Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD lower suspension brace. (installed now)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Default TRD lower suspension brace.

I read before it does not help much as the GS has a stock one (though much more flimsy). I figure it would work well with the TRD STB I have already. Well I'm putting it on regardless and will provide input.

Funny, but I don't recall many people having this mod? Always TRD sways. What gives?
Old 09-19-02, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hehe man, we both bought them together today huh?

well i will post my feedback too, but that's with the STB

well the sways ALWAYS help lots more on handling. it just holds the wheels together better
Old 09-19-02, 10:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: TRD lower suspension brace.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny, but I don't recall many people having this mod? Always TRD sways. What gives?
Probably because as you say, it's not like it's ADDING a brace, just replacing one, and its function isn't as dramatic as the sways, but I have the mod and I'm glad I do. Every bit helps in tightening up the suspension. Still, your BIG improvements are coming soon I hope (the tanabe springs), what shocks are you going to use, and are you going to get TRD sways?
Old 09-19-02, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: TRD lower suspension brace.

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Probably because as you say, it's not like it's ADDING a brace, just replacing one, and its function isn't as dramatic as the sways, but I have the mod and I'm glad I do. Every bit helps in tightening up the suspension. Still, your BIG improvements are coming soon I hope (the tanabe springs), what shocks are you going to use, and are you going to get TRD sways?

so did you feel ANYTHING at all after changing out the LCB? well keep in mind the sways are also a swap out, but it helps a ton. after the STB and the LCB sways will come next on my list. then maybe the tom's rear brace and i'd be done. i wont' put the rear STB, my gf will kill me for the reduced trunk space
Old 09-19-02, 11:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: TRD lower suspension brace.

Originally posted by rominl
so did you feel ANYTHING at all after changing out the LCB?
I'll never know by itself because I had it done at the same time as the sways.

i wont' put the rear STB, my gf will kill me for the reduced trunk space
Dayam - dump the gf dude, what the hell is she filling your trunk with, shopping you paid for? I have a Tom's rear STB and it's never been a problem as far as space. In fact, I like it because it holds things that go behind it.
Old 09-19-02, 11:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: TRD lower suspension brace.

Originally posted by bitkahuna

I'll never know by itself because I had it done at the same time as the sways.

Dayam - dump the gf dude, what the hell is she filling your trunk with, shopping you paid for? I have a Tom's rear STB and it's never been a problem as far as space. In fact, I like it because it holds things that go behind it.
hahhaa, don't be too radical. for one she is supporting 100% on all the mods i have right now (in fact she chose all the mods so far)... it's precious
Old 09-20-02, 12:36 AM
RacingAristo

1SICK,

I just put the TOM'S rear LCB on my GS yesterday. I highly recommend it over TRD front LCB. Why? Because GS does not have any OEM rear LCB and I can definitely feel the difference while cornering. However, it's pricier than TRD front LCB. If you want the ultima handling, be sure to put on TOM'S or even Cusco's rear LCB.

Congrat for the new mod. And you too, Henry.
Old 09-20-02, 12:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

RA,

Just to clarify... You're saying you recommend the Tom's Rear LCB over the TRD Front brace as mod-for-mod comparison, right?

Have you tried both the Tom's and TRD Front Chassis braces? That would be interesting... if anyone has done that - can you tell any difference? I'd suspect they'd be about the same, but not based on anything but looking at pics.

I've got the TRD brace up front and Tom's in the rear. 1Sick, I should have taken you for a ride during the meet - I think I've got most every suspension mod (except coilovers) on now. The only thing I'd change is maybe the closed Tom's rear brace if I had an exhaust that would allow it to fit.
Old 09-20-02, 01:38 AM
RacingAristo

Dave,

You are completely correct. In the respect of "mod for mod", I would definitely pick TOM'S rear LCB over TRD front LCB. Because we already have front LCB in stock, changing it to an aftermarket one does not improve that much, unlike sway bars (it's day and night).

As for comparsion of TRD and TOM, I know someone did it but I'd let him to jump into this discussion. As you may know TOM'S front LCB has 2 extended arms to connect extra points, which will result in more rigidity. But I doubt the difference is noticeable.
Old 09-20-02, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Thanks guys.

RA, I will then also order the Tom's rear brace. Rominl I also an not willing to sacrifice trunk space for the Rear stb

I want to add these BEFORE the Tanabe springs come in, to provide feedback on a STOCK supsension
Still, your BIG improvements are coming soon I hope (the tanabe springs), what shocks are you going to use, and are you going to get TRD sways?
Good question Bit. I am e-mailing Steve back and forth for what we think is best as the drop on the Tanabe will be 2". I have not decided yet. The shocks may not be here until November:eek: but heck, I waited this long.

Sways, Bit, next meet (oct 6th) you got to drive me around some. I do believe everyone when they say the difference is "night and day" but I would like to see for myself.

Dave, Bit, ya'll saw my tires at Deal's Gap. This time, I am going with Yokohoma's from the Tire Rack.

Thanks everyone, I figure for $150 and combining with the TRD STB, I really can't go wrong.

Think I can install myself????????
Old 09-20-02, 06:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1SICKLEX,

I recently got the TRD sways put on. Although the ride is definitely flatter in corners, I cannot take the corners any faster. There are a few freeway on ramps that I test after suspension mods. Maybe I expected more from the sways.

The ride did degrade a bit. You will definitely feel it on uneven roads. On smooth roads, the difference is not enough to even mention. So I might say the difference between stock and TRD sways are night and dawn, but not quite night and day.

Although I am still waiting for my UGO STBs, I guess I was hoping the sways would give me enough handling so I can stop the suspension upgrades. Looks like I may be looking into the Tom's rear braces like RA suggested. Maybe the STBs will be enough but I won't know until I get them, whenever that may be. I am really tempted by the TRD LCBs coming in to Steve. I have put in an iquriy with him but I am not too sure now if it is the best bang for the buck for me now. It is too bad I cannot take advantage of the STBs coming in too. Oh well.

Just wanted to give you a little feedback on the sways.
Old 09-20-02, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for the record i believe the stb mostly tighten up the steering, it doesn't have a BANG impact on handling as sways

btw, Neo, i forgot, you have coilover?
Old 09-20-02, 09:09 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. No coilovers. Just L-Tuned.
Old 09-20-02, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
Nope. No coilovers. Just L-Tuned.
there you go, you can get some extra help
Old 09-20-02, 11:38 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1sicklex- You can definetly install this yourself. All you have to do is take the stock lcb off and bolt on the trd lcb. It shouldn't take more than an hour taking your time. All the nuts come off easy except for 2, the 19mm ones. Just spray some wd-40 and use a breaker bar and its a snap.

My tom's lcb was a little bit more difficult because of the 2 extra connections it has. And those 2 nuts were tougher than the rest because they were in a tighter positon to get too.

But you will need to use the 19mm and 14mm sockets and alot of elbow grease.

Quick Reply: TRD lower suspension brace. (installed now)