Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cracking and Rattling noise..??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 05:38 PM
$l1ckr4y
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking and Rattling noise..??

sup guys,
i've own my GS4 since past January and I love every minute of it. However, while I was cruising on the street recently, i noticed this cracking or somewhat rattling noise coming from the axle or spring area. It only appears when I'm driving slow (20-25mph) straight on the wavy road or when im driving thru the road markers. It has to be something to do with the suspension but I just cant point it out. Is there any ways to check the axle or control arms if its still working properly..?? One more thing, there is not really a shakiness on the steering wheel and during high speed (freeway cruise) the sound disappear. Any input or comment are well appreciate it.

-RAy
Old 08-07-08, 11:25 PM
$l1ckr4y
Rookie

one last thing, tonight on my home driving on the f-way i noticed the steering wheel were indeed a little shaky....so what would it be guys..??

-RAy
Old 08-12-08, 12:42 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by $l1ckr4y
sup guys,
i've own my GS4 since past January and I love every minute of it. However, while I was cruising on the street recently, i noticed this cracking or somewhat rattling noise coming from the axle or spring area. It only appears when I'm driving slow (20-25mph) straight on the wavy road or when im driving thru the road markers. It has to be something to do with the suspension but I just cant point it out. Is there any ways to check the axle or control arms if its still working properly..?? One more thing, there is not really a shakiness on the steering wheel and during high speed (freeway cruise) the sound disappear. Any input or comment are well appreciate it.

-RAy
I think i got the same problem like you. When I go over those road mark bumps, i hear like rattling in the back, sounds like from the springs. I'm also waiting for a reply from that too.
Old 08-12-08, 05:22 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your RPM / gear have any influence on the noise? if you drop it to 2nd/3rd gear manually at 20-25mph does the noise remain?
Old 08-12-08, 08:04 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Have your ball joints. I believe the noise might be your Tire Rod is out of grease. I would go get my Lower ball Joints and tire rod checked ASAP I just had mine replaced. I can tell a big difference.
Old 08-12-08, 08:45 AM
KHALIK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by $l1ckr4y
sup guys,

-RAy
I fixed mine yesterday by greasing behind the caliper pads and the sliders. Check for cracked or torn rubber boot cover for the slider as mine was ripped and rusted inside the slider.

Mine was so bad and annoying that I ended up doing myself instead of taking it to a garage. So far no noise over those little bumps.
Old 08-12-08, 09:25 PM
$l1ckr4y
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
Does your RPM / gear have any influence on the noise? if you drop it to 2nd/3rd gear manually at 20-25mph does the noise remain?
no, the tranny still shift like butter and no noise when downshifted to those gears.

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Have your ball joints. I believe the noise might be your Tire Rod is out of grease. I would go get my Lower ball Joints and tire rod checked ASAP I just had mine replaced. I can tell a big difference.
if i would've grease the tire rod, what kinda of grease is reccomended for our car..??