Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

MY PBM coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:01 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MY PBM coilovers

ive had my PBM's on for awhile now and I must say i was expecting them to be much much stiffer from the reviews about them. but over all my car did get lower and does handle just a tad better.

any reason there is still about 1.5-2 inches of play? for instance when I push on my radiator support the car bounces a good bit. I know are cars are not light but the 12/18k spring rates i figured would compensate for it....

overall i do want my ride to be more stiff even though i dont track it or anything but drive it from point A and to point B.

i hope i didnt load the springs wrong since they dont come preset. I followed other coilover "directions" only turning the collar 5mm up into the spring...(about 3 threads)

what would reduce the bounce im talking about? Im not really financially ready to buy $1000 worth of sway bars yet.

this is my clearance... stock wheels =)

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-04-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 12:15 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the springs listed as 12/18, is that 12 front and 18 rear or 18 front and 12 rear?

Seems like the spring is properly loaded, I know Tein Flex recommends the adjustable perch to touch coil resulting in 0 preload.

Experimenting with preload may be a cure or at least better the situation. Preloading requires quite a bit of number crunching, so do some researching then get your hands dirty.
Old 01-02-11, 01:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

PBM has the spring rates listed as 18k front, 12k rear.

Preload has little/nothing to do with it because the spring rate does not change. The force required to deflect a spring 1 inch with no preload is the same as deflecting a spring 1 more inch after it has already been loaded 4 inches.

However that's if we're talking about quality springs. The PBM springs are likely not that great so they may actually be progressive when put on a spring dyno. If this is the case, adding preload will make it stiffer. How much? Who knows...

Are you more concerned with the 1.5-2" travel, or the bounce that results after you push down on the radiator support?
Old 01-02-11, 03:57 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those spring rates are anywhere near true, then you would have to be the world's largest man and then some (and then some) to push down on the support and see the car drop 1.5". Just saying. If it really is dropping that much then something is seriously wrong.
Old 01-02-11, 04:00 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and sway bar upgrades aren't going to change what you are referring to.
Old 01-03-11, 12:25 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

^ yeah i know. they help with sway just like in their name haha

im more concerned that i feel like i can't really feel a $1000 difference other than being lower. i do have stock wheels on though but the travel to make my car scrub shouldnt matter with what tires i have...... or does it????? AND BEFORE ANY SAYS! the 1-2 inch of travel im talking IS between the wheel and wheel well not the tires bouncing i know the difference hahaha

is there a suspension component that helps stiffens the travel of the coil over, up and down?

&&&& just so PBM knows im not knocking them its just i wanted something super stiff maybe i expected something to stiff like in my old 240.. i couldnt imagine how unhappy id be with a softer setup like most people get with their sc's.
Old 01-03-11, 01:35 AM
laurante
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pbms are gonna be rough compared to stock. stock wheels is gonna be a factor, especially if they're like 215/65 series tires. go to a low profile, i have 225/35s on a x10 and it rides... like coilovers.
Old 01-03-11, 09:22 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

will be buying wheels soon. i picked coilovers b4 wheels
Old 01-04-11, 03:40 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-05-11, 12:19 AM
laurante
Driver

yeah those tires are huge
Old 01-05-11, 10:58 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

but what does that have to do with the movement on my suspension???

im waiting for these tires to wear before i buy wheels because im not a money waster.
Old 01-06-11, 07:39 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires do actually play into suspension feel as well as the suspension itself. The larger the sidewall equates to more cushioning over bumps and the roughs in the road.

I guarantee that if you switch over to a set of 18's or 19's with a smaller sidewall while leaving your suspension as is; the first thing you'll notice is a stiffer ride.
Old 01-06-11, 08:54 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

alright thanks.

im getting 18's soon enough.
Old 01-10-11, 04:19 AM
scmissle
Rookie

The coils aren't going to do much without the wheels/tires being changed. It being bouncy is because you have stock tires. Low profiles will help. A tire absorbs almost if not more "shock" that the shock and springs do.
Old 01-24-11, 08:38 PM
trdsc400
Driver School Candidate

So what is the best coils for the SC. People have problems with their PBMs and their Megans. Tax returns are comming and I want the best coils I can get. What are they????

Quick Reply: MY PBM coilovers