Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone experienced blown megan coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 12:11 PM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experienced blown megan coilovers???

my coilovers are blown, and got in a argument with the tech over the phone, i just want to see if anyone else has had blown coilovers.
Old 01-06-11, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't have Megans myself, but I do see blown Megan coils in the classified from time to time.

What was the argument about?
Old 01-06-11, 01:22 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

IVE had them for alittle over 2 yrs and zero issues and i drive hard especially the rears with 600 rwhp the amount of force that gets put on them and again no issues to date
Old 01-06-11, 02:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

How long have you had them? If you are slammed to the max, over time they will blow regardless of what brand.
Old 01-06-11, 03:57 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
How long have you had them? If you are slammed to the max, over time they will blow regardless of what brand.
exactly. and how many miles have you run on the coilovers?
Old 01-07-11, 01:46 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ive had blown tein cs....so I know how they feel from my butt meter.
Old 01-07-11, 08:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
he IS slammed to the max john and this is probably (not 100%, but more than likely) the cause for them to be blown. i am curious as to why they not wanting to give you warranty though as im fixing to pickup a set of megans from a local member
Old 01-07-11, 09:19 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

im not slammed to the max, but the arguement was he asked me what i did when i first installed them, i told him that i installed them, preloaded the springs about 6 turns, adjusting the body all the way down which is the proper way ive always done it, he asked me why did i preload them he said they dont need to be preloaded, i said i preloaded them cuz the gs has the problem of our upper control arm smacking the strut tower, he said if ur car strut tower is being contacted ur car is wayyyy to low! i said thats a regular gs problem even if ur not that low it'll smack, my car wasnt always this low, i had it at a moderate height for a good couple months and it did it time to time but that is the reason i gave him for preloading it, then hes telling me its megan RACING not "megan park your car hard" i told him u seriously think i bought these to track my BIG *** HEAVY gs300? i said if i were to track my car i wouldnt even touch megan racing products, these ride good for the price but they aint track suspension quality! then he starts blabbing bout counter weight im like i dont track my car! he said his car is probably lower then mine and he has no problem with his coilovers, and he drives a rsx and a miata with megan racing coilovers, i said compare the weight to our cars. Well the arguement wasnt about me being too low the arguement was WHY i preloaded the springs! and the reason they are blown is because i ride low! but i aint maxed out sakataj, ur here assuming that im maxed out low when u never even seen my car in person these coilovers can bring me wayyy lower if i wanted too but that means dropping body and spring with no rebound but shock. Also the main question im asking you guys are do ur control arms hit the strut tower without being slammed cuz mine did when my car wasnt even this low and heres how low my car was when it did it and i wasnt even that low. hope that isnt slammed to u???
Old 01-07-11, 09:22 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

also, really my question is have u guys experienced strut tower being contacted by the upper control arm without even being that low??? on and also hes telling me my coilovers are prolly not blown, but if everytime i hit a bump like phml said, u feel it in ur butt..and if u expect to max out ur coilovers the proper way and expect to be low with megans that picture is the lowest it'll go without tamper with the spring adjustment.

Last edited by gsjason300; 01-07-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gsjason300
im not slammed to the max, but the arguement was he asked me what i did when i first installed them, i told him that i installed them, preloaded the springs about 6 turns, adjusting the body all the way down which is the proper way ive always done it, he asked me why did i preload them he said they dont need to be preloaded, i said i preloaded them cuz the gs has the problem of our upper control arm smacking the strut tower, he said if ur car strut tower is being contacted ur car is wayyyy to low! i said thats a regular gs problem even if ur not that low it'll smack, my car wasnt always this low, i had it at a moderate height for a good couple months and it did it time to time but that is the reason i gave him for preloading it, then hes telling me its megan RACING not "megan park your car hard" i told him u seriously think i bought these to track my BIG *** HEAVY gs300? i said if i were to track my car i wouldnt even touch megan racing products, these ride good for the price but they aint track suspension quality! then he starts blabbing bout counter weight im like i dont track my car! he said his car is probably lower then mine and he has no problem with his coilovers, and he drives a rsx and a miata with megan racing coilovers, i said compare the weight to our cars. Well the arguement wasnt about me being too low the arguement was WHY i preloaded the springs! and the reason they are blown is because i ride low! but i aint maxed out sakataj, ur here assuming that im maxed out low when u never even seen my car in person these coilovers can bring me wayyy lower if i wanted too but that means dropping body and spring with no rebound but shock. Also the main question im asking you guys are do ur control arms hit the strut tower without being slammed cuz mine did when my car wasnt even this low and heres how low my car was when it did it and i wasnt even that low.

