Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Some suspension ???'s about my new GS300.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 01:08 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some suspension ???'s about my new GS300.

I recently bought a '99 gs300. Ive always liked these cars, ..and Ive owned three SC's in the past, so Im a big Lexus fan.

This will be a budget car build. I bought the car minus the engine/trans/ecu/wire harness. It needs a front bumper, and the rear bumper needs to be painted. The rest of the car is passable. Nice interior, ..just needs a good cleaning. Came with 19"x 8.5/9.5" Axis wheels that look pretty decent, a nice front lip, and HKS exhaust.

Im shopping for a clean, good running engine/trans, and ecu/engine harness. Im in Baton Rouge La., and travel to Houston area often, btw.

Ill be putting coilovers, and fitting the widest 18", or 19" wheels I can find for it (and find a good deal on :-). It'll be driven LOW, with aggressive fitment (vip styled,..hella flush, whatever u want to call it).

For coilovers,... I think Im going with the Megan LP's. A forum vendor has them for $875 shipped. I just hope they go low enough. From what Ive read, ..they should. I know theres better out there,...but I dont want to spend too much. Wheels are gonna be some $$$$.

My question is, ...Is there any issues I might run into, have this car slammed, with wide wheels stuffed under it? Clearence isues with anything? Ive seen a thread on some udjustable tow links. Will thise be required, ..or any other adjustable components?
Old 10-10-10, 01:28 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Heres the car, for those interested. I havent picked it up from the sellers house, yet. Im waiting for it to get some stock suspension under it, ...and of course, he's pulling the engine/trans.

Last edited by na4now; 10-10-10 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 12:34 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

no one?
Old 10-11-10, 01:48 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

depending on how low you going, i have heard of people banging the control arms on the inner metal (had a brain fart on the word i wanna use)....make sure the LBJ's have been changed especially if you lowering. some will suggest RCA's, new bushings,etc,etc

search around on here plenty of info on things to do when lowering, im no suspension guru so i cant really help you man

so how much did you get her for and welcome to our side of the forums
Old 10-15-10, 12:48 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, ...about the only thing ive read so far, is that I'll have to cut a hole on the shock tower, to allow the upper control arm to travel up higher.

I thought there might be a few guys on here that would know all the ins and outs.

Ive decided to do UAS bags on the stock shocks, instead. As low as I want to ride, I dont think coilovers would suit me. Plus, I have most everything for the install, except for the bags themselves.
Old 10-15-10, 01:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by na4now
Ive decided to do UAS bags on the stock shocks, instead. As low as I want to ride, I dont think coilovers would suit me. Plus, I have most everything for the install, except for the bags themselves.
well then if u have everything this may not interest you but its on here if it does

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...-for-sale.html
Old 10-15-10, 03:25 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, ...about the only thing ive read so far, is that I'll have to cut a hole on the shock tower, to allow the upper control arm to travel up higher.

I thought there might be a few guys on here that would know all the ins and outs.

If you wanna do UAS, make the investment and get the kyb GR-2. They go lower and much better than sticking with the oem.
Old 10-18-10, 09:29 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
well then if u have everything this may not interest you but its on here if it does

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...-for-sale.html

Remember, ..this is a budget build. Im only lacking a few valves, some fittings, and line.

If you wanna do UAS, make the investment and get the kyb GR-2. They go lower and much better than sticking with the oem.
Im sure your right. I was thinking of trying the bags on the stock shocks, and see if it does what I need it two. Id prefer to use coilovers, so I can have the adjustable spring perch, and adjustable dampening.

Are the GR-2's are just an upgraded stock replacement?

The UAS bags on the stock shocks, ....will it tuck 18's?
Old 10-19-10, 09:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Remember, ..this is a budget build. Im only lacking a few valves, some fittings, and line.
thats why i said it may not be for you
Old 10-19-10, 10:53 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im sure your right. I was thinking of trying the bags on the stock shocks, and see if it does what I need it two. Id prefer to use coilovers, so I can have the adjustable spring perch, and adjustable dampening.

Are the GR-2's are just an upgraded stock replacement?

The UAS bags on the stock shocks, ....will it tuck 18's?
GR-2s are stock replacements but they are valved at a slightly higher rate. THey also have removable perches which in the front allows your car to sit about an inch lower and drive lower utilizing the UAS upper strut mounts. Dropped it will tuck in the rear the front might sit right at the rim or slightly higher. However your ride height will be higher if you want to keep the spring rates close to stock than ig you were on gr-2.