Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inner and outer tie rods - ok to go with eBay ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 07:35 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
I guess you took it wrong, i didnt mean to make you mad??? I was just trying to share information as i pull a great deal of info from the guys here.

I think I communicated the same thing to you. I was not nor am I mad..

Not sure if your aware but the research and development claim is for the 1uzfe itself not the sc series.

Very Aware. Found this out doing my research before buying my SC over 7 years ago.

Also nobody was trying to claim an autozone part was superior to oem, as they are manufactured to oem spec.... not any different so why would they be superior?

My point exactly. Thank you for understanding.

Just trying to help people make an informed decision when talking about these different brands, autozone duralast does not make most the parts they simply sell under another name. So i would just figure out who the manufacturer is and ask them

Exactly what I was doing all day today.. Getting informed and sharing the results of my research and my personal opinion.

So if the same brand of parts being inquired about price and warranty wise can be had at autozone with a lifetime warranty i believe people would want to know.
it seems you feel like i was trying to "school" you or something, not the case. Just trying to post useful information for others to read

Exactly why I thanked you for pointing that out many posts ago. I never felt "schooled" if that is supposed to be something negative. I felt you brought a valid find on the parts and that is why i spent so much time researching them and calling their Corp. HQ. I don't know if you realize that I am sourcing these parts for my SC too.

we all share the same love for our cars, no need to take sharing info as a personal attack

I never took your input as a personal attack. I thanked you.

it almost seems as though you did not really comprehend what I was trying to communicate or what my intentions were. That is my fault because if the one communicating doesn't get his point across and understood, it is the fault of the one communicating, in my humble opinion.
As you can see he made up his mind and now maybe we can move on to him posting about the results he achieved with this upgrade on the Battle Versions! Nice choice!
Old 08-08-12, 08:34 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
As you can see he made up his mind and now maybe we can move on to him posting about the results he achieved with this upgrade on the Battle Versions! Nice choice!
O i see, yeah i felt like maybe you though i was trying to compete or something. Im just here to share! but yeah battle version will be my choice when the time comes, as far as my suspension thats all that will see my car besides oem..

I thought you were mentioning the R&d on the 1uzfe as a relevancy to the sc400 specifically since we were talking about suspension specific to the chassis not the engine, easy mistake with wording i guess? . Im glad we both show the same love for these cars, ive been in love with sc300s for 15 years since a 97 5 speed pulled into my driveway

Last edited by sj408; 08-08-12 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 05:42 AM
bmatic01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner tie rod ends from the dealer

I actually have to inner tie rod ends. One for the passenger and one for the driver side. I bout them straight from the dealer. I'm in the NYC area if any one is interested in buying them. I thought I would need them but I only needed the outter tie rod ends.
Old 06-04-14, 07:52 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Any updates from the people looking into AutoZone's Duralast tie rod ends (part #ES4062 and ES4063 for outers)? When I had my rack & pinion replaced recently, the mechanic said I should probably do the outer TREs before too long. I have a set of KYB shocks on the way, so now's a good time to tackle the TREs. Opinions seem very mixed on Duralast quality for steering/suspension components, and who actually makes the parts...

Most recommendations are for Moog, but as far as I can tell, they only make inner TREs for the SC?

The other one of interest is Deeza Chassis, the Turkish brand. Part #LE-T608 and/or #LE-T610; not sure if those are left/right or two different options. About the same price as Duralast (on Amazon) but possibly of quality closer to Moog, although that's a fairly controversial topic.

At least with AutoZone, their store is within walking distance of home in case I have to make use of the lifetime warranty...

Are there better options, such as the Beck/Arnley (possibly identical to Duralast) suggestion above? Who makes the OEM part? I'm guessing it's not Denso for this stuff.
Old 06-04-14, 08:23 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Any updates from the people looking into AutoZone's Duralast tie rod ends (part #ES4062 and ES4063 for outers)? When I had my rack & pinion replaced recently, the mechanic said I should probably do the outer TREs before too long. I have a set of KYB shocks on the way, so now's a good time to tackle the TREs. Opinions seem very mixed on Duralast quality for steering/suspension components, and who actually makes the parts...

Most recommendations are for Moog, but as far as I can tell, they only make inner TREs for the SC?

The other one of interest is Deeza Chassis, the Turkish brand. Part #LE-T608 and/or #LE-T610; not sure if those are left/right or two different options. About the same price as Duralast (on Amazon) but possibly of quality closer to Moog, although that's a fairly controversial topic.

