Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pad advice for GS400 needed. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 09:13 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Brake pad advice for GS400 needed. Thanks

I am interested in one of the following Akebono brake pads:

Akebono Premium
Akebono ProAct
Akebono Euro
Akebono Street Performance

I have had the Akebono ProAct for the last 3 years and need replacement. They are great pads and was contemplating just buying them again but now I am unsure about the other models. Is anyone familiar with any of these pads? If so, what are the pros and cons of each. Looking to pick up fronts and rears at Tirerack.

Oh, one last thing. I have OE replacment Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors from 3 years ago. I think they are still ok, can brake shops cut (turn) these types of rotors? Is it absolutely necessary to do this everytime you install new brake pads?

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-04-09, 09:38 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes New pads = turn rotors, other wise it just a waste of new pads
Old 06-04-09, 11:14 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
h, one last thing. I have OE replacment Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors from 3 years ago. I think they are still ok, can brake shops cut (turn) these types of rotors? Is it absolutely necessary to do this everytime you install new brake pads?
1. No, you can't turn drilled OR slotted rotors as the bit would catch the grooves and holes and make for a nasty cut.
2. It's not absolutely necessary to turn them, but the chances are that they will need to be replaced within a short period of time after you replace your pads. Needless to say, if you do your own work, brakes parts are easy enough to replace if you decide at a later date your rotors need to be replaced. If it were me, and your steering wheel is shaking when you hit the brakes, I'd replace them. If it's not shaking, measure them for the minimum thickness, and go from there. If it's below the min. thickness, they will heat up and not be able to disipate the heat, causing heat check, and will warp even faster. If it were a customer's car, I'd recommend pads and rotors as your time is money. Ive had great luck with Wagner thermo quiet pads and duralast rotors from Autozone, as I'd heard great things on the F-Body forums (firebirds/camaros). Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-09, 02:32 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
1. No, you can't turn drilled OR slotted rotors as the bit would catch the grooves and holes and make for a nasty cut.
2. It's not absolutely necessary to turn them, but the chances are that they will need to be replaced within a short period of time after you replace your pads. Needless to say, if you do your own work, brakes parts are easy enough to replace if you decide at a later date your rotors need to be replaced. If it were me, and your steering wheel is shaking when you hit the brakes, I'd replace them. If it's not shaking, measure them for the minimum thickness, and go from there. If it's below the min. thickness, they will heat up and not be able to disipate the heat, causing heat check, and will warp even faster. If it were a customer's car, I'd recommend pads and rotors as your time is money. Ive had great luck with Wagner thermo quiet pads and duralast rotors from Autozone, as I'd heard great things on the F-Body forums (firebirds/camaros). Hope that helps.
Great response! Thanks! So in your opinion what would you do if you were me keeping the car for another 1-2 years? Definitely buy rotors too? I really don't want to spring for the extra cash as I am looking into getting new wheels and get my kit installed and painted in the next 3-4 weeks. There goes $4K right there...easy
Old 06-04-09, 03:26 PM
3UZFTE

Well I think you'll find after buying wheels/tires, pads and rotors wont be too bad. If it were me, I would go ahead and buy front and rear rotors, don't have..... to be OEM, like I said I used Duralast, and I'm quite happy. I've had them for about a year, and I drive hard, but I am not pushing as much power. I think I paid $60 for the front pair, and the rears are less than that. I think pads were $45 for the front, and $38? for the rears. Also spring for some good brake lube, as Napa has some nice purple stuff I like to use.
So it's really up to you and your budget of what's going to break the bank. I think your clearly not going to low ball this, but I wouldn't wanna spend $4k without spending a few bucks on the brakes. As far as preference, I think it has been beatin' to death, twice over. Try just throwing pads on it, and see what happens. And if you choose that the Brembo rotors aren't cutting it, go grab a set, so when you through your new wheels on, it just takes a little more time. And you mentioned painting the caliper, I would replace the rotors when you do that as your spending a lot of time there, might as well... My. $.02. A new set of wheels? what kind/size?
Old 06-04-09, 05:15 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is another open thread on turning drilled/slotted rotors that I just started this week...

I have heard mixed opinions on whether you can turn drilled/slotted rotors. Some shops won't do it, others have no problem.
Old 06-04-09, 05:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Akebono Premium
Akebono ProAct
Akebono Euro

I have had the Akebono ProAct for the last 3 years and need replacement. They are great pads and was contemplating just buying them again but now I am unsure about the other models. Is anyone familiar with any of these pads? If so, what are the pros and cons of each. Looking to pick up fronts and rears at Tirerack.

Oh, one last thing. I have OE replacment Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors from 3 years ago. I think they are still ok, can brake shops cut (turn) these types of rotors? Is it absolutely necessary to do this everytime you install new brake pads?

