Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing BC Coilovers Tonight--Anything I should watch for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 11:14 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing BC Coilovers Tonight--Anything I should watch for?

Hey guys,

I'm installing my new BC coilovers tonight on my 2GS 400. I'm working with a friend who knows cars pretty well and has a lift but doesn't know much about the suspension on the GSs so I'm doing as much research as I can to know how to make the job go more smoothly.

Got any pointers???

Thanks!
Old 07-06-10, 11:17 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Watch out for the ABS line... very delicate. You can remove it off the spindle with a 10mm, takes a few seconds only.

Last edited by sam430; 07-06-10 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-06-10, 11:28 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

watch out for the auto leveling sensors on the driver side
Old 07-06-10, 11:33 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

watch out for the fat chicks who want to ride in the back..LOL (joke)
Old 07-06-10, 12:35 PM
tneig002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be careful with the bolts, some of them are very tricky and can be extremely easy to strip. One of my buddies stripped one of his lower bolt cavities and got lucky to have just enough thread to set it and turn a couple rotations. Had he not been fortuitous it would have been a pain in the *** fixing that little situation.

Have a lot of PB blaster on hand and remember it's ok to curse at the car and take a breather for a minute
Old 07-06-10, 01:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The rears will probably be a bit tougher than the front, but nothing you couldn't do. Honestly the GS suspension is pretty damn simple. We're not talking NSX here
Old 07-06-10, 01:03 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
Watch out for the ABS line... very delicate. You can remove it off the spindle with a 10mm, takes a few seconds only.
Is this line that's inside the rubber black tubing on the passenger side front strut assembly? Just take it off and then reinstall it on the BC? It looks like the BC has a similar collar for some kind of line. I'm assuming its the ABS line...
Old 07-06-10, 01:04 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
watch out for the auto leveling sensors on the driver side
Don't know what these are? Is it some kind of wire/line attached to the strut housing?
Old 07-06-10, 01:08 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Just figured out how to multi-quote Sorry for the above thread clutter... Anyway...

Originally Posted by nar8ta
watch out for the fat chicks who want to ride in the back..LOL (joke)
LOL! I just read that to my wife and she said, "I don't get it..." Oh well, glad I didn't marry her for her Lexus knowledge!!

Originally Posted by tneig002
Just be careful with the bolts, some of them are very tricky and can be extremely easy to strip. One of my buddies stripped one of his lower bolt cavities and got lucky to have just enough thread to set it and turn a couple rotations. Had he not been fortuitous it would have been a pain in the *** fixing that little situation.

Have a lot of PB blaster on hand and remember it's ok to curse at the car and take a breather for a minute
I'll pick up some PB on my way. Never hurts to have a good bit of that around. Good idea!

Originally Posted by GSteg
The rears will probably be a bit tougher than the front, but nothing you couldn't do. Honestly the GS suspension is pretty damn simple. We're not talking NSX here
Thanks for the encouragement. I've already removed the trunk liner to expose the mounts and I'm feeling pretty good about the install.
Old 07-06-10, 01:27 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Becareful with the ABS as mentioned! Turn the wheels fully back and forth and check if the ABS line got enough slack then put the wheels back. Forget to do it then regret.
Old 07-06-10, 01:37 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Don't know what these are? Is it some kind of wire/line attached to the strut housing?
you will see a wire there will be a sensor with a bar thats perfectly 90 degrees!!!! i believe the front is on the control arm and the rear one is around the strut bar.

when you drop your car you will probably have to adjust these sensors so it doesnt give you an error.
Old 07-06-10, 01:42 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Becareful with the ABS as mentioned! Turn the wheels fully back and forth and check if the ABS line got enough slack then put the wheels back. Forget to do it then regret.
Yep...hadn't thought about turning the wheel back and forth. Great point! Thanks!

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
you will see a wire there will be a sensor with a bar thats perfectly 90 degrees!!!! i believe the front is on the control arm and the rear one is around the strut bar.

when you drop your car you will probably have to adjust these sensors so it doesnt give you an error.
That helps a lot! Thanks man!
Old 07-06-10, 03:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you lower the car evenly all around, you won't have to adjust the headlight sensors at all. Even if you are off a few mm, the difference is pretty small considering they are constantly adjusting as you drive. That is unless you drive on perfectly flat road

And don't forget to reset the bushings before torquing the suspension bolts. It is very crucial. It's not necessary wait for the springs to 'settle'. Spring settling is BS anyways so you can get an alignment done within 1-2 days if you'd like..
Old 07-06-10, 04:05 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you lower the car evenly all around, you won't have to adjust the headlight sensors at all. Even if you are off a few mm, the difference is pretty small considering they are constantly adjusting as you drive. That is unless you drive on perfectly flat road

And don't forget to reset the bushings before torquing the suspension bolts. It is very crucial. It's not necessary wait for the springs to 'settle'. Spring settling is BS anyways so you can get an alignment done within 1-2 days if you'd like..
Another good point! Thanks man!
Old 07-06-10, 04:10 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

So far, this is my checklist...

1. Be very careful with the ABS line when taking it off the old strut and reinstalling it on the new one. Make sure I turn the steering wheel back and forth before putting the wheels on to ensure I have enough slack in the ABS line. I suppose this is so it doesn't snap or pull out of the connector.

2. Be aware of the levelers and try to reinstall them on the new coilovers as level as possible.

3. Use plenty of penetrating oil so the bolts come out easy and make sure not to strip when reinstalling them.

4. Watch out for fat chicks wanting a ride after the coilovers are on....

5. Reset the bushings

Thanks guys...anything else feel free to post. I'm leaving around 8:20EST and I'll be sure to post up a report tomorrow after the job is done.

Last edited by fenderzig; 07-06-10 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing BC Coilovers Tonight--Anything I should watch for?