Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan LP Coilovers Not Low Enough in the Front!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 07:55 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Megan LP Coilovers Not Low Enough in the Front!

Hi folks, I got the LPs installed on my 2001 GS430.

I set them to 0 preload and started by adjusting the rear. The rear has HUGE adjustment. I mean I can absolutely slam this car if I wanted to in the rear by not touching the pre-load and only adjusting the lower strut mount, as the directions call for.

However, the front lacks adjustment. With 0 preload, I set the lower shock mount as low as it will go (to the point that it bottomed out and you couldn't lower it any further). With my 245-35-19 front tire, I have 1.5 fingers gap. I need the front to come down another 1/2-3/4"

I see two options. Take the front coilovers apart and have a machine shop cut about 0.5 - 0.75 inches off the threaded tube. This is probably the right way to do it but major work.

The second option is to lower the bottom spring mount. This will obviously violate Megan's 0 preload recommendation. What are the implications of this? I know a lot of you guys are actually doing this but what negative effects can I expect? I don't want any new unwanted noises.

Please advise. Thank you.

Luke

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 11-17-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 10:08 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not getting this.. Megan's slam front and rear, you sure you're adjusting them correctly? The bottom tube is what you adjust. The top two rings you leave alone, the bottom ring and lower tube is what you adjust.
Old 11-17-12, 10:55 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Allow me to restate.

The bottom tube is bottomed out. In other words, the black threaded hollow cylinder is threaded as deep into the shock housing as it can possibly go.

Don't get me wrong, it's low, but nowhere near where I want to be. Like I said, I currently have the rear set to have the tire even with the fender (0 finger gap).

The front however have 1-1.5 finger gap with the lower mount bottomed out. I have read about people complaining about not being able to go low enough with the Megans without adjusting their preload (i.e. lowering the bottom spring perch). Even though a lot of guys do it, it's not recommended because it reduces shock travel.

Luke
Old 11-17-12, 10:57 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure you have LP not EZ lol
Old 11-17-12, 11:01 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by c-low
You sure you have LP not EZ lol
Yes, these are Megan LP

Also, doing a search, I found that this guy also couldn't quite get the lower he wanted in the front with his Megan EZ coilovers with just adjusting the lower shock mount unfortunately: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6092486-post2.html

And here is another guy talking about the limited lowering in the front with Megan: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6135451-post84.html

You guys who are slammed in the front with the Megans, you must be lowering the spring perch and not just the lower shock mount (like is recommended)?

I guess my third option is to get RCAs, but who wants to do that after just spending a small fortune on coilovers! Megan, you guys dropped the ball on this one.

Here is what my car is sitting like right now. As mentioned above, I can't go any lower on the front without screwing with the preload. If I am willing to adjust the preload, I have another few inches of adjustment.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 11-18-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-18-12, 06:50 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

There's something wrong with your coils. There just has to be, lol.. I'm relaxing in bed right now but ill upload a pic of my Megan's a bit later for you to see I'm able to slam all the way and mine weren't maxed in the front.
Old 11-18-12, 08:21 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Here's my EZ's. Maxed out in the rear on 19's. The front could still go down like another inch or more.

Old 11-18-12, 09:33 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow! nice!

How does it ride?I had BC coils on my 3rd gen when I had it and it felt "bouncy" on large pot holes or speed bumps, but smooth other times.
Old 11-18-12, 11:10 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

When you guys say, "maxed out" what do you mean exactly?

I can lower my fronts another 4-5" if I want. But the point is to not touch the preload. I can't lower my front any further if I don't touch the preload.

Is the picture above without touching the preload? I.e. you got it that low with only adjusting the bottom most shock mount (without ever touching the ring that the bottom of the spring contacts?

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 11-19-12 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 08:32 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksedan
Holy cow! nice!

How does it ride?I had BC coils on my 3rd gen when I had it and it felt "bouncy" on large pot holes or speed bumps, but smooth other times.
Thanks. That was actually a year ago. My car has been stock since. I raised the ride and sold the wheels. Under going major changes.

But the ride was smooth overall. Of course a little bouncy over bumps but overall I can't complain.

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
When you guys say, "maxed out" what do you mean exactly?

I can lower my fronts another 4-5" if I want. But the point is to not touch the preload. I can't lower my front any further if I don't touch the preload.

Is the picture above without touching the preload? I.e. you got it that low with only adjusting the bottom most shock mount (without ever touching the ring that the bottom of the spring contacts?
I never touch pre-load that is without touching the preload and only messing with the bottom mount. That's why I said there's no way that yours have bottomed out unless they're making newer batches that don't go as low but I don't see why they'd do that.
Old 11-19-12, 10:44 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Thanks. That was actually a year ago. My car has been stock since. I raised the ride and sold the wheels. Under going major changes.

But the ride was smooth overall. Of course a little bouncy over bumps but overall I can't complain.

I never touch pre-load that is without touching the preload and only messing with the bottom mount. That's why I said there's no way that yours have bottomed out unless they're making newer batches that don't go as low but I don't see why they'd do that.
This is really interesting, especially since I've found several accounts now where people are complaining about the same thing as I am (limited front adjustment). The only explanations I see for this is:

a.) Your black threaded cylinder is shorter than mine for some reason. If I machined down the threaded cylinder, I could go lower as it would prevent me from bottoming out on the inside of the shock mount so soon.

b.) Your spring is shorter than mine for some reason. As far as I know, I am using 12/8kg springs that come standard with the Megan LP C/O's. Are you sure that you are using the standard spring that comes with the LPs?

I'm interested to hear what other have to say about this. As I mentioned above, I can either:

a.) Adjust the preload and drop her another 1/2" - This would be the easiest but limit my shock bump travel.

b.) Get an 18mm RCA - This would be a 2hr garage installation and $150 for the RCA.

c.) Machine down my threaded cylinder by 1/2" - This would require that I remove and disassemble the coilovers and pay a machine shop to cut the threaded cylinder.

I don't want to take anything away from Megan since their C/Os do appear to be good quality, but I'm puzzled at how they would design the fronts to have so much less adjustment than the rears.

I will call Megan and see what they say, as I am not the only one here experiencing this.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 11-20-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 08:33 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

I'm on EZ's not LP's, but they both slam. There are quite a few people on here who are SLAMMED on both LP's and EZ's. My EZ's are straight as they come from Megan. They have not been modified in any way.
Old 11-20-12, 09:48 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I'm on EZ's not LP's, but they both slam. There are quite a few people on here who are SLAMMED on both LP's and EZ's. My EZ's are straight as they come from Megan. They have not been modified in any way.
If we really are doing the same thing (i.e. not touching the preload), then there's clearly a difference in the hardware (length of threaded rod, spring rate/height, etc).

There is evidence of multiple accounts of both sides of the argument here. Mystery continues.
Old 11-20-12, 09:50 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
If we really are doing the same thing (i.e. not touching the preload), then there's clearly a difference in the hardware (length of threaded rod, spring rate/height, etc).

There is evidence of multiple accounts of both sides of the argument here. Mystery continues.
I'd shoot them an e-mail with photos from both my car and your car. You can use the one I posted in this thread and ask them about it, because they have had to have started switching things up recently.
Old 11-20-12, 10:50 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Will contact them because now I am quite curious.

Quick Reply: Megan LP Coilovers Not Low Enough in the Front!