Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what coiloverss??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 04:18 AM
JDMpeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BC's it is. pics soon!!!!
Old 10-09-12, 04:10 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EZ for cheapesst
BCR or LP for bang for buck
D2 or KW V3 for high end
Old 10-09-12, 06:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
EZ for cheapesst
BCR or LP for bang for buck
D2 or KW V3 for high end
D2 = high end?

did you come to that conclusion the same way you did when you posted "my H&R springs are settling, ergo all aftermarket lowering springs settle"?

first things first. they're at the same price point as everything other run-of-the-mill coilover offering that's made in taiwan.

yes, i just said it. "made in taiwan." the D2's are. just like the megan racing LP/EZ series are. and just like the BC Racing coilovers are. google is your best friend if you really want to know the truth (rather than some marketing spew).

that's not to say that just because all three (and everything else in the $1k coilover category) are built in taiwan that they're all the same: between the three, BCR offers a different shock design, and both D2 and BCR offer different spring rates.

i can't comment on KW's since my blood was never rich enough to afford a set, but from ride experiences they are worth every penny you'll spend on them. probably even overkill for daily driving applications. but if you want the best coilovers for street and track, KW's hand down.
Old 10-10-12, 06:45 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What project said. Taiwanese coilovers are, for the most part, on the lower end of the spectrum. A lot of the brands share the same design and internals. Mostly what differs between them is the damper adjustment and shock valving. I agree with reyoasian about BCR and Megan LP being best bang for buck, but I would personally recommend the coilovers I used on my old car, AMR coilovers. They aren't cheap, but they are custom made to order and not off the shelf. From the "Order Online" portion of the website:

"Clients placing orders with us for coilovers will receive a call to be given an estimated ETA and asked a series of questions to help us determine their needs."

I got mine through a group buy and got a great deal on my set. If I can afford to get a brand new set of Megans or BCs, personally I would much rather wait and save up for some quality American-made coilovers with custom spring rates and valving for my own personal use. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty, and to date, have not had a coilover come back for a warranty claim. They've been around since 05.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into an ad for AMR, I just really like their products

Mods, delete my post if I broke any rules, thanks.
Old 10-10-12, 09:48 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
What project said. Taiwanese coilovers are, for the most part, on the lower end of the spectrum. A lot of the brands share the same design and internals. Mostly what differs between them is the damper adjustment and shock valving. I agree with reyoasian about BCR and Megan LP being best bang for buck, but I would personally recommend the coilovers I used on my old car, AMR coilovers. They aren't cheap, but they are custom made to order and not off the shelf. From the "Order Online" portion of the website:

"Clients placing orders with us for coilovers will receive a call to be given an estimated ETA and asked a series of questions to help us determine their needs."

I got mine through a group buy and got a great deal on my set. If I can afford to get a brand new set of Megans or BCs, personally I would much rather wait and save up for some quality American-made coilovers with custom spring rates and valving for my own personal use. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty, and to date, have not had a coilover come back for a warranty claim. They've been around since 05.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into an ad for AMR, I just really like their products

Mods, delete my post if I broke any rules, thanks.
straight from AMR's product page (apparently they have an offering for the 2is...):

Assembled here in the USA...
translation: while the coilovers are put together in the US, but not all of the components are made here in the US...

a little more digging reveals that the springs are manufactured by hyperco, which would explain why they ask their customers regarding usage and driving habits.

it would also explain why they charge a premium, despite the fact that the design is *gasp* similar to eveything in the $1k segment. i'm sure if you price out a set of BC's w/ custom valving/spring rates that you'd get to the same price point as the AMR's.

and i'm sure that the build quality is second to none, but i would be wary of the single lower spring perch that's tightened using an allen bolt vs. the more popular dual locking lower spring perches. i mean, imagine having dialed the desired ride height and preloading, only to forget to tighten that allen bolt... having an unsecure lower spring perch floating around is a recipe for disaster.

i can go on and on, but at the end of the day, most 2is owners w/ coilovers just want to "go lower". i doubt that many care about where their coilovers are manufacturered/assembled.
Old 10-10-12, 10:52 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My mistake in wording there, yes the coilovers are assembled in the US, but they do source out some of the components. Still, when it comes to quality control, I would think that they have a more stringent process in place, especially when you factor in the race-specific coilovers they are able to offer.

