Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Drilled and slotted brake rotors pads front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 09:27 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled and slotted brake rotors pads front and rear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-2-ELIN...9dada8&vxp=mtr
did any1 ever try this?
its look really cool to me
Old 03-08-12, 06:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by danhtran
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-2-ELIN...9dada8&vxp=mtr
did any1 ever try this?
its look really cool to me
There's no useful reason to drill holes in brake rotors- all it does (besides make them look cool) is weaken the rotor and remove metal from an object designed as a heat sink (which is bad).

Unless you're driving on a race track there's no useful reason to slot rotors either- all it does on a street-driven car (again besides look cool) is eat your brake pads about 25% faster than blank rotors.

Now, if you don't mind weaker rotors that are more prone to crack and will eat your pads noticeably faster, in exchange for no benefit other than looking cool, by all means go ahead.
Old 03-08-12, 06:53 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ everything above is correct.
but since I want my rotors to crack and pads to wear faster, I took the plunge. They look great, and through rockauto.com you can get front and rear ceramic pads for $75 shipped.
Old 03-10-12, 12:33 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by danhtran
They do look nice and they're cheap ..... if you were to do your own brakes might be worth a try. I wouldn't do it if you like to drive hard thou ..... i would wonder how they might work under stress.

i like the look of the F-Sport/L-tuned ..... the price is very high thought and i not sold on how robust a two piece rotor holds up to 6 months of constant winter salt spray in the northern states and canada.

I put Brembo and green stuff pads on my IS300 years ago. A friend raced on weekends and recommended them for street as well ..... they were nice and rode well under light street use but i traded the car after a few years so am not sure about them long term.

Notice two things in the pic thou.
1... I kept the OEM calipers ..... i believe they are an excellent design anyway .... why switch for something just as good???
2... The gold anodize finish is what sold me .... i hate the look of a typical painted and soon to be rusted rotor. Look for a rotor with some kind of anodized finish on the remainder of the rotor .... should keep its nice looks for longer. I wouldn't personally worry about if their drilled or slotted disc's as i don't drive hard enough to stress them. I would recommend you have all the calipers dissembled and cleaned every 2 years though to keep them running longer ..... i didn't with my first Lexus and had sticking issues and then one failed after 4 years.

Last edited by caudlek; 03-11-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-10-12, 02:34 PM
toan414
Driver School Candidate

for a critical item such as rotors, I would do more research and worry about performance over looks. It looks nice, but I hope the rotor is made of good quality to not fail under high heat and stress.