Thanks again guys!
I have the ProActs up front, I put them in about 6 months ago and I am happy with them. Never used the other Akebonos but the more performance oriented pads are often noisier then the regular pads. I may replace the rears soon after I check them. You don't have to turn or replace your rotors when replacing pads if the rotors are still smooth and in good condition.

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...&car_year=2000

Check out placeforbrakes, they are usaully a little cheaper then other places and have free shipping over $50, doing them yourself will save you some money and if you want you can paint your calipers while you have the wheel off.
Old 06-04-09, 07:34 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks again guys...perhaps I will look into getting the rotors as well!

I am looking into those Forgestar F-05's from D2 Autosports! The machined ones. I am looking to get 19X8.5 (front; 2" lip, about 22.5lbs) and 19X10 (rear; 3.25" lip, about 24lbs). I will put 235's up front and 275's in the rear; Toyo Proxes T1R's. Offsets are made to order so it will be flush with all four fenders with the need of a roll or cut.

I have done a TON of research and these wheels are the perfect match for me...for look and performance vs price. There are a crapload of sweet 2 and 3 pc forged wheels out there (that I like better) like from IForged, Zone and HRE but I am not feeling spending $1K per wheel! lol

...check 'em out and let me knwo what you guys think.
Old 06-05-09, 06:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...now I think I like the Giovanna Forged F-05's (2-pc wheels). I'm so confused ;(
Old 06-05-09, 11:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Akebono Premium
Akebono ProAct
Akebono Euro

Thanks again guys!
um...yes u can turn them guys. we actually just had this conversation like 4 days ago. dave said his dealer turned his

few topic here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ed-rotors.html
Old 06-07-09, 09:09 AM
3UZFTE

Sorry for being misinformed, I have never done them, nor have I worked for a shop that will. I've worked for Lexus and Toyota, GM and 3 independent shops, I haven't ever seen anyone do it, but I wouldn't be the first to try. I just gave you my experience and my knowledge, best of luck with whatever you choose. I just read the other thread, I am sure Dave is right, however I can't confirm this. But as far as the brake lathe goes, I used the same one at Gm, that I did at Toy/Lex, but at the independent, we just replaced the rotors. I would be curious to see if they did it on the car or off, and what machine they used as I have used just about all of them, as AAMCO only makes likes 5 models.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 06-07-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-07-09, 12:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry for being misinformed, I have never done them, nor have I worked for a shop that will. I've worked for Lexus and Toyota, GM and 3 independent shops, I haven't ever seen anyone do it, but I wouldn't be the first to try. I just gave you my experience and my knowledge, best of luck with whatever you choose. I just read the other thread, I am sure Dave is right, however I can't confirm this. But as far as the brake lathe goes, I used the same one at Gm, that I did at Toy/Lex, but at the independent, we just replaced the rotors. I would be curious to see if they did it on the car or off, and what machine they used as I have used just about all of them, as AAMCO only makes likes 5 models.
its no big thing. thats what we here for to talk/debate and help people out. i wasnt sure if they could re-surface them or turn them but i would have to believe you could or else what would owners of BBK'S do? i mean my rotora's werent terribly costly but i would hate to have to buy a new set of rotors everytime, that would make much sense to me
Old 06-07-09, 02:02 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Great response! Thanks! So in your opinion what would you do if you were me keeping the car for another 1-2 years? Definitely buy rotors too? I really don't want to spring for the extra cash as I am looking into getting new wheels and get my kit installed and painted in the next 3-4 weeks. There goes $4K right there...easy
So you're dropping $4k into your car you only plan to keep 1-2 years?

Really figure out how long you want to keep your car, I think that'll play a big role in how much you want to spend on it versus applying that money towards your next car.
Old 06-07-09, 06:40 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
its no big thing. thats what we here for to talk/debate and help people out. i wasnt sure if they could re-surface them or turn them but i would have to believe you could or else what would owners of BBK'S do? i mean my rotora's werent terribly costly but i would hate to have to buy a new set of rotors everytime, that would make much sense to me
For owners with BBK like Dave and I, most of the time, we don't ever turn our rotor unless they are pitted since the slots kind of use the brake dust to cut and smooth the rotors out. Also, dave is correct in that the local dealership and a few shops in the charlotte area does turn slotted rotors as I've had in done in the past. They charge I think $20 or so per rotor.
Old 06-08-09, 10:45 AM
3UZFTE

Yeah, I do understand there are different methods, I just hadn't ever seen it done. I asked my friend who works at the Mopar dealer what he does with SRT8 vehicles with the brembos, and he said they do a $2,000 brake job every time they come in for brakes. He said they replace all pads and rotors, they don't turn them either. I would bet that it's more or a money making vs. cost thing. So if your looking to get them turned, I would call around and find a shop because I don't think most will turn them, or at least that is my experience.

Quick Reply: Brake pad advice for GS400 needed. Thanks