Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air suspension woes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 08:58 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension woes.

So I have been bagged on the UAS kit fora few months now. Its pretty cool. Anyways, today I was driving low, and I notice that the car starts scraping as if it was pancaked. I try to raise it but it does nothing. So I get down and see if there are any connection issues. I get to the trunk and I hear a hissing noise. Somehow, one of the lines manages to get a teeny tiny hole in it, which where the air is escaping, and thus, not allowing the tank to fill up. So I have a few questions.
1. I want copper lines, but dont know where to get them.
2. I need to drive the car, but obviously I cant. Only solutions is to cut where the leak is and put the line back into the fitting. The only problem is that its a push on fitting. Is there anyway for me to remove the line from the fitting? Or is it no good.

Thank in advance for replies. Dont know if this is the right section but I know alot of GS guys are on air.
Old 08-28-09, 09:59 PM
djdtek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where on the line is the hole, is it close to the fitting or is it further away where you can cut out the section where the hole is and put an air line coupler in its place. any pics?
Old 08-29-09, 07:13 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Ill try and get some pics. The leak is ike 4 inches close to the fitting. Problem is I need the car and really cant wait for the fitting to ship from UAS. Dont know where to get it from. If only I could remove the line from the fitting.
Old 08-29-09, 08:57 AM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I almost had the same prob.

My leak was a lot slower. the leak I had was from the fitting. so I snipped the end of hose and reconnected it.

As for your problem, try getting those lil' black cutter that was supplied by UAS when you got your kit. Cut it back, where the 4 inch hole is. and reconnect it(hopefully you left enough slack in the lines). btw, how did you get that hole in it? You can put water and soap around areas where you think it's leaking.

also, on each fitting. it's a quick release type. to remove each line, push it into the fitting, keep the ring/sleeve(the part on the end of the fitting) in with a tool and pull the line out quickly.
Old 08-29-09, 01:52 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply. Well I found out that I could just pull out the line from the fiiting although too late because I had already snipped the line at the very tip. Luckily I had an extra fitting around. At least I learned the lines can be removed. I have no idea as to how I got the hole. Only thing that might have happened is that I connected an amp and didnt wrap the remote wire with tape. My theory is that it might have touched something and sent a spark that burnt in the small hole. It was raining yesterday when it happened and I tried resolving it but no luck. I ended up wet, driving 3mph, bouncing all over the place. At least its kind of resolved now
Now to get some copper lines. Thanks guys
Old 08-29-09, 11:35 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good thing is you were able to drive it like that. Most dudes on air can't drive the car when its layed out.
Old 08-30-09, 09:16 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheap air line. No reason for a hole to magically appear from thin air, When 99% of leaks are at connections in the system.

your remote wire doesnt have the amps to burn thru ur line either.

i know that you probably didnt even know to ask what type of air line came with your kit but its an area that some companies will skimp on (not saying anything about whoever u got urs from) because its an easy $40-$60 in profit from the "Standard" and "Good" airline when purchased at those lengths.

Copper lines: Cool, just dont bend them too much when installing or you'll have the same issue and end up replacing the whole line. They do look cool tho

The best thing about your airline (already mentioned) is you can simply cut it and put your fitting back on...aaaand hope it doesnt happen again.

If you choose to replace it all, You will be perfectly fine with a quality DOT air line. Air suspension setups dont even run enough pressure to cause the line to burst.

G'luck!!
Old 08-30-09, 08:59 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the replies guys, Emerald, my lines are DOT approved and Im guessing as I stated before, that there was a spark somewhere because I had 3 connections I didnt wrap with electrical tape, Both wires from the pressure switch, and a remote wire from amp. A small spark probably burnt a hole. I checked it and its a TINY LITTLE FRIKIN' whole. The line where it got the whole in doesnt move at all so, thats the only explanation. Rgarj: Driving at 3mph sucked and I was bouncing all over the place. I only had to drive about 1 1/2 mile so thats why I didnt call a tow truck. I still love my airs setup though. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 08-31-09, 08:50 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

all lines are DOT approved...or they wouldnt be able to sell them. Some you can get at 70 cents per foot and others at 2-3 bucks. some are reinforced, multi layered, spiral layered,etc,etc

its not sumthing that people tend to ask about because they see "DOT APPROVED" and most dont even know to ask about it....not their (or your) fault. In all fairness, sum dealers dont even know theres a huge difference in line quality.