You're right, most owners just want the ride height adjustability and damper control. Me, I wanted to be able to take my car anywhere in the city, pot-hole ridden or not, and still be able to get from point A to point B without bottoming out every time I hit a small dip, slowing down to a turtle's pace to go over a speedbump, or scraping every time I go up/down my driveway. My girlfriend also never complained about the increased stiffness and feedback from the road. I asked her why, and she said she was used to it from riding in her brother's stock 350z.

I do also like the peace of mind that comes from the warranty. I was also wary of the single lower spring perch, but after 3 years of use in Canada all-year round, I really have nothing bad to say about them.

I would be surprised if BC's custom-valved coilovers were at a similar price point. If that's the case, the warranty is essentially what would sway me towards AMRs. That's just my personal opinion.
Old 10-10-12, 01:09 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
D2 = high end?

did you come to that conclusion the same way you did when you posted "my H&R springs are settling, ergo all aftermarket lowering springs settle"?

first things first. they're at the same price point as everything other run-of-the-mill coilover offering that's made in taiwan.

yes, i just said it. "made in taiwan." the D2's are. just like the megan racing LP/EZ series are. and just like the BC Racing coilovers are. google is your best friend if you really want to know the truth (rather than some marketing spew).

that's not to say that just because all three (and everything else in the $1k coilover category) are built in taiwan that they're all the same: between the three, BCR offers a different shock design, and both D2 and BCR offer different spring rates.

i can't comment on KW's since my blood was never rich enough to afford a set, but from ride experiences they are worth every penny you'll spend on them. probably even overkill for daily driving applications. but if you want the best coilovers for street and track, KW's hand down.
Well I don't know specifics but I've been looking around for coils next spring. With the reviews I found for the D2 plus its price point I automatically thought it's something of higher end than the typical BC etc.
Old 10-10-12, 05:58 PM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

H&R or Bilstein if they were available....since they arent KW V3.

Would be nice if ST made a kit. They would sell like mad.
Old 10-10-12, 10:24 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-Sport Shocks

H&R or Bilstein if they were available....since they arent KW V3.

Would be nice if ST made a kit. They would sell like mad.
Actually Bilsteins are available... The F-Sport shocks I just put on my car are made by Bilstein. If you look closely at the bottom of the shock you can see the "Made in Germany".
Attached Thumbnails what coiloverss??-img_0890.jpg  
Old 10-11-12, 05:19 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jgbackes
Actually Bilsteins are available... The F-Sport shocks I just put on my car are made by Bilstein. If you look closely at the bottom of the shock you can see the "Made in Germany".
I think what he meant was that Bilstein doesnt make any coilovers for our cars
Old 10-11-12, 11:37 PM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

^ Correct. I know the shocks are Bilsteins, I was specifically talking about a PSS9 version coilover set up.
Old 03-28-20, 10:15 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

i bought BC. pretty happy with the coilovers but i did have to replace the front shocks right after 2 years out of warranty. not expensive but PIA
Old 03-30-20, 09:29 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
i bought BC. pretty happy with the coilovers but i did have to replace the front shocks right after 2 years out of warranty. not expensive but PIA
Any issues with purchasing the needed replacement shock cartridge from BC Racing? Someone posted up on CL here about them not selling replacement shocks once. I purchased three replacement rear shocks through the near 100k life of my previous BCR setup.
Old 03-30-20, 06:05 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Any issues with purchasing the needed replacement shock cartridge from BC Racing? Someone posted up on CL here about them not selling replacement shocks once. I purchased three replacement rear shocks through the near 100k life of my previous BCR setup.
no issues, i bought them straight from the BCR website. shipping was fast. dont bother to call them, they wont pick up, but you can online chat with someone on the website to make sure you're ordering the right parts, just make sure it's the correct cartridge your coilover make/model
Old 03-31-20, 09:18 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
no issues, i bought them straight from the BCR website. shipping was fast. dont bother to call them, they wont pick up, but you can online chat with someone on the website to make sure you're ordering the right parts, just make sure it's the correct cartridge your coilover make/model
Good to know! Not sure what the issue was with that other member with getting replacements; but you and I seem to have had good experiences with getting replacements with ease.