 LS 400 BBK. It's a 4 piston set up.
Sales Associate: Checking in the computer, she's looking for a 92-94 kit (why? Not sure-I know I said " rebuild kit for a 95 LS 400 BBK w/ a 4 piston set up". Anywho-she responds. "They don't make a 4 piston brake caliper for a LS 400, there's only a 2 piston".
Sales Associate: What vehicle do you need these calipers for? (As if I don't know what I'm looking for).
Me: Ma'am, they're going on a 95 Lexus SC 300.
Sales Associate: Son, you need calipers for a 95 Lexus SC 300.
Me: No ma'am, I need a rebuild kit for a 95 Lexus LS 400 BBK, 4 piston set up.
Sale Associate: Calls the assistant manager over, and tells him that this young man (me) isn't sure what rebuild kit he needs? (Hello people, I standing right here-I can hear you...you know)
Assistant Mgr: We'll look in the system for the rebuild kit you're asking for. Sales Associate is standing there watching, and giggling and looking at me in her mind saying "poor kid".
Assistant Mgr: You say 95 LS 400 4 piston?
Me: Yes sir. (Cause I'm happy someone finally understands me!)
Assistant Mgr: Turns his screen so I can see the brake caliper, and he says "sorry only see 2 pistons for a 95 LS 400".
Sales associate: looks and grins at me.
Me: Sir, it's a picture and you can't see the other two pistons.
Assistant Mgr: I've never seen a 4 piston brake caliper for a 95 Lexus LS 400?
Me: Sir, I have the calipers.
Sales Associate: (Feeling pretty sure of her self now). Tells me, if I show her a 4 piston set up she'll pay for my rebuild kit, and my brake clean!
Me: Bet, I'll take that deal. Hold on, I have the brakes outside in my car. I will be right back.
Everyone is now curious to see what happens?
Me: I walk back into AZ with the calipers in my hand. I put them on the counter. Sale associates looks and says "see only 2 pistons". I take out the brake pads. See the other two pistons?
Sales Associate and Assistant Mgr: (Both turn bright red).
Me: So everyone heard it right, she said she'll pay for my rebuild kit and my brake clean.

People in the store: Starts clapping and cheering for me! WOW! LOL

Fast Forward-I walk out with a complete rebuild kit for my LS 400 BBK, and 2 cans of brake clean! LMAO
Old 01-02-13, 07:20 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow what a story.. how long did it take for the lady to fork over the funds? I wonder how much discount she got??

What a great story.. pictures or it didnt happen! !!! Just kidding.
Old 01-02-13, 07:25 PM
RoyallyGrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha ha Lol. This is epic. Proves how little some people that work at parts stores know about the parts they sell. I wish I had this good of luck. Try and score me a free rebuild kit. Im sure there is more than one part store around that you could do the same to. Awesome win man.
Old 01-02-13, 07:28 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Wow what a story.. how long did it take for the lady to fork over the funds? I wonder how much discount she got??

What a great story.. pictures or it didnt happen! !!! Just kidding.
lol, now you know I'm not going to show what I got until I clean up my calipers, finish my powder coating, etc. No peaking!

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 01-02-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 07:32 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by RoyallyGrn
Ha ha ha Lol. This is epic. Proves how little some people that work at parts stores know about the parts they sell. I wish I had this good of luck. Try and score me a free rebuild kit. Im sure there is more than one part store around that you could do the same to. Awesome win man.
^^^You're so right about that...so many people working in auto parts stores, that probably shouldn't be? Just my 2 cents though...as far as trying with another parts store. Nah man, I'm good. I believe in Karma-so it would most likely come back on me? But seriously, someone here is going to try this? They might not admit to it publically...but they will?

steve
Old 01-02-13, 07:50 PM
RoyallyGrn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
^^^You're so right about that...so many people working in auto parts stores, that probably shouldn't be? Just my 2 cents though...as far as trying with another parts store. Nah man, I'm good. I believe in Karma-so it would most likely come back on me? But seriously, someone here is going to try this? They might not admit to it publically...but they will?

steve
I was just kidding with you man. Its just a job for some people. Some know a lot some dont. I guess it just depends on where you go. I could never pull that off. But I might still give this a shot. It would be so awesome to have free brake cleaner and a rebuild kit that I need.
Old 01-02-13, 08:12 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was too easy.....juz awesome
Old 01-02-13, 08:29 PM
Kayasith95
Driver

Lol autozone sucks
Old 01-02-13, 08:29 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish that all the people that worked in the automotive industry actually had a passion and knowledge of/for cars, but to a lot of them it's just a job to earn money.

who makes the rebuild kit though? i woulda stuck with oem. but rebuilding them is better than not, thats for sure.
Old 01-02-13, 09:18 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by ProperD
i wish that all the people that worked in the automotive industry actually had a passion and knowledge of/for cars, but to a lot of them it's just a job to earn money.

who makes the rebuild kit though? i woulda stuck with oem. but rebuilding them is better than not, thats for sure.
AZ has a few different rebuild kits their selling...I will keep the brand I went with a secret, I don't wont this thread turning into "this brand is better, that brand sucks" thread. lol...but you're right, you can't go wrong with an OEM rebuild kit. My problem is where I'm currently located, there isn't LEXUS dealship close by.

On a side note, I see you're serving in the ARMED FORCES. Appreciate your SERVICE! I too serve...17 years to date!

steve
Old 01-04-13, 02:34 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
AZ has a few different rebuild kits their selling...I will keep the brand I went with a secret, I don't wont this thread turning into "this brand is better, that brand sucks" thread. lol...but you're right, you can't go wrong with an OEM rebuild kit. My problem is where I'm currently located, there isn't LEXUS dealship close by.

On a side note, I see you're serving in the ARMED FORCES. Appreciate your SERVICE! I too serve...17 years to date!

steve
That ended on a positive note. I also have served just over 20 years, in Air Force. Back on thread, did you get them installed yet?
Old 01-05-13, 02:16 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
That ended on a positive note. I also have served just over 20 years, in Air Force. Back on thread, did you get them installed yet?
appreciate your service as well! Now back on track, lol. I haven't installed them yet...right now my SC is in storage back in NC. So in the mean time, I'm collecting parts...working on what ever I can to occupy my time until we're re-united!

steve
Old 01-06-13, 08:29 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol wow gonna try this lol see if it works on my local vatozone
Old 01-06-13, 09:01 AM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by kez
Lol wow gonna try this lol see if it works on my local vatozone
lol, let us know how this turns out?
Old 01-06-13, 09:06 AM
joeazy187
Pole Position

I know how you feel I went through the samething at my local parts store with the same part and 2jzgte radiator hoses. I get a kick out of proving them wrong.

Quick Reply: How I got a free LS4 BBK rebuild kit!