Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R Springs on F-sport Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 06:54 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Springs on F-sport Shocks

Does anyone have this setup or pictures of this setup? Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I've searched and I've never found someone with this setup. I was wondering how harsh it is and how low the car got.
Old 06-06-11, 11:37 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk08
Does anyone have this setup or pictures of this setup? Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I've searched and I've never found someone with this setup. I was wondering how harsh it is and how low the car got.
I think someone on the forum did this setup? and I heard they are hash to drive? since you already have the f-sport go for that, the look is perfect to me without go over the camber? my camber on the f-sport package is in the alignment specs H&R spring is lower than the F, it might be issue for the camber wear?
Old 06-06-11, 10:20 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

I have this set up and I am very happy with it. I gotta admit, the ride is pretty harsh on bumpy roads, but you feel a lot more confident taking high speed turns. Drop looks better too.

As far as alignment issues go, i was able to get everything within spec.
Old 06-06-11, 10:25 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

^^^ i think this is the best combo if not going to coilover
Old 01-05-12, 03:15 AM
Koolpep
Driver School Candidate

Alrighty,

I am going for exactly the same setup. H&R springs should arrive mid next week, I already have bought the shocks from Rash (here from the forum) and am very very looking forward to this setup.

Am a bit scared that the ride will be too harsh but if it handles well, well... I guess I have to live with that then ;-)

On the other hand, I am on the stock 17inch wheels still, so let's see if the drop look cool.

All the best and I will report how it feels.

K
Old 01-05-12, 11:40 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I stayed with H&R Springs I would have done this combo. I'm on BC Racing coilovers now.

Koolpep, on 17" wheels, the ride will be comfier than on 18" wheels.
Old 01-07-12, 01:47 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been told by multiple sources you do NOT want to pair H&R springs with F-Sport shocks - ride will be harsh!

Stick with OEM shocks if you are running H&R - IMO, its great with springs alone. Firmer and spouter ride without being harsh.

I love my H&R
Old 01-07-12, 07:05 AM
Koolpep
Driver School Candidate

Well, well....

I will report how it goes, as I have already purchased both, soooo, let's see. I like to hard but I don't want a broken back neither.

In a few days I will be happy to report, will let drive Rash around so he can let you know his opinion as well once it's done.

From what I heard in other forums and with other cars, the H&R/Bilstein combo is highly recommended. But of course tastes are different. I will see if it's something I enjoy or not.

All the best,
K

P.S.: when the ride gets too harsh I will go back to springs alone and get my stock shocks back on it. But let's see how it feels. Am very excited to try it in a few days.

Last edited by Koolpep; 01-07-12 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-07-12, 09:32 AM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I have been told by multiple sources you do NOT want to pair H&R springs with F-Sport shocks - ride will be harsh!

Stick with OEM shocks if you are running H&R - IMO, its great with springs alone. Firmer and spouter ride without being harsh.

I love my H&R
I have ridden in an M3 with H&R springs with Bilstien shocks and the ride is harsher. My point is that the F Sport shocks/struts is a Bilstien spec or built product, and if you do your research you will see a similarity in design of the products. Yes the combination is amazing when it comes to handling but the draw back is ride comfort. But SERIOUSLY guys, some of you are crying as if you didn't expect sacrifice when modding our cars and especially going to a setup that is more aggressive then stock. If you do not want the harshness go another route. This setup is amazing and I just got done ordering my F Sport shocks/struts. If you want a more supple ride go with Eibach springs(because of the spring rates), they do ride better, but if you want the best without going coilovers....sorry to say but H&R and F Sport is the best route IMO!
Old 01-07-12, 10:39 AM
Koolpep
Driver School Candidate

Hey SiskoMax77,

your post put me straight again. I want handling above everything lee and of course I am willing to sacrifice (quite a lot of) comfort for it.

It's always a matter of perspective. My wifes sportscar with active suspension management, this magnetic damper setting that adjusts 5 gazillion times a second, if switched on constant Sport mode is really hard and mostly for track use. The normal mode of that works lowered suspension would for most be conserved hard while I think it's actually very nice and smooth.

