Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-15-14, 02:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Uneven length of coilovers to even the ride...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 10:18 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneven length of coilovers to even the ride...?

Okay, if the title is confusing, here's the low down: I just recently installed BC coilovers. They're really nice and all, but i noticed that one side is lower than the other. Or at least, one corner. Of the front two coils, the driver's side sits 13/16s of an inch lower, even when the coils are the exact same length, i made sure of this prior to installing them. I'm not sure what's up with that, but to remedy this, i just raised the driver's front coil up 13/16" and it evened out the front. The rear is the same problem, except it's the passenger rear that's lower than the other side. I have yet to take measurements of the difference, but it looked to be around 1/2".
Can anyone explain why my suspension is like this? It can't be stock. I just can't seem to figure out how it's happening either. Both pairs of coils were measured prior to installation, and were not altered after they were put it.

Thanks
Carlo
Old 04-13-11, 11:16 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well springs will settle a bit after installation. Are they brand new? How is the ride over potholes and cornering? But if there coilovers 13/16 of inch isnt much give it time to settle and have an alignment done and maybe a tech can tell you if something isnt aligned correctly.
Old 04-13-11, 11:21 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the spring preload to be sure that they are identical
Old 04-14-11, 06:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

First off, springs aren't suppose to settle.

2nd of all, did you preload the suspension before tightening the shock bolt?
Old 04-14-11, 10:51 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

I didnt have this problem installing my ksports......you obviously dint measure right or missed something by accident. just double check them im sure youll find it
Old 04-15-11, 05:48 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

I measured everything again last night, and it's coming up with the same thing. Not as bad this time, but the heights are still different. I also measured the preload on the springs, and they're the same for each pair. Idk what's up, but it's weird.
Old 04-26-11, 11:36 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I dont know if this is a myth or not, but the driver should be lil higher than pass, but when you sit in it should be even out.

I think even stock ride does that.
Old 04-26-11, 11:42 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the driver side will sit lower theres more stuff on that side of the car compared to the passenger side.... steering column, jack, tire iron...& other little do-da's

if your really that concerned get a corner balance. i know my car is bit off balance and it bothers me but until i roll my fenders i will save the price of the corner balance for later.
Old 05-02-11, 07:58 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's what i figured. There's a guy around here that corner balances cars and what not, i'm not sure if it's worth it. For now, as long as all the preloads are equal, i'll just adjust the ride height accordingly.
Old 05-02-11, 09:10 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corner balancing is not a great option.
Just keep tweaking the ride height in each corner until you get the ride height equal at the static ride height you're looking for. Zero out the preload as much as you can and do height only if possible.

Corner balancing is pretty much reserved for track cars only. Even pro autox'ers don't often believe corner balancing is necessary and it's overkill for street use. Having equal crossweights does not guarantee an equal ride height. I wouldn't bother spending money on a corner balance just for that purpose alone.
Old 05-02-11, 10:24 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

[QUOTE=INTIMAZY;6356369]Corner balancing is not a great option.
QUOTE]

I have to disagree. You should always have your car corner ballanced and aligned after you do any suspension changes.

Imagine your car is like a table, it has 4 wheels like 4 legs of a table. I know you have all sat down at a table with a short leg and it wobbles back and forth. Same thing with your car, if you have a short leg, it makes your car uneven to the point that it will pull to one direction on throttle and pull the other way on the brakes. (does that sound familiar to you guys)

Expecially with cars like the sc300 with double wishbone and multi links. The coil overs are mounted to your lower arms, which will change distance to thier mounting points depending on alignment settings. You can not tell just by measureing the coil overs themselves that the ballance will be right. The only way to check if your coil overs are adjusted right is to put the car on a set of scales and corner ballance it.
Old 05-02-11, 11:41 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=BattleVer;6356562]
Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Corner balancing is not a great option.
QUOTE]

I have to disagree. You should always have your car corner ballanced and aligned after you do any suspension changes.

Imagine your car is like a table, it has 4 wheels like 4 legs of a table. I know you have all sat down at a table with a short leg and it wobbles back and forth. Same thing with your car, if you have a short leg, it makes your car uneven to the point that it will pull to one direction on throttle and pull the other way on the brakes. (does that sound familiar to you guys)

Expecially with cars like the sc300 with double wishbone and multi links. The coil overs are mounted to your lower arms, which will change distance to thier mounting points depending on alignment settings. You can not tell just by measureing the coil overs themselves that the ballance will be right. The only way to check if your coil overs are adjusted right is to put the car on a set of scales and corner ballance it.
I think maybe he was only saying that a corner balance won't fix uneven ride height (unless the car is perfectly balanced at an even ride height), not that a corner balance wasn't a good option for the car's performance. And in that context he was correct. Although, the street vs track car usage of it is certainly an opinion.
Old 05-02-11, 04:33 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

I entirely agree about an alignment. Its detrimental to handling and even safety to NOT have a good alignment (the hellaflush crowd may disagree )

However, a corner balance is a bit beyond what your average tire/mechanic/customization shop alignment entails. (Ask if your local shop even has scales.. can't corner balance without them.) Corner balancing is not a simple "yes" or "no" answer. I don't feel much benefit on even a car that is exclusively used for autox and occasional track days. On a street car, I can't image there being any further benefit. The biggest benefit would be for cars with very high spring rates, much higher than a street-valved coilover normally sees. There are even some track gurus that advocate running a slight crossweight 'imbalance' if you will in ... for the benefit of having improved LtoR static weights. I feel it's a much bigger step up in both complexity and cost that isn't needed for a street setup where your biggest 'issue' is uneven ride height.

Your normal alignment should cost no more than $100. Adding corner balancing can triple that number. If you already have adjustable endlinks and independant height adjustment on your coilovers, then feel free to go for it... just don't be shocked if you see that your car still sits high on one side. It's normal on crossbalanced cars
Old 05-02-11, 04:57 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by BattleVer
I like the metaphor and agree to a certain degree... Corner balancing primarily affects behavior at the limits of handling.... understeer vs oversteer. Unless you regularly visit those limits, you won't benefit from a proper corner balancing.
Your typical alignment (camber, toe and caster) will make sure your wheels are pointed and tilted in the direction most of us go... straight ahead. How much weight a single tire sees isn't that relevant if its pointing in the right direction to begin with.

Take that table and put it on rollerblades. If all the rollerblades point in the same direction the tilting-table-short-leg will not be an issue unless you really load up the table If those rollerblades are tilted in or out (camber), pinched into the centerline (toe) or leaning backwards (caster) uneven from their respective axis, then you will have serious issues.

Ehhh maybe I tried to oversimplify it too much
Old 05-09-11, 05:05 PM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Think thats the biggest problem. Most shops do over charge to do a corner ballance. Its really not that hard with the coil overs now adays so its something that I've always done.

Quick Reply: Uneven length of coilovers to even the ride...?