hope that isnt slammed to u???
i dunno why you think im trying to start something with you.....im not trying to start a argument with you man just like you shouldn't have with the guy @ megans. what you do is call them back, try and get a different person and play real dumb/nice with them. just say man i installed them i didnt adjust the preload, they not maxed out etc etc no reason at all to get into a pissing match with someone your trying to get to do something for you thats just silly man. yeah your right his comparison was stupid also....the miata and rsx are not even close to our weight load but again no reason to argue with him just say yes or we he wants to hear and get your warranty and then say **** him.since i have worked in retail for the last 10 years and im now the warranty manager at the HVAC company i work for i have never understood why people go to stores and try to **** off people when they trying to return stuff.... it wont get you anywhere i guarantee it

im not really assuming your maxed out im going by your posts,your pics, your street sweepers slogan...everything about you/your posts ALWAYS says im slammed and im low as can be.no i havent ever seen your car i live on the other side of the country...

just try and work with the guy from megan and then maybe modify your sheet metal under the hood to accommodate the uca travel since you are kind of low OR maybe get a stiffer spring from megans. the ones im going with are i think either 10/12 or 12/14 to accommodate the weight my dynamat,batteries and sub/box add to my car

no that pic isnt slammed but thats fairly low especially for the city i live

GL man....hopefully you can get your warranty done and seriously, use the multiquote button
Old 01-07-11, 09:56 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

i never said u were starting something, i was just trying to clearify that i wasnt maxed out like you said, being low doesnt mean maxed out, ive lowered it more before i was maxed but i couldnt turn lol so i raised it back up, but yea i got no problem with you, i understand u might not like the slammness cuz of ur roads, but thats my style and roads in cali are ****ed!!!! hahahha u gotta know ur freeways to drive low, but yea man everyone has thier own opinions, but seriously i use to be customer service at my old work i told him i aint trying to hassle u or be a ****, but the way he was coming at me was rude as **** like imma dumbass and never been into cars, i got a 11 sec street civic hatch in my garage built motor myself! telling me **** like im new to the game, but he told me to look up megans installation on thier site. and here it is. http://www.meganracing.com/tech/installations.asp it specifically tells u to preload them lol, but hes not even arguing with me for being slammed n to low, hes trying to tell me that my coilovers arent blown and only reason it feels ****ty is cuz im too low, but ive been this low for 3 months and it blew a month ago and hes telling me 90% thier not blown, imma just take them off and take them apart and push the rod down and record it, but at this point i just wanta drive down there and punch his stupid face in. and my scraping streets of la means, pot holes, uneven roads and driveways here in cali, cuz my cross member scrapes on some of these roads.
Old 01-07-11, 11:48 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Like you said your road's are crappy, so in that event, the megans gets stressed soo much, it just gotta die. that's it.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 01-07-11 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 12:25 PM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

thier dead. LOL still doesnt answer my other question, does ur control arms hit still when its moderately low? and.... to answer ur question ive had them for about 6 months, didnt go slamemd till 3 months ago, and didnt blow till last month, and about approx 6500 miles.
Old 01-07-11, 12:38 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thier dead. LOL still doesnt answer my other question, does ur control arms hit still when its moderately low? and.... to answer ur question ive had them for about 6 months, didnt go slamemd till 3 months ago, and didnt blow till last month, and about approx 6500 miles.
mine hit sometimes when i hit big bumps or dips. Im on df210 with bilsteins and rca
Old 01-07-11, 12:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I'm at no gap on 18's gspyders and my UCA doesn't hit. Maybe because of the offset is +40. But I do bottom out. My spring rates are soft 8/6.

Quick Reply: Anyone experienced blown megan coilovers???