Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My Review of H&R spacers for the GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 04:02 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Review of H&R spacers for the GS

I just had my 25mm or 1inch spacers installed on the rear wheels of my GS400. I have the stock 17' rims. My car is lowered and I have the Tein Flex suspension with L-tuned side skirts and TTE front lip spoiler.

I always felt that the rear wheels tucked in way too much and hence my purchase of the spacers.
I installed them today and looks wise the car looks great and much more meaner looking from various angles.

Test drive results.

Prior to the installation I had a hard time to spin the tires from a full stop and never from a rolling start. I thought it was due to my larger tire size 245/45/17's. I wanted to finish off my suspension upgrades first before getting a TC. I was even debating to change out the differential fluid as Rominl suggested to be able to spin the tires.

Anyway, after installing the rear spacers, the car seems to track better due to a wider stance. But the big difference is now I am able to light up my tires from a complete stop and while the car is slightly rolling. It definately seems much faster off the line.
I am not sure why this is...if someone can explain this to me that would be great.
My theory on it is because the wheels were tucked in the rear and the car mass was resting more squarely on the tires. So from a stop you have the pressure of the car's weight equally distrubuted on the wheels and the wheels have a tougher time to spin. Now that the wheels are slightly wider, the mass of the car is more on the axle and rear suspension and taking some weight off the wheels which lets is spin easier from a stop.
Nothing else has changed the torque, HP is all constant still.

A guy at work argues, this can also be a direct result of lost traction which can also spin the wheels. Also found out after my install that spacers are illegal in NJ.
Old 11-27-02, 04:08 PM
dizoita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its because your wheels are further apart from each other there was some negative camber was made. This is your wheels tilting inward therefore less tire contact therefor less traction. Hehe well thats my theory.
Old 11-27-02, 04:12 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

are they legal in NY/PA?
Old 11-27-02, 04:16 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

would you have to get an alignment if you put on spacers? how much are spacers?
Old 11-27-02, 04:17 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, he is into trucks and by law spacers are illegal in NJ on trucks. Still need to confirm this for auto's.
Sorry, alexus not sure if they are illegal in other states.
Old 11-27-02, 04:23 PM
alexus
Pole Position

did you put both of them on? front and rear? or only rear? also can you make few pictures and post it?
Old 11-27-02, 04:24 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i have my spacers laying around here... i still haven't install them yet.. i'm kinda worry since you said its not entirly safe.. so i might not put them on after all.. depends..
Old 11-27-02, 04:28 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Alignment not necessary to put on spacers. It's only necessary if you lower your car. My car still drive staight and I never got the alignment done. It was only done when it was lowered about 4 months back.
Old 11-27-02, 04:30 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Alexus, I never said they were not safe. I got to 110mph today and it seems fine. The car acturally tracks better around turns because the wheels are set further apart. I said they are illegal at least on trucks in NJ according to my friend.
You can fail inspection with any car that has wheels that extend pass the fender.

With the spacers, the wheels still tuck under the fender so you will pass the inspection fine.
Old 11-27-02, 04:32 PM
alexus
Pole Position

well it's easy to take them off (before inspection) and same easy to put them on (after inspection)

lol
Old 11-27-02, 04:34 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Alignment not necessary to put on spacers. It's only necessary if you lower your car. My car still drive staight and I never got the alignment done. It was only done when it was lowered about 4 months back.
so no tire wear issues?
Old 11-27-02, 04:42 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Can't say if ther will be tire issues. Need to perform a long term test yet on them. Maybe someone else with spacers can answer.

If you buy spacers make sure they are H&R. They are factory equipment on some porsche's

Also, when putting them on, you must you their lugs they provide and use a torque wrench. Tighten using the factory lexus setting, which I believe is 76.

I will take a pictures of them on the car and post later this week.
Old 11-27-02, 04:52 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i can't wait to put mine on just gotta make an appoitment heh
Old 11-27-02, 04:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by alexus
i can't wait to put mine on just gotta make an appoitment heh
appointment?? do it yourself. lol
Old 11-27-02, 05:06 PM
alexus
Pole Position

i suppose i could do that... i'm too lazy to do it by myself would take half an hour for me and 5-10 minutes for them.. you know how fast they can change tires.. so all they'd need to do is just lift my car a bit take off two wheels put those spacers on and put them back.. should not take more then 5-10 minutes..

Quick Reply: My Review of H&R spacers for the GS