Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD sway bars are installed - review

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 08:39 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Default TRD sway bars are installed - review

I installed the front TRD blue sway bar Friday night. Took about two hours, mostly because of the excessively tight space in my garage. I jacked up the whole car up thinking I would do both the front and back sways but I couldn't unbolt the rear endlink bolts, so after struggling with them for about half an hour I decided to just leave the stock rear for now. Anyway with front TRD and rear stock bars the car handling was noticeably better.

Sunday afternoon I decided to tackle the rear sway bar again. I disconneted the end links from the lower control arm and then unbolted the sway bar with the endlinks still bolted to the bar. I put the sway bar on my bench vice and tried an allen key to keep the endlink pivot bolt from turning while I wrenched at the nut. Well the allen key fitting started slipping so I new I was starting to get into trouble with the endlink. I finally got the link unbolted by using needle nose vice grips to hold on to the pivot stud just past the rubber boot. The nut came off pretty easy after that.

Anyway I got the rear sway all bolted up and went for a test ride.

All I can say is wow! With just the front TRD the ride was really good, with both front and rear sways installed the car feels like a real sports car. Just like everyone else has said, it really is like night and day. I have Bilstein sport shocks, and L-sportline springs (same as Eibach or L-tuned except slightly lower height and a bit firmer). With the stock sway bars my Bilstein shock/spring setup felt harsh. With the TRD Sways, the car actually feels more compliant. Bumps in the road seem to be absorbed more smoothly as apposed to the jittery feeling I got with the stock sways. Others have commented that the TRD's give a firmer/harsher ride. I think with my Bilstein sports, the TRD's have actually given me back the smooth almost stock like ride on bumpier roads. The ride is smooth but when it comes to twists and turns it is definitely way better than stock. This is the sport sedan setup Lexus should have offered all along - maybe as a factory option.
Old 05-25-09, 09:04 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang it....i want. awesome review, and good job on the rear sways!
Old 05-26-09, 10:02 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I found that the TRD sways gives a dampening effect. It's like when a speaker reverberates... not harsh at all. Maybe, with FIGs arm - I can tighten the rear a little bit and see how that performs on a curve (hope someone can test his design).

As a side note: I have low profile tires on 19 and it's not such a good combination because when it hits a pot hole- you can really hear it thump. My setup is bilstein sports with eibach springs (+ 3/4 RCA front). I may end up with a slightly taller tires to help with potholes on my 19's.
Old 05-26-09, 10:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. I just ordered a set of these myself.
Old 05-26-09, 10:33 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good decision, these sways really do make everything feel more solid & connected. I think like one person said they were harsh and it gave them a bad rep from the get-go. I've read like 20 reviews since the 1st that all said the ride wasn't harsh, but felt better in every way
Old 05-26-09, 11:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Until recently, TRDs were known to be 'harsh' but I think its because they dont know what harsh really is. Most people are use to the OEM lexus ride so anything stiffer would be a negative thing. When I first had my TRDs, they were anything but harsh. I liked it much more than the Daizen bars I bought afterwards.
Old 05-27-09, 07:49 PM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you upgrade your endlinks or just use the stock ones?
Old 05-27-09, 08:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Thanks for the review. I just ordered a set of these myself.
thought you got Daizen...
Old 05-28-09, 07:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by istundra
thought you got Daizen...
Sewell no longer carries Daizen bars, which I found out after my purchase, so I switched and went with the TRDs.
Old 05-28-09, 09:50 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanS14
Did you upgrade your endlinks or just use the stock ones?
I re-used the old stock ones. The flex joints didn't seem to have any noticable play in them. Not bad for over ten years worth of Canadian winters.

Does anyone know if upgrades are worth pursuing?
Old 05-28-09, 10:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sewell no longer carries Daizen bars, which I found out after my purchase, so I switched and went with the TRDs.
LOL, I must've got the last shipment of Daizens from Sewell.
Old 05-28-09, 10:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, I must've got the last shipment of Daizens from Sewell.
I think so too

Just playing! Have you had any more success with the Daizen bars? I am looking forward to comparing my experience with the TRDs to yours with the Daizens.

If my ride ends up harsh...I'm going to go postal! Thankfully that stigma seems overplayed, but we'll see.
Old 05-28-09, 10:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I think so too

Just playing! Have you had any more success with the Daizen bars? I am looking forward to comparing my experience with the TRDs to yours with the Daizens.

If my ride ends up harsh...I'm going to go postal! Thankfully that stigma seems overplayed, but we'll see.
Well, couple of things. After driving with the daizens for a while, I dont like how my car oversteers, so I actually ordered a front TRD bar to stiffen the front even more, and hopefully get some extra understeer. Keep in mind that I'm riding on oversized sidewall tires (235/55/17) and stock suspension.

As far as the ride quality, I did not note any difference. My wife however did - but she has this stupid habit of driving around speed bumps, and driving over them with only one side of the car. Obviously with a stiff sway bar the suspension is less independant, so that explains it.

But of course I did not inform my wife that I molested, errr, modified the car with they sway bars. I told her that the shocks are probably on the way out, and it will give me a good excuse to get a set of Bilstein sports in the nearmost future. Of couse I will tell her they are Lexus stock shocks. Of course I will have to come up with another excuse after the ride becomes even stiffer with those new shocks
Old 05-28-09, 10:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Of couse I will tell her they are Lexus stock shocks. Of course I will have to come up with another excuse after the ride becomes even stiffer with those new shocks
New shocks allow for less travel and "give", thus making the ride harder. Right? Right Och?
Old 05-28-09, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

New shocks allow for less travel and "give", thus making the ride harder. Right? Right Och?
Exactly p:

Quick Reply: TRD sway bars are installed - review