Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

KW coilovers for our x50's??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 04:39 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KW coilovers for our x50's??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KW-V3...Q5fAccessories

Damn i dont know if they is a repost or not, but I've been waiting for these to come out. Can anyone tell me this is not BS or what. I want these already lolz.. I think i want them rather then getting AR's..
Old 07-16-09, 05:04 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it's true, KW has released the KW Variant 3's for the IS models. They are only special order right now fgrom what I know. Very nice coilovers

We carry them, and have a FS thread in the Vendor section. Oh and our CL member price is Waaayyy lower than that Ebay price
Old 07-16-09, 06:04 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are the KW ones better than other ones like Teins, Tanabes, BCs, JIC's, HKS's, etc? Or is it more comparable to the upper end?
Old 07-16-09, 08:01 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

KW has a been in the business for a long time and it shows in thier work. They have a lot of racing experience that they put back into suspension design. KW has a huge desgin facility in Germany with dynos, shaker machines, etc.

Compared to everything you have listed they will ride smoother on the street but still feel sporty when pushed and turned up. They also provide the most amount of suspension travel.

They are worth the money
Old 07-16-09, 09:01 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Exactly, these were the first coilovers i wanted since i got my car last year, and they have finally arrived. I even brought up this subject last year and many did not believe me when i told them KW will come out with coilovers for our x50's. lolz CircuitMS get me a price already
Old 07-17-09, 09:39 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep the sales inquiries to PM guys. This is an informational thread, not a sales listing.

Javier
Old 07-17-09, 10:03 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes.
Old 07-20-09, 09:17 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone put these on an IS yet??
Old 07-23-09, 11:18 PM
Dalotel
Driver School Candidate

I have had KW V3s on my IS350 slightly less than a week. I got the KWs from Group 5 Motorsport in San Diego.

So far I am really impresssed. The KW are very smooth, better than stock ride (Luxury Option) when set to a soft setting.
I do not track my car so I have not expeimented with anything stiffer than factory default setting:
Front:
Rebound 6 clicks out of 18 (softest) clicks
Compression .75 turns out of 2 (softest) turns
Rear:
Rebound 9 clicks out of 18 (softest) clicks
Compression .75 turns out of 2 (softest) turns
In the default settings the coilovers are still amazingly smooth and handle very well.

Concerning installation:
The KW do not have separate preload and height adjustment, and they use the stock Lexus top mounts. This makes them very quiet. You do have to modify the front top mount to make it fit the front KW coilovers. The rework instructions are ok. So if you are expecting "plug and play" coilovers you may be disappointed. In my opinion the performance more than makes up for this.
Also, when adjusting the ride height before installation make sure that you set the ride height higher than you actually intend to lower the car because it is much easier to lower the coilovers and work with the spring force when the coilovers are installed in the car.

My car also has F-Sport swaybars and Tom's suspension/chassis braces and they complement the KWs perfectly.

Next on the "to-do" list is alignment and new tires.
Old 07-24-09, 12:37 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

If the height adjustment isn't separate from the preload, does that mean the ride height affects the ride stiffness?
Old 07-26-09, 09:57 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, stiffness is set by the springs and the damping, not the preload.
Old 07-29-09, 07:36 PM
jammire110
Driver School Candidate

KW has a been in the business for a long time and it shows in thier work. They have a lot of racing experience that they put back into suspension design. KW has a huge desgin facility in Germany with dynos, shaker machines..
Old 08-01-09, 09:18 PM
MAV3556
Driver School Candidate

Dalotel, I was wondering if you have experienced any problem with your KW V3's? I'm asking this because the KW V3's for the IS-F are the same and the BMW 3 Series forum has been complaining about some serious issues with it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243156
Old 08-01-09, 10:54 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

that is so expensive coilovers..
Old 08-02-09, 12:15 PM
Dalotel
Driver School Candidate

MAV3556,
So far I have not had any issues on my KW V3s.
I lowered my IS350 within KW's recommended range and I followed the Lexus service manual instructions and torque specs.
I read your attached thread from the BMW 3 series forum. WHEW!
The KW V3's for the ISX50/ISF seem to have completely different mounting points than the BMW 3 series.
The KW V3's for the ISX50/ISF look very similar to the first gen Lexus IS300. So hopefully all the bugs have been worked out by now.

That being said, there are always risks with installing any aftermarket parts.
I spent 3 years researching and deciding on what aftermarket suspension to install on my car. If I wanted to play it safe I should have left the car bone stock but I have never been truly happy with the stock IS350 suspension. It is neither particularly sporty or smooth. I could have gone with the F-Sport combo but it lacks any adjustability.

So far no regrets.

Quick Reply: KW coilovers for our x50's??