Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ls caliper upgrade or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 11:30 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, do the LS400 swap because it's a great upgrade. It's a very, very noticeable difference over stock stopping power. And if you have performance plans like turbo or whatever the route they'll come in handy, trust me...
Old 01-01-09, 11:45 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
Yes, do the LS400 swap because it's a great upgrade. It's a very, very noticeable difference over stock stopping power. And if you have performance plans like turbo or whatever the route they'll come in handy, trust me...
Kinda late buddie haha kidding. Yes this is a MUST for every SC owner.
Old 01-04-09, 02:36 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS400 front brake caliper stop the sc cars wonderfully and much better than stock brakes. The problem lies in modulation, they act more like a on/off switch when paired with our smaller brake master cylinder. So, the LS400 front brakes will stop your car better but it you'll lose that smooth transition of stopping power when partially pressing the brake pedal.
Old 01-04-09, 02:58 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by dejacky
The LS400 front brake caliper stop the sc cars wonderfully and much better than stock brakes. The problem lies in modulation, they act more like a on/off switch when paired with our smaller brake master cylinder. So, the LS400 front brakes will stop your car better but it you'll lose that smooth transition of stopping power when partially pressing the brake pedal.
Will upgrading to supra tt rear calipers fix this problem?
Or can we upgrade to an ls400 master cylinder and/or proportion value?
Old 01-04-09, 05:55 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Will upgrading to supra tt rear calipers fix this problem?
Or can we upgrade to an ls400 master cylinder and/or proportion value?
Upgrading the real calipers to the supra TT ones will make it worse because the onset of the problem has to do with the fact that the LS400 calipers use more fluid volume. So, by further increasing the size of your rear calipers, you'll make it worse. Basically, there is this dead pedal zone in the beginning of the brake pedal stroke. It still applies the brakes, but extremely softly.

What makes sense is installing a larger brake master cylinder and making sure the fluid is proportioned correctly between front and rear. So, anyone who's done this before or has the knowledge of how to do this, we'd all appreciate your input .
Old 01-04-09, 09:16 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dejacky
Upgrading the real calipers to the supra TT ones will make it worse because the onset of the problem has to do with the fact that the LS400 calipers use more fluid volume. So, by further increasing the size of your rear calipers, you'll make it worse. Basically, there is this dead pedal zone in the beginning of the brake pedal stroke. It still applies the brakes, but extremely softly.

What makes sense is installing a larger brake master cylinder and making sure the fluid is proportioned correctly between front and rear. So, anyone who's done this before or has the knowledge of how to do this, we'd all appreciate your input .
I would definitely invest in a larger master cylinder if it would solve this problem. any lexus techs know if the LS400 master cylinder would fit?
Old 01-04-09, 11:59 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

the ls400 brake master cylinder does not fit since it's a different bolt pattern. If you made an adapter plate, I could see that working
Old 01-04-09, 01:42 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Neither the supra tt or 2nd gen ls400 brake mastery cylinder will fit because they are 2 bolts. Also idk why but on the sc300/400 diagrams they show a 2 bolt gasket along with the 3 bolt gasket. Maybe some lucky people have 2 bolt master cylinders.

I guess you could swap out the brake booster along with the master cylinder.

The 1st gen ls400(i'm looking at 92 diagram) has a 3 bolt master cylinder. So i would recon you can swap to the ls400 master cylinder. Also the w/ traction control cylinder looks large then the normal on.

I wounder if its possible just to swap the proportion value to either the supra tt value or ls400 value. Maybe that alone would solve the problem. Especially if fill the past master cylinder the max point.
Old 01-04-09, 01:55 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

also if you are going to do the upgrade,make sure they will fit if you have aftermarket rims or any rims for that matter
Old 01-04-09, 08:12 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Neither the supra tt or 2nd gen ls400 brake mastery cylinder will fit because they are 2 bolts. Also idk why but on the sc300/400 diagrams they show a 2 bolt gasket along with the 3 bolt gasket. Maybe some lucky people have 2 bolt master cylinders.

The 1st gen ls400(i'm looking at 92 diagram) has a 3 bolt master cylinder. So i would recon you can swap to the ls400 master cylinder. Also the w/ traction control cylinder looks large then the normal on.

I wounder if its possible just to swap the proportion value to either the supra tt value or ls400 value. Maybe that alone would solve the problem. Especially if fill the past master cylinder the max point.
I wouldn't be looking at the 92-94s because those had the puny 2 piston floating calipers on the front. The 95+ version had the aluminum 4 piston calipers that we are all upgrading to.

As for the dead zone previously mentioned you can get rid of that with a slight pedal adjustment (assuming that the brakes were already bled/flushed). i didn't need the adjustment and plan on upgrading the rears in the near future. Maybe some people who have both front and rear upgrades can chime in a bit...
Old 01-04-09, 08:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

92-94 SC's had 3 bolt master cylinders. 95+ bad a 2 bolt master cylinder. i know since i have both types of boosters and master cylinders in my possession. i cant guarantee for sure but i would bet that a supra tt master cylinder would bolt up to the 95+ sc brake booster.

worst case scenario you can buy a supra tt master cylinder and brake booster. that would be a definite plug and play direct swap. those parts are not expensive either. ScottUrNot was selling a supra TT master cylinder and the brake booster for 75 bucks a while ago.

do people not read post i make? i took the time earlier in the year to provide this type of info, just a lot more in-depth, with pictures on how the master cylinders are interchangeable between the SC and the supra.

btw if you do a supra tt brake swap, it is not complete unless you also swap the master cylinders. the supra NA master cylinder is same as the SC but the supra TT is different. the part numbers at any store, and the dealer, are different.
Old 01-04-09, 09:35 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
92-94 SC's had 3 bolt master cylinders. 95+ bad a 2 bolt master cylinder. i know since i have both types of boosters and master cylinders in my possession. i cant guarantee for sure but i would bet that a supra tt master cylinder would bolt up to the 95+ sc brake booster.

worst case scenario you can buy a supra tt master cylinder and brake booster. that would be a definite plug and play direct swap. those parts are not expensive either. ScottUrNot was selling a supra TT master cylinder and the brake booster for 75 bucks a while ago.

do people not read post i make? i took the time earlier in the year to provide this type of info, just a lot more in-depth, with pictures on how the master cylinders are interchangeable between the SC and the supra.

btw if you do a supra tt brake swap, it is not complete unless you also swap the master cylinders. the supra NA master cylinder is same as the SC but the supra TT is different. the part numbers at any store, and the dealer, are different.
I wish a mod would compile a thread with with all the useful info. Anyways do you have a link to that post you made?

Also its kinda hard to find a supra master cylinder at a junk yard. Can i just buy a master cylinder/brake booster off ls400 and swap that to my sc? i would assume its possible and since i just plan on putting ls400 calipers on my car, it should work a okay.

Last edited by Ryeno; 01-04-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 10:15 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is the thread that i posted in with pictures.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...al-travel.html