So it really depends what you define as "hard" or "too harsh". Especially as the Lexus IS ride is very comfy being "harsh" for a Lexus lover could still be quite comfy for a sports car driver.

In 5 weeks I will drive an Aston Martin GT4 on the Yas Marina Racetrack in Abu Dhabi So my understanding of "harsh" might be off the scale already for someone else

Anyhow, I will see

Originally Posted by SiskoMax77
I have ridden in an M3 with H&R springs with Bilstien shocks and the ride is harsher. My point is that the F Sport shocks/struts is a Bilstien spec or built product, and if you do your research you will see a similarity in design of the products. Yes the combination is amazing when it comes to handling but the draw back is ride comfort. But SERIOUSLY guys, some of you are crying as if you didn't expect sacrifice when modding our cars and especially going to a setup that is more aggressive then stock. If you do not want the harshness go another route. This setup is amazing and I just got done ordering my F Sport shocks/struts. If you want a more supple ride go with Eibach springs(because of the spring rates), they do ride better, but if you want the best without going coilovers....sorry to say but H&R and F Sport is the best route IMO!
Old 01-07-12, 09:12 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Can't go wrong with the H&R spring / F-sport shock combo. It's the best combo out there if you don't want coilovers. I have this setup on my car and it is harsh on bumpy roads, but it feels great when taking high speed turns. I think this setup can compete with KW coilovers in terms of handling.
Old 01-07-12, 09:45 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koolpep
Hey SiskoMax77,

your post put me straight again. I want handling above everything lee and of course I am willing to sacrifice (quite a lot of) comfort for it.

It's always a matter of perspective. My wifes sportscar with active suspension management, this magnetic damper setting that adjusts 5 gazillion times a second, if switched on constant Sport mode is really hard and mostly for track use. The normal mode of that works lowered suspension would for most be conserved hard while I think it's actually very nice and smooth.

So it really depends what you define as "hard" or "too harsh". Especially as the Lexus IS ride is very comfy being "harsh" for a Lexus lover could still be quite comfy for a sports car driver.

In 5 weeks I will drive an Aston Martin GT4 on the Yas Marina Racetrack in Abu Dhabi So my understanding of "harsh" might be off the scale already for someone else

Anyhow, I will see
Glad to hear!

I did some research and calling today for all of us and this is what I got. H&R and Bilstien work in conjunction with each other. When you put that combo together, you get what they call "balanced harmony" the springs and shocks work well together. You will sacrifice some comfort (bumpy roads, speed bumps, dips in roads) but in this aspect you will have "total and full control of your vehicle" at all times. Now as far as comfort, they do recommend that you pay attention to your bump stops. DO NOT JUST CUT THEM IN HALF nor NOT CUT THEM AT ALL. There is a company that offers custum bump stops that will help with suspension travel and increase comfort to a certain degree.Also breaking in the springs and shocks is CRITICAL! Try not to ride on harsh surfaces immediately, actually ride a good smooth highway for about 500 miles so the pistons and valves in the shocks wear properly and also the spring seats properly also. It is a combination of geometry that needs to be done right, now the bad news is that the harmony also includes bushings and bearings (mind you they are meant for stock setup) so if you complain about a harsh ride compared to a 335i lowered or G37S, those cars are designed for a more performance minded individual, our cars are not but they are amazing handling cars. In all, if you expect to have same comfort when lowering your car, go to a dealer and drive a great handling car and honestly tell me that it is not harsh on everyday road surface...seriously! This setup IMO is the best so enjoy!

Last edited by SiskoMax77; 01-08-12 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-08-12, 12:45 AM
Koolpep
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks a lot for gathering and collecting this info.

My installation date just got pushed back half a week, shipping of the springs is delayed, hmmmpf.
Old 01-09-12, 10:07 AM
Koolpep
Driver School Candidate

Hey SiskoMax77,

can you let me know which company sells these custom bump stops?
I want to do everything just right ;-)

All the best,
K
Old 01-10-12, 04:35 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

I also Got H&R and wondered about if I have to change my shocks, and if so what kind., looks like there's no definitive answer . .

GiantsFan, How long have you had your H&R and have you had to swap out your shocks more often?

Do coils generally not "require" replacing shocks?

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: H&R Springs on F-sport Shocks