Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension / Body brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 01:12 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suspension / Body brace

I've been researching around to figure out what might be the best mods for me and browsed around a few Japanese sites and found parts I don't see here on CL.

I'm sure most of you guys concerned with suspension parts know the TRD/Tom's front/rear brace/STB/6-link, as well as the sway bars many manufacturers make, and bushings. So besides that i found...

Summit Racing Front Lower Arm No.2 pillow ball
KSP Engineering Front Lower Arm No.2 pillow ball

left is new OEM, right is old.
btw, i've been doing research on this bushing a lot but from what I researched, this OEM part made from Jan.2003 - present uses the TRD bushings (source. From what I read, a lot of the 98-00 owners in Japan switch out this part and has been getting great results. Parts are about 15000 yen (about 150 USD).

Do-Luck floor support bar.

Do-Luck rear cross bar

Garage Magical's arms
apparently it has 40% tougher compared to stock.

Do-Luck adjustable anti sway bars

DIY Tom's rear lower arm plate

i can't find it anywhere but Blow Design (aka Mode Parfume) makes front and rear adjustable upper arms.

Feel free to pitch in. I want my GS to handle like it's on rails.

Last edited by kit cat; 02-09-09 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 01:44 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

left is new OEM, right is old.
btw, i've been doing research on this bushing a lot but from what I researched, this OEM part made from Jan.2003 - present uses the TRD bushings (source. From what I read, a lot of the 98-00 owners in Japan switch out this part and has been getting great results. Parts are about 15000 yen (about 150 USD).
interesting. good find.

i almost bought a new caster arm instead of going with daizen bushings. I do not regret going the daizen bushings route.

as for the upper control arms, they're there to give you more camber adjustments, but they do help changing the roll center of the car (like RCAs). the do-luck crossbars is aimed at giving the chassis even more rigidity (drifting stresses the chassis a lot). I don't see that you'll need adjustable sway bars unless you go on track often. The TRD sways are fine as it is, but I would recommend end links anything but OEM.

the customized rear 6-link setup looks legit. tom's 6-link is what our rear suspension needs but tom's is asking a premium for it.

what suspension parts do you already have? if you only have coilovers right now, I would suggest going either sway bars or stiffer bushings.

Last edited by ElitistK; 12-18-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 01:57 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice find Yuki.... ...very interesting. I wonder if anyone here on CL may have already tried these?
Old 11-17-08, 09:03 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the customized rear 6-link setup looks legit. tom's 6-link is what our rear suspension needs but tom's is asking a premium for it.

what suspension parts do you already have? if you only have coilovers right now, I would suggest going either sway bars or stiffer bushings.
Yep, just on HKS coilovers. I was happy with it for a while but lately I've been wanting more (especially after test driving some European cars). I have a set of Daizen sway bar bushings coming in and also the Tom's 6-link. Probably will do the Daizen steering rack bushing soon, and hopefully the rest of their poly bushing stuff once it gets warmer. The rest will probably have to wait till I'm done with school.

Originally Posted by PHML
Nice find Yuki.... ...very interesting. I wonder if anyone here on CL may have already tried these?
That's what I've been wondering too. I looked around for reviews on Japanese sites but so far no reviews.
Old 11-17-08, 10:05 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man for tracking down these hard to find suspension parts!!! I'm in the same boat as you, I want the GS to handle like it is on rails, or as good as I can get it to. I know carson toyota has all the new Ikeya Formula parts now, but I've been wondering about these TOM's parts forever.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=447
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=448
http://www.nengun.com/toms/ars-cancel-bar

Anyone know what these do exactly or have more info on them?

Hey man, anyway you can get the set of instructions on how to install both of these (rear cross bar and floor support)?

I don't know which bushings these are, but if I remember correctly, a fellow member tried some TRD bushings and they did not fit.
Old 11-17-08, 10:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mex lex

I don't know which bushings these are, but if I remember correctly, a fellow member tried some TRD bushings and they did not fit.
Perhaps he didn't order the right one. TRD has two different versions of caster bushings for the GS and its separated by build year. I think the cutoff is around mid 1999 or so.

