Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD Brake Pad - How long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 08:53 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRD Brake Pad - How long do they last?

DOes anyone knows approx how many miles will the TRD brake pad last? I have the TRD Brake Pad on the rear,, I think they are wear out.. 5000+ miles.. is that reasonable?

Reason that I ask is that when braking slowly to a stop.. the car makes a couple loud noise.. almost like ABS comes.. on.

Standing outside of the car and ask the wife to brake slowly and here some noise coming from brake.. so.. I am asssuming that the pad is wear out...
Old 11-25-02, 03:20 PM
JacobT

That does not sound right. The TRD rear pads should last at least 20k miles. Just remove the rear tire and use a flash light to see thru the hole at the back of the caliper. You should see the thickness of the pad. If the thickness id less tha 1/8' then it's time for a new pair.
Old 11-25-02, 05:29 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about TRD pads specifically, but 5K miles of city driving is wa-ay too little for a brake pad.

Also, some pads have bent metal strips that end at the minimum pad thickness. Once the pad starts to wear out beyond the minimum thickness, the metal strip touches the rotor under braking, making a squeaking sound in the process.

You can see that if you ask someone to depress the brake for you.
Old 11-26-02, 08:19 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well.. they last approx 8000 miles... of normal city and highway driving.... don't know why they don't last 20K...

Last night, I check the right rear wheel... and guess what what I see... part of the rotor is start to eat away. Only means one things... pad is complete gone.. metal part of the pad is eating way my rotor...

I remove the wheel last night and confirm that is the fact. outter pad is complete gone.. metal part of the pad is eating away the rotor...

Arg... just order some Rotor and green stuff from Tirerack.. hopefully they arrive on Monday.
Old 11-26-02, 11:08 AM
Lvangundy

I've heard the TRD pads are pretty rough on rotors.

Funny, I'm having the same problem. When I stop my front wheels squeal like crazy and I get this grinding scratching feeling. It feels like the pads are carving into the rotor. They are new pads and rotors.

My calipers are also stiicking. After I brake and when I start to accelerate I fell the pads slightly gripping and it makes the same brake squeak noise for a couple roations.
Old 11-29-02, 09:21 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Originally posted by Lvangundy
I've heard the TRD pads are pretty rough on rotors.

Funny, I'm having the same problem. When I stop my front wheels squeal like crazy and I get this grinding scratching feeling. It feels like the pads are carving into the rotor. They are new pads and rotors.

My calipers are also stiicking. After I brake and when I start to accelerate I fell the pads slightly gripping and it makes the same brake squeak noise for a couple roations.

6000 miles ago I had the same problem. The TRD brake pads were worn out and the rotors were being eaten away. I got new TRD pads and rotors and I bleed the brakes.

6,000 miles later SAME PROBLEM.

I'm going to change the brake calipers this time. I think the brake pads are constantly rubbing on the rotors (the brake pads are not completely clearing from off the rotors once the brake pedal is released)

If anyone have any other suggestions/advice please share. It's a PITA to change your brakes almost everytime you change oil.
Old 12-10-02, 03:40 AM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Yep fellas, the rumors are true! I had the TRD brake kit setup and the rear pads went out at 6,000 miles. I also had to turn the rotors twice during this time. I definately don't recommend the TRD pads. They are WAY too hard on rotors.