Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

tein hr..help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 05:41 PM
airhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tein hr..help

hello everyone,i recently purchase a used set of coilovers for my sc3 .but it is a little rusty and i cant twist it up or down for a lower drop. and i have the tool to do it, should i heated up a little?

next

Old 04-05-12, 12:11 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its just the rest preventing you from adjustment i would get some rust penetrator, like the stuff they use to get stuck rusty bolts lose.
After lettin it soak through try and adjust it up and down once or twice to break it loose.
Old 04-05-12, 11:10 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I would give those dampers a thorough scrub down, get off all that gunk and grime first. Then I would use some penetrating oil like said above, let it soak into to the threads on the body and the perches, maybe spray them a couple of times to really let it soak in. Use the tool to work the perches back and forth, really you are just trying to get it to break free a bit, some heat may be required as well. If you can get the perches to move even a bit, you should be good, just keep on using the penetrating oil and working the perch back and forth, but you need to make sure the threads on the body and perches are free of gunk or it wont do you any good anyway.

Just a note, I had a old set of Tanabes that were in worse condition than these, using the method above I was able to get 2 out of the 4 perches free, the other 2 had to be broken off, and I just bought the new perches from Tanabe.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Rick