98-00 and 01-05 caster arms are not the same. I inquired these from TRD a while ago but the order never went though. Shipping was going to be 3-4 months
Old 11-17-08, 10:42 AM
kit cat

Thanks man for tracking down these hard to find suspension parts!!! I'm in the same boat as you, I want the GS to handle like it is on rails, or as good as I can get it to. I know carson toyota has all the new Ikeya Formula parts now, but I've been wondering about these TOM's parts forever.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=447
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=448
http://www.nengun.com/toms/ars-cancel-bar
I think those top two from Tom's pricing is BS. I've even read someone on Club-Aristo snapping the Tom's 6link. Definitely the price we pay for the brand...but no one else makes them. The DIY hackjob I posted for the rear lower arms is pretty much the same underlying principle of strengthening the rear lower arm... I'm not quite sure how much the arm or the suspension arm bracket actually flexes but I haven't read any reviews on how effective it is.
And lemme know how the ARS cancel bar works. We don't have ARS.

Hey man, anyway you can get the set of instructions on how to install both of these (rear cross bar and floor support)?
I'm not interested them that much so I have no idea how to install them. someone did install them on Club Aristo and seems like it just bolts up. Just be careful when you drill, you waterproof the hole.

PS: I read in (I wanna say) drift heaven(ドリフト天国)magazine two issues ago that it actually helped the JZX110 drift guys since they have lower body rigidity compared to the pre-GOA X chassis and . It actually might help with our GOA 16S-chassis. Just a thought.

Last edited by kit cat; 11-17-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-17-08, 11:50 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

I think those top two from Tom's pricing is BS. I've even read someone on Club-Aristo snapping the Tom's 6link. Definitely the price we pay for the brand...but no one else makes them. The DIY hackjob I posted for the rear lower arms is pretty much the same underlying principle of strengthening the rear lower arm... I'm not quite sure how much the arm or the suspension arm bracket actually flexes but I haven't read any reviews on how effective it is.
And lemme know how the ARS cancel bar works. We don't have ARS.

I'm not interested them that much so I have no idea how to install them. someone did install them on Club Aristo and seems like it just bolts up. Just be careful when you drill, you waterproof the hole.

PS: I read in (I wanna say) drift heaven(ドリフト天国)magazine two issues ago that it actually helped the JZX110 drift guys since they have lower body rigidity compared to the pre-GOA X chassis and . It actually might help with our GOA 16S-chassis. Just a thought.
Ok thanks! I ordered the ars cancel bar and I will do a detailed review on it . So it is just another thing that the aristo in japan has but we don't. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm excited to get the cross bar and floor support bars on, as I have read good reviews on them too.
Old 11-17-08, 10:17 PM
kit cat

Nagisa Auto Gacchiri Support
I've read these actually do work on the JZS161 on Japanese magazines.
Old 11-17-08, 10:18 PM
kit cat

Ok thanks! I ordered the ars cancel bar and I will do a detailed review on it . So it is just another thing that the aristo in japan has but we don't. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm excited to get the cross bar and floor support bars on, as I have read good reviews on them too.
whoa you ordered the floor support and cross bars?? In that case, lemme know if you need help with the installation translation.
Old 11-18-08, 09:09 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

whoa you ordered the floor support and cross bars?? In that case, lemme know if you need help with the installation translation.
I got them from a fellow member. I only recieved one page of instructions, for the floor support only I think. I'll scan it and send it to you so you can do an engrish translation.
Old 10-31-09, 09:34 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Perhaps he didn't order the right one. TRD has two different versions of caster bushings for the GS and its separated by build year. I think the cutoff is around mid 1999 or so.

98-00 and 01-05 caster arms are not the same. I inquired these from TRD a while ago but the order never went though. Shipping was going to be 3-4 months
I have a 99 GS4, could I buy the 01-05 caster arms from the dealer and then install the 01-05 Daizen bushing kit? I'm guessing all of the other bushings are the same 98-05?
Old 10-31-09, 09:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think Coco-Bun just recently did a conversion from the old caster arm to the new one. If you get the new arms, you can use the 01-05 bushings.

But why would you want to hack up a new arm for bushing install?
Old 10-31-09, 10:14 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Coco-Bun just recently did a conversion from the old caster arm to the new one. If you get the new arms, you can use the 01-05 bushings.

Because spending too much money on old cars is a bad habit.
Old 02-21-10, 07:34 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by RUSSOM
I have a 99 GS4, could I buy the 01-05 caster arms from the dealer and then install the 01-05 Daizen bushing kit? I'm guessing all of the other bushings are the same 98-05?

you can put 01-05 on a 98-00. BUT, from what I researched, I'd get 03-05 because the rubber bushing is different (material, not size) from 01-03.

someone seriously needs to make a set of sway bars and END LINKS b/c I cannot find a set of TRDs or justify spending that much...i'm cheap lol.

Quick Reply: Suspension / Body brace