Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber wear...solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 02:04 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber wear...solutions?

So I just patched one of my rear tires and I noticed that im starting to get some camber wear on my tires (which i had already expected would soon happen after lowering the car on Eibachs). I was hoping after alignment, the wear wouldnt be too bad since the drop is conservative.

Now I have plans to upgrade to 19" wheels and would hate to cough up money every 6 months or so on tires. To those with eibachs and those who are alot lower, my question is how do you guys deal with this issue? Can the toe be adjusted or would i have to get one of the 3 products that megan has to offer, which is the Rear Adj. Traction Arm, Rear Adj. Upper Arms, and/or Rear Toe Control Arms. With my old integra it was a simple camber kit for the front that solved this issue.

I know the wear isnt much, but its only been a 2,000 miles or so. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by LEXisJaDeM; 02-14-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-14-09, 03:19 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

it's the price we pay for lowering our cars...just flip your tires and get the most out of them... by the way where in cali are you located maybe someone in your area has a hook-up on tires
Old 02-14-09, 04:01 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

yeah i know, makes me have second thoughts about getting new wheels. i think im just gonna have to get them flipped for now. im in so cal 626 area. i know theres a bunch of places out here for used tires, but still want to see what the best option would be to fixing the camber issue.
Old 02-14-09, 08:59 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

if you flip them you will get the most out of the tires...just dont wait too long where it goes to belt. I usually flipped tired on all my lowered cars right before the tread was gone on the corner.

By the time the other side wears...the rest of the tire will be ready to go.

In Miami...everyone goes to Miami Chassis where they redrill the hole on the LCA and push the LCA in to straighten the rear camber. All my friends and brother with GS350's got this done. The front they bend the spindle straight. This place has been doing this for all types of cars for the last 15 years. I see all kinds of high end cars there all the time. Lots of lowered $100k plus cars miami.
Old 02-15-09, 12:24 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

sounds like flipping the tires is the best option right now. any idea how much they charge over in miami to redrill the hole on the LCA?
Old 02-15-09, 07:39 PM
sinister2c
Racer

$300 with alignment
Old 02-15-09, 08:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXisJaDeM
So I just patched one of my rear tires and I noticed that im starting to get some camber wear on my tires (which i had already expected would soon happen after lowering the car on Eibachs). I was hoping after alignment, the wear wouldnt be too bad since the drop is conservative.

Now I have plans to upgrade to 19" wheels and would hate to cough up money every 6 months or so on tires. To those with eibachs and those who are alot lower, my question is how do you guys deal with this issue? Can the toe be adjusted or would i have to get one of the 3 products that megan has to offer, which is the Rear Adj. Traction Arm, Rear Adj. Upper Arms, and/or Rear Toe Control Arms. With my old integra it was a simple camber kit for the front that solved this issue.

I know the wear isnt much, but its only been a 2,000 miles or so. Thanks in advanced.
Toe is adjustable. Getting it right will stop your wear issues.
Old 02-15-09, 09:14 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if this is the case with F Sport Springs?
Old 02-16-09, 01:01 AM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Think im gonna have to see if i can get it realigned and have the shop adjust the toe. thanks for your input.
Old 02-16-09, 10:01 AM
sinister2c
Racer

even with perfect toe you will wear a lil bit of camber. my car is pretty low and I have about -2.5 in the rear and -2.1 up front. Both are with in spec but I still see some camber wear on the inside. I get an alignment every 3-4 months since I bough the unlimited alignment for 3 years. I am not concerned about the wear because I monitor my tires often and get them flipped when needed.

I know the GS wears tires worst than the IS even though its got similar suspension geometry. Thats why my brother and friends all got their camber fixed. My friend with an SC430 got it fixed at Miami Chassis too.
Old 02-16-09, 10:40 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

^^ if it gets fixed through that shop regardless your still gonna have camber wear again or no???? i think thats kind of a waste? i'm at -2.8 right now though if its a permanent solution then i'd do it lol
Old 02-16-09, 11:11 AM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sinister2c
even with perfect toe you will wear a lil bit of camber. my car is pretty low and I have about -2.5 in the rear and -2.1 up front. Both are with in spec but I still see some camber wear on the inside. I get an alignment every 3-4 months since I bough the unlimited alignment for 3 years. I am not concerned about the wear because I monitor my tires often and get them flipped when needed.

I know the GS wears tires worst than the IS even though its got similar suspension geometry. Thats why my brother and friends all got their camber fixed. My friend with an SC430 got it fixed at Miami Chassis too.
I see, can you give me an idea on how much the unlimited alignment is gonna be? I normally pay about 35 for front and rear computerized alignment, but when i got the car lowered i went through another shop and it was done through some sort of laser technique and cost me 70.
Old 02-16-09, 11:59 AM
kikaida
Lead Lap

You can get these. Though you will need to find someone who will know how to adjust them well.
Old 02-21-09, 04:48 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

do we need all three to solve the camber issue?
Old 02-21-09, 05:15 PM
newnmpr0ve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^ what he said...

ya know, most people think its the camber that eats up the tires but in all honesty, the toe wears it out the most... since ur local, take ur car to westend alignment here in torrance, ca.... give darin a call and set up an appointment with him... he charges roughly between 60-100 for front and back without any sort of aftermarket adjustments... my camber is set somewhere around -1.5 or so since i didnt have a camber kit on my (rsx) to get it close to -.5... but he did tell me to monitor my tires and i did see a SLIGHT amount of tire eating on the inside... but its not to the point where i have to flip my tires before the whole tire is gone... and i drive aggressively too... trust me, u will not regret it, all ur tire eating problems will be resolved

Last edited by newnmpr0ve; 02-21-09 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Camber wear...solutions?