Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

stainless steel brake line make difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 07:45 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stainless steel brake line make difference?

do stainless steel brake line make a big difference over stock with the stock set up?

i'm judging weather i should upgrade the oem setup or do something radical. most likely just upgrade
Old 06-24-02, 07:55 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stainless steel brake line make difference?

Originally posted by jbbnet
do stainless steel brake line make a big difference over stock with the stock set up?

i'm judging weather i should upgrade the oem setup or do something radical. most likely just upgrade
Yes they make quite a significant difference. WHy?
For this reason:
Stock brake lines are made out of plastic which allows flex when applying the brake. Flex happens because air gets into the lines and allows less brake fluid to enter.

SS lines, well, they don;t flex at all, they keep all air out of the lines allowing for quicker more responsive stops.
Old 06-24-02, 09:00 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I am running SS lines up front with my upgraded Rod Millen brakes, but I am also running SS lines with the stock brakes in the rear for the same reason FutureGS mentioned.
Old 06-24-02, 11:50 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

I was on the verge of doing a full brake upgrade, but at the last instance I changed to SS brake lines and installed EBC Green Pads front and rear. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. My braking power has increased at least 50 percent! And at a fraction of the cost. Mind you it still doesn't have the force of Manaray's eye-popping AP Racing set-up, but for the driving I do I'm pretty stoked.

The lines alone make the pedal feel much more solid and powerful. The Green Pads really grip! Bottom line: Do it!
Old 06-25-02, 05:44 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Lightbulb

There just may be other factors at work here. Check this for a response I put together a while ago. Note that the process of bleeding the brakes can cause brakes to feel firmer and more responsive.

Not saying it's not a real effect, but....
Old 06-25-02, 06:10 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Mr Johnson,

Are you coming to the Chicago BBQ this Saturday? I know this isnt' the right thread, but I saw you on for a sec so I thought I'ed ask.

Please please please say yes! I'd love to see your ride.

Overclocker
Old 06-25-02, 09:46 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: stainless steel brake line make difference?

Originally posted by futuregs

Yes they make quite a significant difference. WHy?
For this reason:
Stock brake lines are made out of plastic which allows flex when applying the brake. Flex happens because air gets into the lines and allows less brake fluid to enter.

SS lines, well, they don;t flex at all, they keep all air out of the lines allowing for quicker more responsive stops.
With SS lines, the brake pedal feel is precise. Upgrading pads are good, but uprading to SS lines at 30K when you might flush the lines anyway may be a good.

As a little correction for futuregs' statement, stock lines are made of rubber, so they do flex or swell ever so slightly. Flex happens when brake fluid stretches the rubber lines when the brake is applied. No air enters the lines in either case or you're in big trouble. That is why you bleed the lines, to get the air out after you flush the system. Air is less dense than fluid, and will compress within the line if trapped, and the calipers would not actuate effectively when braking.
Old 06-25-02, 10:10 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

How much will upgrading SS Brake lines set you back? Can most local shops install them? Is there a DIY kit I can buy?

Thanks
Old 06-25-02, 10:21 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SS Lines regularly go for $126 on the GS from Steve Ganz @ Carson Toyota but if you get in on the group brake package and get rotors and EBC pads then the cost is only $110.. Hope that helps!
Old 09-03-02, 05:54 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 94' GS300 with Rod Millen front brakes and I have a leak in one of my stainless steel lines, can you help me out, will they fit my car, cost? I only need one for the front left, I really don't want to have to buy an entire kit. Do I have to replace the line with the same as what the kit came with, or can I use any stainless lines?

Last edited by mcnelson; 09-03-02 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 06:24 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mcnelson,

Send SUPRATRD a private message and he might be able to answer your question for you.. Not too certain with regards to the Rod Millen brakes if the lines need to be longer.. The Goodridge lines are a bit longer than the stock ones on 98+ GS models..

Hope that helps!
Old 09-03-02, 07:39 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

You know guys, just so we all are on the same page, stainless steel brake lines mean that there is a stainless steel braid over a plastic or rubber tube. The lines that the brake fluid is in are not stainless steel. The theory is that if the braid is tight enough, it reduces the amount of swelling that occurs from the brake fluid pressurizing when the brakes are applied. The lines cannot be solid stainless steel because they need to move with the suspension. If your soft pedal is because of the stock line swelling from the application of the brake pressure, the stainless steel sheathed line might help somewhat. Is there a downside? You can't see the actual tubing that carries the fluid so you can't see any possible cracks or ageing. There are also instances where if the braid is not done correctly and any of the stainless steel "fibers" get unraveled, they will dig into (and through) the inner tube very easily. As far as a stainless steel sheathed line being more resistant to air intrusion than the stock line, it doesn't happen. The sheath is neither gas nor liquid tight, only the inner tube which is very similar to the stock tube. Some people change to stainless steel sheathed lines and say it is a difference of night and day (however you are also going to have to bleed the lines and top up the fluid which can also make a big difference) and some people change to the stainless steel sheathed lines and don't feel any difference at all. But the mechanics behind what the line is doing is pretty straight forward.
Old 09-04-02, 07:46 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

and the SS lines don't actually make you stop any faster, it just makes the pedals engage sooner than usual and gives it a firmer feels, a result of the SS restricting any flex of the rubber.
Old 09-19-02, 03:19 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mcnelson,
I have the RMM front brake upgrade, but I see you have a 1st gen GS. Is that a Supra brake set up like mine? I know that the Goodbridge lines for a stock 2nd gen GS will fit my Supra upgrade no problem. I just installed my lines from Steve last week and confirmed with him, they would fit.

If we have the same front brakes, I got good news for you. I only installed the rear braided lines because when I bought the car, it only came with braided lines on the front. If you want to split the cost with me, I'll sell you the front un-used lines.

PM me if interested.

After installing the rear braided lines I could tell that the sponginess in the brakes had reduced. It's that noticeable.

Another thing I did was install Russell Brake bleeders. Basically a check valve is built into the nipple to prevent air from sucking back up the line. Made bleeding real easy. I definitely saw air bubbles after replacing the brake lines.
Old 09-20-02, 05:58 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I think.

If you are upgrading your brakes to the same oem size rotors than do not get the SS brake lines. It is overkill. In this situation, your best bang for the buck would be getting new aftermarket pads like hawk or ebc greenstuff. Start with this and keep the stock rotors, you will be pleasantly surprised about how well your brakes will be. If you want the look, than replace them with the slotted and drilled rotors.

If you want even better braking than opt for larger aftermarket rotor and a 4 piston caliber setup otherwise known as the "big brake upgrade". In this case you should definately get the SS brake lines. I would also put in 100% silicone brake fluid which is DOT 5 I believe. This is the only time I would recommend getting the SS brake lines if you are going towards a big brake upgrade. Otherwise, it's like upragding your PC from 2.0 GHZ to 2.1GHZ, you will barely notice the performance increase.

Quick Reply: stainless steel brake line make difference?