Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS400: handle like a 3-series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 11:23 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS400: handle like a 3-series?

I know, I know--I shouldv'e bought a 3 series. Let's just get that out there now. I like Lexus better.

On with the question:

I LOVE how the BMW 3 series handles, and I'm trying to get close. To do it with a mild drop, I'm thinking the following:

Spring options:
Eibach Pro Kit
Tanabe NF210
Tien H-Tech

Shocks:
Bilstein Sport

Sway bars:
Daizen front and rear

AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK?
Old 01-11-09, 12:31 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd say on the right track, but keep in mind the 3 series is a smaller car so it will feel more nimble. with enough suspension under a gs you should be able to get it near the handling of a 5 series sport package car
Old 01-11-09, 12:39 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a very good start but it all depends on how close you want to be.
If you could ever get it to match the 3-series, I'm thinking you'd first have to shave off about 300+ lbs from the GS.
Old 01-11-09, 12:44 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing to mention is that you're also trying to work on a car with 10years of use on it.

There's going to be play in a lot if not all of the suspension components if they are the OE ones (bushings/steering rack) etc etc. You should at a minimum add on the steering rack and balljoint replacements which are stickied in this subforum if you haen't done those already, but that won't get you all the way back to original new handling.

I'd claim that a new mazda3 or potentially even a new equivilant regular toyota will have better handling then a 10yr old GS (that has not had any front end replacement done).

Just keep that in mind that your handling is not the same as in 1998 (unless you replace a lot of those 10year old parts) and set your expectations accordingly.

Now if you're comparing to a 10year old bmw then you are then comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-11-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 01:49 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
good points indicated
i've driven both quite hard and still am awe'd by the 3 series handling. the lexus is just simply comfortable while the bmw was all about performance handling, imo.

be prepared to dump some $$$ into your 98 to bring it up to a 3 series' handling
imho, i dont think spring/shocks, sways will do...
Old 01-11-09, 02:44 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned an E46 330i with Sports Suspension. Handling all stock is pretty impressive. IMHO, it isn't too hard to get the Lexus GS to handle as well as the 3 Seiries; however, it will be virtually impossible to get it to feel and have the same driving dynamics as the BMW. Handling and driver feedback/feel is different. That BMW steering feedback has a lot to do with how good the BMW driving dynamics are. That is something you just can't duplicate in the Lexus cars. At the moment, if I set my coilover dampening to to a certain level, I can get the same ride feel as my old BMW with sports suspension in terms of road feel, how it soaks up bumps, stiffness, and such. But, once you turn the steering wheel the car really is just numb compared to the BMW? If you are looking to just improve the over all handling of the GS, you'd do very well, but it still wont feel and drive like a BMW 3 Series.
Old 01-11-09, 08:31 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

If you want handling get a set of Bilstein PSS coilovers, upgrade the front bushings to daizens, daizen or trd sways, toms 6 piece rear setup, front and rear strut tower bars -- and you are cooking with gas!
Old 01-11-09, 09:33 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Probably better to go with coilovers in this situation for the adjustability. And don't forget to get a "performance" alignment and probably the most important thing, good tires.

Also keep in mind that it is highly unlikely that you can make your gs400 FEEL like it handles like a 3 series. The main reason for this is the difference of the design of the steering systems. Power steering rack ratios and how heavy the steering wheel is engineered to feel in your hands.

So even if both cars can pull the same amount of g force and go through a slalom at the same speed, it is highly unlikely that it will feel the same doing it.
Old 01-11-09, 10:31 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, I didn't think I could replicate the feel, but close is good. I don't like the roll around corners, at take-off, etc. I want to feel spirited, nimble, flexible...not like a boat. And somehow I want to do this without going broke...

PS. Are strut bars strut bars for the most part? On e-bay there are like $50 bars...is it worth the extra $100 to get a $150 bar?
Old 01-11-09, 11:03 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

the boat feeling went away immediately after i put in my megan coilovers.

Although they're cheap, I'd do strut bars last as they would make the least amount of difference compared to the other items.
Old 01-11-09, 11:26 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

BUSHINGS! Also, Tom's 6link and front/rear braces.
Old 01-11-09, 11:52 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

BUSHINGS! Also, Tom's 6link and front/rear braces.
Scott1258 mentioned bushings...which ones exactly are the biggest bang for the buck? Also, there's a steering rack adjustment screw I remember reading about here--would this help?
Old 01-12-09, 11:03 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If you are looking to just improve the over all handling of the GS, you'd do very well, but it still wont feel and drive like a BMW 3 Series.
+1.

Also, how far are you willing to sacrifice the ride quality to get the better handling?
Old 01-12-09, 11:17 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
+1.

Also, how far are you willing to sacrifice the ride quality to get the better handling?
Right about how a 3-series makes the compromise. Good ride and handling. I don't need a go-cart...nor a Cadillac.
Old 01-12-09, 11:21 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, there's threads before I've saw from the vibration at 60+ or something, which also noted tightening the bolt on the steering rack by about 1/3? or changing the steering ECU will help in steering feel... As it tightens the steering wheel to close to BMW feel. Me though, I like how lazy it is, GS is a luxury and comfortable car to me, thus I'd like it that way.

Quick Reply: GS400: handle like a 3-series?