Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: IS250 front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 09:45 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up.

My only suggestion is to replace the C-clamp w/ a special tool designed to compress the piston on the caliper. This is a cheap version and should cost under $10.

The only reason I suggest this is that it puts even pressure on the entire piston by placing the compression point at the center rather than just one side.
Old 02-14-09, 09:49 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

On further inspection of your photos you could accomplish the same effect by reversing the C-clamp and placing the point at the center of the piston rather than the edge. Assuming of course there is clearance for the C-clamp to attach this way.
Old 02-14-09, 10:09 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

Like I said earlier, you can just leave the brakpad that is on the piston side and use the clamp...no need to find the tool or buy one! But I agree about the uneven pressure thing...

Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 02-14-09, 10:20 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sodeti
Like I said earlier, you can just leave the brakpad that is on the piston side and use the clamp...no need to find the tool or buy one! But I agree about the uneven pressure thing...

Thanks for posting the pic.
I didn't read all the responses and did not see yours.

You should "turn" the rotors whenever the brake pads are changed. You should be able to take them to any Auto Zone type store to have them turned. Cost is about $20-$25. They also must be within a thickness tolerance spec. or they will not turn them and you will have to replace them. It you do not turn them and they are worn the new brake pads will not last as long an my not perform as designed and specified. I have replaced brake pads w/o turning the rotors on one vehicle once and did not experience any problems. My pads were changed @ 5000 miles on my IS two weeks ago. I assume that due to the low milaege Lexus did not turn the rotors.
Old 02-14-09, 10:37 AM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Links to IS350 Brake Pad Change:
Front:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html
Rear:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-stickers.html
Old 02-14-09, 09:31 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

JAVY is DA MAN !
Old 02-14-09, 09:34 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can use a small piece of wood with the c clamp/pliers to evenly distribute the pressure.
Old 02-14-09, 10:32 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Goooooood Job!
Old 02-15-09, 02:31 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Nice write up Javier!I'll bake you some brownies, and you can install my brakes and side turn signal mirrors.
Old 02-21-09, 06:56 PM
TXcowboy
Driver School Candidate

Default great job

First of all, great job. This was DIY was for the front brakes, but is it the same procedure for the back brakes?
Old 02-22-09, 12:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Old 02-22-09, 12:21 PM
superi0ro1
Rookie

The top 14mm bolt for the capiler don't need to be remove. Once the lower one is remove the capiler should just swing up. Btw still a nice write up.
Old 02-22-09, 08:38 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
...You should "turn" the rotors whenever the brake pads are changed. You should be able to take them to any Auto Zone type store to have them turned. Cost is about $20-$25. They also must be within a thickness tolerance spec. or they will not turn them and you will have to replace them. It you do not turn them and they are worn the new brake pads will not last as long an my not perform as designed and specified. I have replaced brake pads w/o turning the rotors on one vehicle once and did not experience any problems. My pads were changed @ 5000 miles on my IS two weeks ago. I assume that due to the low milaege Lexus did not turn the rotors.
There's no need to resurface rotors unless they are damaged or deeply scored. Resurfacing is just a quick way to get new rotors on the car.
Originally Posted by superi0ro1
The top 14mm bolt for the capiler don't need to be remove. Once the lower one is remove the capiler should just swing up. Btw still a nice write up.
That would be true if there wasn't a dust shield behind the disc. That was the first thing I tried, but the dust shield prohibits the caliper from swinging up or down.

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 07:16 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome.. now do one for installing new studs!

Old 02-24-09, 10:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
On further inspection of your photos you could accomplish the same effect by reversing the C-clamp and placing the point at the center of the piston rather than the edge. Assuming of course there is clearance for the C-clamp to attach this way.
That's how I always try first. Doesn't always work though.

Originally Posted by javyLSU
There's no need to resurface rotors unless they are damaged or deeply scored. Resurfacing is just a quick way to get new rotors on the car...

Javier
+1. The only thing I would do is measure the disc to be sure it's not below minimum thickness. From the pics, that disc looks perfect for a pad swap, but without measuring, you can't be 100%.

Nice write up Javy!

Quick Reply: DIY: IS250 front brakes