Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 brake upgrade for sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 02:45 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 brake upgrade for sc300

Just on a percentage basis only, what is the percentage of better braking of the LS400 front brake upgrade over the stock SC brakes? 15%,20%,50%....? People who have done this please chime in with PERCENTAGE of better braking over stock. I am considering this upgrade on my SC.
Old 11-05-08, 02:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Define better braking In terms of pedal feel, it's maybe 40% better? i dont know

As far as stopping distance goes, dont count on them being any better than OEM setup.

But you'll probably resist fade a bit better. Sorry i'm being too brief, not at home right now. I'll reply later.
Old 11-05-08, 03:13 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the whole idea of a BBK kit(LS400 brakes in this example) was better braking (shorter stopping distances). Am I wrong here??? If I want better brake pedal feel couldn't I just go with metal brake lines and performance brake pads with a stock set-up(cheaper, right?)? I realize I will get better fade resistance with the LS400 brakes ,but I do not race my SC, nor am I always trying to slow down all the time from 100+ mph. Please, more info.......
Old 11-05-08, 03:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The OEM calipers already have enough clamping power to lock up the wheels. ABS will interfere before your wheels get locked up. Having more clamping force will not net you any gain whatsoever. You'll stop shorter only IF your brakes have been fading before. So with the new brake setup, you'll be able to do more high speed braking.

However that isn't to say these brakes can not improve distance at all. In order to utilize the brakes to its full potential, you'll be needing really sticky tires..so sticky that even your OEM brakes are not able to lock it up. Thats when the extra clamping force comes in handy. Until then, most people wont need bigger brakes. Better pad selection is the ideal replacement if you want better performance without breaking the budget.

As for brake feel, they'll make more of difference than stainless steel lines. The sole reason why I upgraded my GS400's brake to LS400 was to get a firmer pedal feel. The OEM calipers provide almost no bite for the first few inches of pedal travel. No way was I expecting shorter stopping distance.
Old 11-06-08, 04:43 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Thks GSteg for your personal insight and experience. Much appreciated. Anyone else want to chime in with their opinions/experience? BTW, it seems as if people are complaining that there is more pedal travel with LS400 brakes than with OEM brakes. Does this further pedal travel negate the "firmer pedal feel"? Man, would I love to see real time braking/ stopping distances between OEM and LS400 front brakes.Has ANYONE done this simple (before and after) true brake test? Now I am doubting this upgrade unless I can do it on the dirt cheap....soooo... back to the question. On a percentage basis, how HAPPY, BASED on the money spent AND overall improvement over stock OEM brakes, are you with the LS400 upgrade on your SC? 15% happier? 20%?,40%, etc...
Old 11-06-08, 08:25 PM
32SC
Pit Crew

If you want shorter braking distances, look into different tires. The only significant difference I've noticed is at high speeds and increased stability while braking.

edit: Just noticed you're asking about ls400 brakes; my experience is with TT brakes
Old 08-17-10, 06:57 PM
shammyhp23
Driver

but can anyone tell us why people do the ls400 brakes on sc's
Old 08-17-10, 07:13 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

AFAIK it's cheaper than a 1995+ Supra TT brake setup.

Originally Posted by shammyhp23
but can anyone tell us why people do the ls400 brakes on sc's
Old 08-17-10, 07:45 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that the "initial bite" of my brakes seemed a bit more aggressive with the LS calipers. Did I cut down on my braking distance? Not really sure, probably not enough to make a big difference. I have noticed under hard braking, ABS seems to kick in a bit earlier as well; so if I had a set of wider and stickier tires, I bet distance will be cut down by a noticeable distance.

Will I do this upgrade again if I started from scratch? Yes, I would, overall the brakes feel better. From the money point of view, I think it's one of the better upgrades. Calipers and be had for dirt cheap if you catch them at the right time.
Old 08-24-10, 03:54 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

abs is garbage. im gonna remove mine none of my other cars have had abs and i hate this one that does..
Old 08-25-10, 06:46 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

ABS is nice in the snow

Out of curiosity, where do you guys get your Supra/LS400 brakes? Can't imagine you get them from the dealer?
Old 08-25-10, 06:50 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically eBay, local junkyards. Aliga usually has a couple of sets on hand.
Old 08-25-10, 04:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ls400 resist fade a lot better then stock. stainless brake lines make a great combo with the ls400 brakes.

you can find them at local yards sometimes. i bought 2 complete sets a few years ago(rotors, pads, calipers, hardware) for 200 dollars total. have to know where to look

if you are on a budget then get some aggressive pads, ss brake lines, and tires.

tires make the biggest difference. no matter how impressive your brake setup is, if your tires are crap then you wont stop.

look into yokohama advan ad08, potenza re-11, re-01r, pirelli p-zero corsa, dunlop dz101 or the star specs, also the falken rt615 are great but wet traction is weak and they are more of an auto cross tire. road coarse they heat up too quick and start greasing and chunking a bit.
Old 08-25-10, 04:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a set for sale Jeembo, if ur interested.
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would say, more like a 10-15% better in braking performance, I just had mine installed today (just front 2), bled both sides and took it for a ride, I can feel the pads biting better also the pedal feels a little lighter, don't have to use as much of a leg force compared to the stock setup. I went with ls r1 concepts slotted rotors and posi quiet extended wear pads.
Can't wait to install my rear rotors tomorrow

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 08-25-10 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: LS400 brake upgrade for sc300