Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension clunk from passenger rear - BC Coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 07:18 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like issues with other cars too

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspe...-resolved.html
Old 04-07-11, 07:30 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Where exactly are u located rizzy?
Gainesville. Very close.

Originally Posted by flektone
definitely not what I want to hear. Mine are getting installed tuesday
I wouldn't be too worried. The coils work awesome and if there is something wrong BC will take care of you.

^^^ could be the preload I doubt the shop touched that. What are the recommended pre load settings
CM recommended 3mm of preload. Its not too hard to do. You can come to my house in a couple weeks (I'll be on vacation for the next two weekends) and ill preload for you.
Old 04-07-11, 07:37 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rizzy
Gainesville. Very close.

I wouldn't be too worried. The coils work awesome and if there is something wrong BC will take care of you.

CM recommended 3mm of preload. Its not too hard to do. You can come to my house in a couple weeks (I'll be on vacation for the next two weekends) and ill preload for you.

Cool, sounds good. I hope the preload works. I'm really bummed sinced I was very excited to have my coils
Old 04-07-11, 08:52 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Seems like issues with other cars too

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspe...-resolved.html
Like I said BC will take care of you. They sent me a new cartridge (shock body) so I have no doubts that was the issue. I will post my results once I install it.

Rahizzl - Wanna meet at the DIY shop in a couple weekends?
Old 04-07-11, 09:25 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^ sure, an hour drive for me but yea I guess I'm down
Old 04-08-11, 03:34 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

^damn you trooper raheel! =D im gonna make a trip to ravspec tomorrow
Old 04-08-11, 08:04 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^^ lol, need this problem resolved.

Your due for coils now lol
Old 04-10-11, 09:54 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know how the install goes. Thanks.

I installed BC Coilovers yesterday afternoon for my 2006 IS350. I also have a clunk in the rear passenger side. I went through the bushing reset process as well. I've gone through and tightened every bolt three times now to make sure I didn't miss anything. I even loosened and re-tightened the nut at the top of the shock assembly. I increased the pre-load slightly more as well to see if that was the culprit. That didn't work.

Today I went out and removed the assembly and reinstalled it. I also reset the pre-load to 3mm. I also triple checked my work again when I reassembled it using a torque wrench.

I've narrowed it down to the right rear passenger side for sure and the noise is especially apparent when I hit bumps specifically on the right side of my car. the noise occurs on rebound closer to the end of the rebound process.

At this point, I will be contacting BC for support. Meanwhile, all the other corners are perfectly quiet. The ride is very smooth and I'm really digging the suspension minus that damn clunk noise which kills me.

Last edited by binhster; 04-11-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 03:44 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

rizzy here have u been??? I want to get this annoying sound to go away
Old 04-23-11, 04:58 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Coilover are pillow mount so you will get NHV unless you opt to go with rubber ones. For most of the clunking noise.
Old 04-23-11, 05:10 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^ yea but this sounds louder than usual
Old 04-23-11, 06:11 PM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are rubber mounts. Most BC Racing Coilovers are shipped rubber by default unless the customer specifically request it. I've spoke to BC about my clunk and troubleshooted. They are sending me a new shock. Will update when I get it installed.
Old 04-23-11, 11:33 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by binhster
Let us know how the install goes. Thanks.

I installed BC Coilovers yesterday afternoon for my 2006 IS350. I also have a clunk in the rear passenger side. I went through the bushing reset process as well. I've gone through and tightened every bolt three times now to make sure I didn't miss anything. I even loosened and re-tightened the nut at the top of the shock assembly. I increased the pre-load slightly more as well to see if that was the culprit. That didn't work.

Today I went out and removed the assembly and reinstalled it. I also reset the pre-load to 3mm. I also triple checked my work again when I reassembled it using a torque wrench.

I've narrowed it down to the right rear passenger side for sure and the noise is especially apparent when I hit bumps specifically on the right side of my car. the noise occurs on rebound closer to the end of the rebound process.

At this point, I will be contacting BC for support. Meanwhile, all the other corners are perfectly quiet. The ride is very smooth and I'm really digging the suspension minus that damn clunk noise which kills me.
Sounds like the same issue as me. The new cartridge should solve your issue from what I've read.

rizzy here have u been??? I want to get this annoying sound to go away
I've been in Charleston, SC for the last week...I don't entertain the internet while on vacation...sorry. I plan on installing my new shock cartridge next weekend...come over and I'll check yours out as well. I also have to change my oil and replace my passenger lower door speaker so I'll be all up in my car's goodies next weekend....sorry girlfriend

Originally Posted by laobo979
Coilover are pillow mount so you will get NHV unless you opt to go with rubber ones. For most of the clunking noise.
See below...

Originally Posted by binhster
Mine are rubber mounts. Most BC Racing Coilovers are shipped rubber by default unless the customer specifically request it. I've spoke to BC about my clunk and troubleshooted. They are sending me a new shock. Will update when I get it installed.
The new cartridge should solve your issue from what I've read on other forums. And yeah they comes stock with rubber mounts.
Old 04-24-11, 09:13 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

@ rizzy, cool man. I just didnt know exactly when you were going to come back. Next weekend sounds good, ill come over then. I sent u a PM, just pm me ur address
Old 04-24-11, 07:03 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big - Easiest way to get that top nut off is with an impact gun. Loosen it, remove the top plate and spring and spin the gold rings off. Then just replace in that order on the new cartridge and hit the top nut with the impact gun for a second til tight, then you're done

Quick Reply: Suspension clunk from passenger rear - BC Coils