Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS 300 400 430 Affordable BBK Idea, Option being considered by Mike at FIGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 03:47 AM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS 300 400 430 Affordable BBK Idea, Option being considered by Mike at FIGS

Hello GS community. I have been upgrading my 98 GS400 for the past 3 years and after doing many suspension and chassis tweaks, I have been looking to upgrade the braking performance of the factory setup. I have researched the current LS400 and Supra TT caliper options but I found that they really didn’t suit my needs for a Truly Affordable BBK that can also fit under the Factory/OEM wheels if necessary.

What would you say to a BBK that is Affordable and really Performs just as well as the more expensive 4pot designs without the installation hassle and higher cost? Mike Figaro himself stated that this IS300 kit, “stops better than the TT kit and has been track tested at very high speeds and temp cycling with aggressive pads”.

Some of you may be familiar with the IS300 BBK that was developed by FIGS but for those that aren’t, here is the link to the current setup. http://www.figsprops.com/brake.htm
Also I have included some pics to give you a better idea what we are proposing for the GS.
Please share your comments and level of interest and I am sure Mike will chime in if enough interest is shared/generated
This is an example on an IS300 with the Factory 17's without any spacer required!

Here is another IS300 BBK installation with Enkei PF01 17x8

This is the BBK shown with Supra 12.7" rotors, that with enough interest, can be adapted to the GS

And lastly an example of a factory/oem sliding caliper mount, from another vehicle, compared with an extended version that is the key to making this BBK work.

Last edited by ChampGS3; 02-01-12 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 05:03 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so this will offset the brake caliper allowing to grab further away from the center right? makes sense and seems logical considering you can carry over most of the parts.
Old 02-01-12, 07:06 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah I mean that will work and keep your offsets the same if that is you big concern. Just a rotor and bigger bracket, everything else stays stock.

Not gaining any pistons/clamping force, but the larger diameter can help stopping.

Probably very cost effective, How much is the setup?
Old 02-01-12, 07:08 AM
sinstrex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would be up for it totally. I always feel that the GS OEM brakes way tooo under powered and if taken to a limit the rotors easily get wrapped =\
Old 02-01-12, 10:56 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sinstrex
i would be up for it totally. I always feel that the GS OEM brakes way tooo under powered and if taken to a limit the rotors easily get wrapped =\
People seem to talk alot of trash on the stock brakes, they are actually pretty damn good comparatively when in top form.. Can it stand being upgraded, of course any car could use a better more predictable braking upgrade.

Warped feeling rotors aren't always a warped rotor. Most break jobs never finish off with correct bed-in procedure either, which if not done really just ruined the potential future feel of the what the new brake job should have accomplished. And alot of time warped feeling braking can be corrected by the performing the bed-in procedure again.

Now a 98 GS with original brake fluid, rotted swollen flex lines, torn piston boots, rotors that have been turned 4 times, and autozones cheapest pads then yeah there is alot to be desired.
Old 02-01-12, 11:47 AM
sinstrex
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
People seem to talk alot of trash on the stock brakes, they are actually pretty damn good comparatively when in top form.. Can it stand being upgraded, of course any car could use a better more predictable braking upgrade.

Warped feeling rotors aren't always a warped rotor. Most break jobs never finish off with correct bed-in procedure either, which if not done really just ruined the potential future feel of the what the new brake job should have accomplished. And alot of time warped feeling braking can be corrected by the performing the bed-in procedure again.

Now a 98 GS with original brake fluid, rotted swollen flex lines, torn piston boots, rotors that have been turned 4 times, and autozones cheapest pads then yeah there is alot to be desired.
yeah well could be that for me. I own a 2002 lexus GS. Brake Fluid has been changed at the right time too and the flex lines look in perfect condition as well. Always used OEM lexus brake parts. Probably you could be more helpful by explaining the correct bed-in procedure
Old 02-01-12, 12:27 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

http://bit.ly/AhEW6I

Old 02-01-12, 12:33 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
so this will offset the brake caliper allowing to grab further away from the center right? makes sense and seems logical considering you can carry over most of the parts.
The leverage at the new further out caliper position will offer better braking feel along with filling out the inside wheel space. By going up the ~1" in rotor diameter we are making our older cars more modern in the braking dept. as nearly all foreign automotive manufacturers have consistently increased the size of braking components.

This increase in braking sizes is to cope with the higher vehicle weights and higher average travel speeds. I want this BBK to really make my older GS a better and safer vehicle, one that I can run hard and not worry about fade, warpage etc.. Also we will retain our factory calipers, pads and most likely no heat shield modifications will be necessary, so this will be very simple yet Effective mod!

Here is a good side by side pic of the bracket itself.
Old 02-01-12, 02:25 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

this would most likely not work for the OEM 16" wheels...
Old 02-01-12, 02:39 PM
sinstrex
Driver

thankyou that worked
Old 02-01-12, 04:57 PM
kit cat

Yeah I mean that will work and keep your offsets the same if that is you big concern. Just a rotor and bigger bracket, everything else stays stock.

Not gaining any pistons/clamping force, but the larger diameter can help stopping.

Probably very cost effective, How much is the setup?
no no, i agree, just surprised no one has thought of this for the GS considering what lacks in the GS is initial pedal feel; which I think this would help.

Not that I recommend you doing this but....
Cancel ABS
Start driving
slam on brakes

did your wheels lock up? yeah, its got enough clamping force. As ChampGS3 said, not underpowered. I just think its delivery and feel (or lack there of) which makes us think the stock brakes are underpowered.
Old 02-01-12, 04:58 PM
kit cat

yeah well could be that for me. I own a 2002 lexus GS. Brake Fluid has been changed at the right time too and the flex lines look in perfect condition as well. Always used OEM lexus brake parts. Probably you could be more helpful by explaining the correct bed-in procedure
how did you bleed the brakes?
Old 02-02-12, 03:42 AM
sinstrex
Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
how did you bleed the brakes?

Just searched around the forums. These links helped a lot!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...g-to-stop.html
Old 02-02-12, 05:45 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

There's also some more on the topic here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nder-99-a.html
Old 02-02-12, 06:22 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Yeah I mean that will work and keep your offsets the same if that is you big concern. Just a rotor and bigger bracket, everything else stays stock. ?
GS3, you hit the nail on the head that we get to retain our factory caliper, which is a rather well designed dual sliding piston, similar to the PBR calipers the older Cobras used with a similar sized 13" rotor for many years. I really like the simplicity and effectiveness and still improving the appearance with the larger TT rotor inside the wheels. Don't you guys like the BMW 335i's brakes, how they are all about business, no flash just big rotors and great performance from a "single piston sliding caliper"? They work great because of the leverage the larger rotor provides.

?[/QUOTE]
"Not gaining any pistons/clamping force, but the larger diameter can help stopping". ?[/QUOTE]

GS3, The larger diameter will provide a noticeable difference in braking feel and confidence in repeated hard stops. I get fade fairly easily when my stock, yet well maintained, brakes get hot and I know the 12.7" TT rotor with this setup would remedy this.

"?[/QUOTE]
Probably very cost effective, How much is the setup?[/QUOTE]
I assume it would be similar to the IS setup that I posted in link at the begining.

We can get this kit adapted only if more people show the interest in getting it started.
So who here is serious about braking?

Quick Reply: GS 300 400 430 Affordable BBK Idea, Option being considered by Mike at FIGS