Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Advice on suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 06:51 AM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice on suspension options

I have a '00 GS300 which is on its original springs and shocks. Rides cushy like its supposed to.

i really want to lower the car as I plan on putting 245/40/18's very soon.

I am just not sure with all the options should I just get some springs and keep my shocks or go the coilover route.

I don't need alot adjustability just want to get the lowered look, about 1 1/2, 1 3/4" drop. Ride wise I want it to be comfortable not too stiff and sporty but not as cushy as stock.

Money is a big factor for me as well. What do you think my best options are considering my current mileage and setup?

thanks in advance...
Old 10-23-09, 08:00 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the lowering spring, but if you could afford a coil over I most definitely would do that since it convenience in the future. I would recommend that you do some search in this forum. There are many people that had ideas and experience regard this issue. Money is everyone factor at this point..
Old 10-23-09, 08:44 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springs will be the cheapest. But the problem with springs is that they give you a set height, if its too high or too low...too bad. You can't change it.

Plus they wont be a good match for your stock shocks, which already have mileage on them. They will most likely fail very soon after installing the springs. The ride will suffer as well, and most likely cause a good bit of bounce of floatiness.

Coilovers are the best option because YOU set the ride height and the dampers are matched to the springs ( well they should be depending on manufacturer). You can set ride stiffness as well, which is nice.

There are a lot of options, but for the best bang for the buck in ride, quality and adjustability, we recommend the BCR coilovers. There are a lot of happy guys on this forum with them if you look it up.

Feel free to PM us with any questions or pricing