Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Gs400 sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 12:17 PM
sladkix
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gs400 sway bars

im looking for a set of aftermarket sway bars. I found these on ebay http://m.ebay.com/itm/Swaybar-Front-...%257Ciid%253A2 does anyone have any experience with them? The only other brand I found was Megan but its 3x more money.
Old 04-07-17, 05:13 PM
firelizard

Received 428 Likes on 341 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...bars-only.html
Old 04-07-17, 05:53 PM
sladkix
Rookie

I've seen this tread but Im asking about a diferent brand.
Old 04-07-17, 08:11 PM
firelizard

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...y-bar-kit.html

same product as emusa
Old 04-08-17, 04:25 AM
sladkix
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
those are 30/20mm and these are 30/16mm.
Old 04-08-17, 10:06 AM
firelizard

No, the EMUSA bar is 16mm, read on. They were originally listed as 20mm bars but the people who purchased them got 16mm.
Hopefully that is some indication of the level of professionalism you get when ordering eBay specials.
Old 04-08-17, 04:51 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the EMUSA and my rear is a 20. Got them years ago when they were $130ish.

A bar is a bar. You can paint it, stick any name on it, etc. Its a bar. Don't pay for name. Pay for the size you need or want. Only issues is finding a rear bushing that works, it doesn't come with them (mine didn't) and making a stock work is a nightmare (trying to enlarge it)

My front bar came red and rear came black. Seems they are all red now. Maybe the black rear bars were the fatter ones?
Old 04-09-17, 07:10 AM
sladkix
Rookie

I guess Im going to have to go with Megans if there are only two choices on the market right now.
Old 04-09-17, 11:53 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The Megan 19mm hollow rears are really about as stiff as the old versions of the eBay bars when the rears were hollow 20mm. If the new eBay rear bars are solid 16mm, then they are the same stifness as the Megans now. The only main difference is the Megans include poly sway bushings, have 2mm larger hollow front with the stop collars on The front. Figs have always been the best though and are still in production with front collars/30mm solid front and 20mm solid adjustable rear. The eBay bars are $150, Megans are $300 and Figs are $500, all shipped prices.

No matter what bars you get, if you are lowered it is recommended to get new rear sway links as the geometry will be off, pushing the lever of the bar up and never getting the full stiffness capibilities of any new bar. I used modified ISF/ISX50 ones.

If you aren't lowered in the rear you wont need the end links. I never changed my fronts, just rears and Im lowered

Last edited by GS400V8; 04-09-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 12:29 PM
sladkix
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Th Megans 16mm solid rears are really about as stiff as the old versions of the eBay bars when the rears were hollow 20mm. If the new eBay rear bars are solid 16mm, then they are the same stifness now. The only main difference is the Megans include poly sway bushings, have 2mm larger hollow front with the stop collars on The front. Figs have always been the best though and are still in production with front collars/30mm solid front and 20mm solid adjustable rear. The eBay bars are $150, Megans are $300 and Figs are $500, all shipped prices.

No matter what bars you get, if you are lowered it is recommended to get new rear sway links as the geometry will be off, pushing the lever of the bar up and never getting the full stiffness capibilities of any new bar. I used modified ISF/ISX50 ones.
Im not lowered, just have 16mm Figs rca up in the front. So do I need to get sway bar links or will I be ok with stock ones?
Old 04-09-17, 12:37 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sladkix - I have been attempting to make a sway bar decision as well. My recent thread might help a bit:

I see your car is not lowered. I am wanting to just add sways to my stock GS4 to keep the stock ride height, and keep costs down. Endlinks are a big question in my mind as well. The stock ones are skinny. The only aftermarket ones I've found are the Figs units - high quality, but not cheap. However, Figs told me to use stock links with their upgraded SuperPro bars if the car is not lowered. Your thoughts? Thank you!

PS - GS400V8's last post should say "EMUSA" not "Megan" at the beginning. The Megan rear is 19MM hollow, which may be similar to the EMUSA 16MM, if it is solid....

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 04-09-17 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 12:47 PM
sladkix
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
Sladkix - I have been attempting to make a sway bar decision as well. My recent thread might help a bit:

I see your car is not lowered. I am wanting to just add sways to my stock GS4 to keep the stock ride height, and keep costs down. Endlinks are a big question in my mind as well. The stock ones are skinny. The only aftermarket ones I've found are the Figs units - high quality, but not cheap. However, Figs told me to use stock links with their upgraded SuperPro bars if the car is not lowered. Your thoughts? Thank you!

I've seen yout tread yesterday. T think the only option for us my frind is to go with Megans because of the price/availability/ completeness.

PS - GS400V8's last post should say "EMUSA" not "Megan" at the beginning. The Megan rear is 19MM hollow, which may be similar to the EMUSA 16MM, if it is solid....
i think the only option for us now a days is to go with Megans. Because of the price/availability/complete kit. And like I stated above would we need to get new end links?
Old 04-09-17, 01:04 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

The stock links will certainly fit properly with a non-lowered car. However, I think I will probably get some new OEM-style links for the front. My car has 103K, and I know the larger bars will put additional stress on the links. If a rear link fails, it is a hassle, but a front link failure could be dangerous. I've been looking for high quality links - I wouldn't use cheapies here. I've found these on Amazon, and they seem to be of high quality (and good reviews):

Proforged 113-10203 Front Left Sway Bar End Link
Proforged 113-10206 Front Right Sway Bar End Link

About $30 each.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 04-09-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 01:10 PM
sladkix
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
The stock links will certainly fit properly with a non-lowered car. However, I think I will probably get some new OEM-style links for the front. My car has 103K, and I know the larger bars will put additional stress on the links. If a rear link fails, it is a hassle, but a front link failure could be dangerous. I've been looking for high quality links - I wouldn't use cheapies here. I've found these on Amazon, and they seem to be of high quality (US made and good reviews):

Proforged 113-10203 Front Left Sway Bar End Link
Proforged 113-10206 Front Right Sway Bar End Link

I got no clue on this one cuz I thought I'll be alright with mine as long as they dont look too worn out
About $30 each.

Your thoughts?
im not sure on this one.

Im also thinking just getting a rear sway bar first and install it and see how the car driver with it. Because Im thinking that I might be ok with just adding the rear one
Old 04-09-17, 02:00 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

As you know, the bars will directly influence the understeer/oversteer behavior of your car. Typically, a factory-designed street car will be designed to understeer. This means that in a very tight turn, the front tires will tend to slide first (plough) instead of the rear end swinging out (oversteer). This is considered safer in most situations with average drivers. A sporting-oriented (or drifting) car is set more neutrally, so the front and rear adhesion limits are matched for maximum speed through a turn. In this case, you can do that cool drift through a turn as well. If you just upgrade the rear bar, you will change the balance and make the car more prone to oversteer (rear end coming around on you). One must be careful with these changes. Normally, sway bars are matched to ensure you can keep the balance in an acceptable range. The Megan rear bar does have 2 settings. If you install the link in the outermost hole, you will be using the softer setting. As a side note, Megan initially just sold a rear bar for our GS. Only later did they add the front bar. I think that is because Megan serves drifting enthusiasts who wanted to reduce the understeer tendancies. Once the front bar became available, I was more interested in their offering. The big issue for me is that Megan won't provide any specs on their bars. I want to know the relative stiffness over stock, and they aren't willing to share that info. Keep us informed on your progress! If I proceed with the bars, I will definitely report back as well.

Quick Reply: Gs400 sway bars