Hopefully the next person happens to read your thread and ask for Parker lines or sumthing close.

again, youre not running enough amperage to "burn" anything.

Sometimes its a "Good thing" when stuff breaks on people...it gets them to thinking about how things are setup and what they could do to improve it.

its just a bad line in that section. you prolly wont have that problem again...if you do, replace ALL the line b4 you get stuck someplace.

Old 08-31-09, 10:50 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry a couple straight through connectors with quick disconnects on both ends. I have not had to use them but if a line under the car got cut it would be bad. I placed my solenoids as close to the bags as possible to decrease the chance that a bag could suddenly loose pressure. Even if I loose the main lines from the tank as long as I don't lower the car it will not deflate the bags.

Ben
Old 08-31-09, 11:43 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burton
Even if I loose the main lines from the tank as long as I don't lower the car it will not deflate the bags.

Ben
If you lose air pressure on your tank, the valves will leak the pressure and bags will deflate. Unless you're running check valves on your valves or are running spool valves.

One of the key benefits of doing your own air setup is, you know how everything is setup and you can fix it quick.
Old 09-01-09, 05:25 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Thats why I replaced mine with hydraulic hose

question though why didnt it go up? Even if it was leaking, it should have moved. If your tank was empty, your compressors should have kicked on and in one way or another your bag would have inflated? as for cutting and splicing, you can get some compression fittings:

copper lines though? probably cost a GRIP!
Old 09-03-09, 09:22 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Whoa, Crap. Thanks for all the replies ppl. I haven't checked this section. Ok, @ Mr. Jokster, I have 2 lines coming out of my tank. One for the front, and one for the back. Come to think about it, I have no clue why the whole car dropped. It should have kept the air, right? As far as not inflating, I was having some issues getting power to the compressors I think. Im redoing everything tomm. Im running the lins through a hole in the fender, through the firewall btw. I have gained so much knowledge thanks to youall. Mr Jokster and Vip_209 are super awesome.
Old 09-03-09, 09:49 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Whoa, Crap. Thanks for all the replies ppl. I haven't checked this section. Ok, @ Mr. Jokster, I have 2 lines coming out of my tank. One for the front, and one for the back. Come to think about it, I have no clue why the whole car dropped. It should have kept the air, right? As far as not inflating, I was having some issues getting power to the compressors I think. Im redoing everything tomm. Im running the lins through a hole in the fender, through the firewall btw. I have gained so much knowledge thanks to youall. Mr Jokster and Vip_209 are super awesome.
you should subscribe to your threads next time

No power to your compressors...where is your power source coming from? Are your relays wired right, good grounds? As for car dropping, probably leaks at the bag or valve (not uncommon) its part of install, finding leaks best thing to do is use lots of Teflon on all the treads. One thing I dont/didnt like about those push fittings is that if the hose is in a slight angle on input, it will leak as mentioned above, put soapy water at each thread and see where its coming from. I too have a bad leak on one bag, but as said, gonna replace hoses so I havent worried much.

Check where the hose is going through fire wall, make sure it didnt get sliced there. In any event, your compressors not turning on is whats most important cause leaks are just a nuisance while empty tank is immobilizing :/
Old 09-03-09, 10:41 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

The power prob has been solved. It was the relay messing up. Im doing everything with time tomm. You placed your lines form the from bags through the firewall right? How did you tie the lines down? I cut a hole in the fender but its almost in a straight line to the bag. I want it to go tied to the chassis but doing so will bend the line

Quick Reply: Air suspension woes.