At least with AutoZone, their store is within walking distance of home in case I have to make use of the lifetime warranty...

Are there better options, such as the Beck/Arnley (possibly identical to Duralast) suggestion above? Who makes the OEM part? I'm guessing it's not Denso for this stuff.
after having using both duralast products and moog products on my cars I have came to the conclusion that they both are adequate parts. I have moog tie rods on my prelude now, and had to replace them within a year. (that might just be to the detrimental road conditions of ohio)
I have used durlast wheel bearings on said car. They seem to be doing fine for 2 years.
Cant really go wrong with either... since they do have lifetime warranties. so when they do break you get new ones for free. however, most stores don't stock parts for import cars.
Old 06-04-14, 10:04 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mecheng10
after having using both duralast products and moog products on my cars I have came to the conclusion that they both are adequate parts. I have moog tie rods on my prelude now, and had to replace them within a year. (that might just be to the detrimental road conditions of ohio)
I have used durlast wheel bearings on said car. They seem to be doing fine for 2 years.
Cant really go wrong with either... since they do have lifetime warranties. so when they do break you get new ones for free. however, most stores don't stock parts for import cars.
That's reassuring, thanks!

From what I've been reading, Duralast is comprised of a lot of different manufacturers, with some variability in quality. It might be that we're lucky with some of "our" Duralast parts being sourced from good ones? A lot of the negative stuff I read was on lifted Jeeps and stuff like that.
Old 06-04-14, 10:38 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Actually, there are Moog outer TREs available for the SC, according to various eBay listings. Parts #ES3560 and ES3561, ranging from $30-40. I'm not sure why I couldn't find them in Google searches, on Summit Racing and other parts websites, etc.

They look absolutely identical to AutoZone's pictured Duralast parts, so that likely answers who manufactures them. If so, I guess it's worth a couple bucks more to buy them from AutoZone and have the lifetime warranty, even if they don't have the prestige of "Moog" on the box.
Old 06-05-14, 05:29 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
That's reassuring, thanks!

From what I've been reading, Duralast is comprised of a lot of different manufacturers, with some variability in quality. It might be that we're lucky with some of "our" Duralast parts being sourced from good ones? A lot of the negative stuff I read was on lifted Jeeps and stuff like that.
just an fyi, most lifted cars have tons of problems with steering components since you ruin the steering geometry and cause excessive angles that create the premature wear.

and all in all, these cars are 15+ years old. There is probably 1 company that still has a service contract to make tie rods. All that moog/duralast does is buy them from the company and repackage them in their container that says moog/duralast. They are inevitably the same part.
Old 06-05-14, 05:58 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
just an fyi, most lifted cars have tons of problems with steering components since you ruin the steering geometry and cause excessive angles that create the premature wear.

and all in all, these cars are 15+ years old. There is probably 1 company that still has a service contract to make tie rods. All that moog/duralast does is buy them from the company and repackage them in their container that says moog/duralast. They are inevitably the same part.
I wouldn't go that far yet...I have purchased a few different tie rods in the past few months and noticed 3 different types. The main rod is the same for the most part, but the ball joint setup is different on all three. One is a sealed ball with not cotter pin hole, the second is has a grease fitting ball with cotter pin holes and the third looks exactly like the stock sealed ball but not cotter pin hole. While that isn't the best description of them all, what I found was that the Raybestos ones have taken the most beating and have kept up. Just some personal experience for those that are in the market.
Old 06-05-14, 08:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The pictures I see of the Raybestos (#401-1911, 401-1862, and 401-1912) actually look just the same as the Moog and Duralast. The only one that looks different is Deeza, which has the same design as Beck Arnley's.
Old 06-05-14, 01:28 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless it is an actual picture of the product, always assume that it is a picture for reference from a random car. Most items I have bought from autozone, rockauto, etc. dont look like the product you receive. Specialty dealers that focus on toyota parts exclusively or specialty speed shops like diftmotion are the ones that give you the exact product picture. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-05-14, 01:58 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^^^ Good point. With all the drop-shippers nowadays, no one really keeps an active inventory for actual product photos.
Old 06-14-14, 11:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

My Duralast (AutoZone) tie rod ends arrived today. Other than a nylon lock washer nut on them (vs the castle nut and cotter pin), they look absolutely identical to the old ones that came off. Although, I don't know if those were the originals still on the car at 189,000 miles.