Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problems After Lowering With Espiler/Tokico Setup Tire Wear and Loose Rear-end

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 07:50 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems After Lowering With Espiler/Tokico Setup Tire Wear and Loose Rear-end

Whats up everyone. A couple months ago my friend and I lowered his 93 SC300 and ran into a couple of issues. Since then he went through his stock tires and is going through a new set of falkens that he purchased last month.

Heres the problems:
1) Rear end seems to get loose when he hits a small bump or rough road. Feels like his rears are on ice for a second.
2) Tire wear on the outside of the rear tires. Its so bad that rubber seems to be wearing on the rear bumper. (looks like the rear bumper is covered in a fine dust of tire shreads)
3) We've let the springs settle for more than a month and went through alignments at different shops.

I searched and came up with some thoughts... Maybe bushings need replacement? Or maybe the alignment bolt is seized?

The tire wear worries me. He's been driving on them for maybe 3 weeks and the outsides of the rears are almost bald. Positive camber or toe?? BTW he is running stock tt wheels and they shouldn't be rubbing on anything 225f/255r.

Anyone have similar issues? My car was lowered by me on megans and I never had this problem.

Thanks
Old 02-08-10, 08:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely bushings. camber bolts seizing is very common as well. get them from the toyota dealer for a mk4 supra. cheaper then lexus and same part.

buy a prothane rear bushing kit and replace everything. its worth the trouble and time spent doing it.

if you have access to a hydraulic press with make it painless and easy to do.

outside tire wear means positive camber(doesnt happen when you lower a car. the more you lower it the more negative camber you get and more inside tire wear) or stupid amounts of toe.
Old 02-08-10, 10:12 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Thanks man! Appreciate it!
Old 02-08-10, 11:03 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah i gotta agree with it possibly being bushings or possibly camber bolts, as you know I'm on espelirs also and i don't have any problems. I've also replaced my bushings with polyurethane ones, but with the daizen kit. The Prothanes should be the same.

OT.. you get your swap done joseph? lol
Old 02-09-10, 01:07 AM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fliptrix
Yeah i gotta agree with it possibly being bushings or possibly camber bolts, as you know I'm on espelirs also and i don't have any problems. I've also replaced my bushings with polyurethane ones, but with the daizen kit. The Prothanes should be the same.

OT.. you get your swap done joseph? lol
Yeah i'm going to get my buddy to change those things ASAP! I still didn't do it btw. I might sell it 5speed<laptop

Anyone else have ideas??