Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

sc300 cornering machine

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 04:21 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 cornering machine

ok guys heres the deal,

I want to turn my sc300 into a cornering machine, i already have supra tt rims, and some 255 tires. now this is my plan

I am going to order some TEIN HA coilovers, then im going to get some TRD front and rear sway bars, then a TRD strut tower bar.

I have heard that the TRD strut tower bar doesnt fit on the sc300's? that the engine is too tall and it will vibrate against it and make noise? is this true?

Does this seem like a good plan? I plan on forced induction sometime in the future, so i know this is a lot for a NA car, but i want it to handle nicely with the turbo.

Does anyone have anything else i can add to make it a cornering machine

Kevin
Old 12-06-02, 04:38 PM
SC2JZ-GTE
Rookie

the TRD strut tower bar will fit if you add an additional plate to make the bar sit higher and it will clear or just add washers. The TRD bar will clear better then the Cusco OS bar. On the sway bars only the front will work, the rear will not fit, but TRD sell them as set. Only Tanabe sell them separately. For the rear strut tower bar u dont need, behind the back seat, that metal plate that hides the fuel tank is already acts as reinforcement to the rear suspension. Tein only make HE for the Jzz30 but you can use the supra Tein HA for your car but not sure if the upper mounts will fit unless you order the Tein HA without the upper mts for the supra. But with that set up and some 245 on the front and some 295 on the rear (must roll fender) you will have fun with WRXs and Awd Eclipses or even some drifting
Old 12-06-02, 07:12 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Sounds like a great plan,

The TRD's are overkill for the SC setup but they will fit with the purchase of the rear mounts.

Todd at TMEngineering.net sell the Daizen Sways that are perfect for the SC and mount up without the extra parts.

Strut tower bars do not make a huge difference but may help under extreme body flex. TurboB6 had some ladder frame reinforcements and lower rear suspension frame stiffeners on the classifieds that would do a better job than a strut tower bar.

The best thing to do is find some grippy tires to make all this stick.

MW
Old 12-06-02, 08:38 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Do-Luck parts

The parts that TurboB6 had are listed on Do-Lucks site:

http://www.do-luck-usa.com/products.html?auto=JZZ30

pcmw,

I would think the front of the car needs more stiffening than the rear. I've read that the spare tire well on our SC’s did a good job on the rear. The Supra needed help in the rear more because of the hatchback and convention gas tank design.

Don't know for sure, just asking to learn more.

Overclocker
Old 12-06-02, 09:05 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Overclocker,

I agree. The front needs some help. But overall, if you stiffin up one part, you cause stress to another part. So the weakest link loses.

I think the sways, and springs give the SC a 200% increase in handling.

I have a fast left right banking turn near my house. I could not take it faster than 35 BEFORE the eibachs, supra sways, and Daizen bushings. Now it is comfortable at 60, and fun at 70.

MW
Old 12-06-02, 09:19 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Cool, good info pcmw.

What are your feelings on Supra TT sways vs the Daizen Sways? And not just performance, but price and difficulty of installation.

Overclocker
Old 12-06-02, 09:40 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, so its for sure that im going to go with the TEIN HA coilovers, and the TRD strut bar.

so whats the deal with the TRD rear sway bar? does it cost a lot for the rear subframe mounts? how hard is the install on those?

I already got some nice tires, but i want to eliminate all body roll

Kevin

PS - I have never heard of DAIZEN? are they as reputable as TRD? if anyone has DAIZEN parts please tell me, cause i was just looking at the control arm bushing, sway bar set and bushings. is it worth the money?

Last edited by lexcoupe; 12-06-02 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 10:06 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexcoupe & Overclocker,

To answer both of your questions. First of all, excellent specific questions.... refreshing from the threads with... Me kAr gotz da sloosh turn'n.

To mount up the Supra sways, you will need two rear subframe mounts that at retail Toyota price run $81.42 each. Then you will need the clamping brackets that attach the bar to the subframe for $7.49 each. So you have to consider that you now spent $177.82 and have done ZERO for your suspension. Add that to the TRD bars @ ~$340 = $517.82. Then you have the Daizen bars built by a true SC enthusiast and daily driver. Built FOR the SC and made to fit the FACTORY install points. The bar is adjustable and can be installed DIY for only $499.

I say the Daizen's may be the way to go. I will be testing these in the coming weeks and filing a full review of the SC, Supra TT, and Daizen Bars. However, I will probably be keeping the Daizens after all the good things I am hearing so far.

MW
Old 12-06-02, 11:21 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

thanks so much for those answers PCMW.

cost is no issue here, so are the TRD worth it for the money that i would put into it? im not concerned about the cost of them. im just concerned about putting good parts into my lexus.

i dont know about diazen because i have never heard of them before. so if you could post your comments about the ride and things taht would be great.

Kevin
Old 12-06-02, 11:38 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexcoupe,

I understand your concerns. You can contact Todd Matsubara @ http://www.tmengineering.net/ about the Daizen line. He is the perfectionist when it comes to aftermarket car parts.

Quality is a huge issue with his company and that is why several of the largest international companies ask him to do work on their show cars.

What is your time frame on this project. If you can wait a bit, I will post up my reviews for you.

MW
Old 12-07-02, 03:49 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

you will probably have time to post your reveiws because i am looking into doing this for the spring project. i just want to have everything laid out just how i am going to need it, and maybe start accumulating some of the things i need now.

Kevin
Old 12-07-02, 12:53 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

I have a little question......the Daizen bars can be direct bolt on to our factory mounts front and rear right???but are the Daizen bars good enough to hold our 3000lb SC? are they thick(diameter wise)as the other aftermarket sway bars for supra's.....if the Daizen bars are good as the ones for Supra's, then it's a good deal.
Old 12-07-02, 01:11 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

2JZSoarer,

They ARE thicker, and built SPECIFICALLY for the SC300. Not a supra. So they definitely are designed for the spec of the SC cars. Because of the different body geometry of the supra (hatchback etc..) these Daizen bars are the best answer.

MW
Old 12-07-02, 02:46 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

pcmw, I 2nd lexcoupe's sentiment. Thanks again for the knowledgeable answers.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think I remember reading that the Daizen sway bars have some sort of adjustment built into them that none of the other bars have. I think it was for the rear but I’m not sure.

Also, isn’t some under steer a good thing for a daily driver? If there’s no sign that you’re at the limit, the TRD’s could be too much for a street car.

Overclocker
Old 12-07-02, 03:01 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Overclocker,

I agree with that sentiment. Sway bars should take a car to a balance. Stock is slushy and comfy, takes turns with boat like smoothness. TRD is rough and squirly, tough to trust because once you take the car a hair past the outside limit, you are dead. The car unloads both suspension points and the tires give up.

I want to test the Daizens to find out if the suspension will handle better but add a predictable and balanced response. The goal is that when I start a turn and set the car on its line, I can feel the four corners.

MW

Quick Reply: sc300 cornering machine