Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lifespan of coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 12:08 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
I am curious myself. I have about 15K on mine and it seems like they are already worn out.
How do you know if they're worn out?
Old 07-31-09, 12:23 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steezy
you'll see leaks and the ride feels different... i noticed the coil gets extremely hot too!
Old 07-31-09, 12:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Annalyz
you'll see leaks and the ride feels different... i noticed the coil gets extremely hot too!
So why do these coilovers have such a short life? You would think they would use a quality shock in the assembly/unit.
Old 07-31-09, 02:09 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

^^right? thats a little disappointing...
Old 07-31-09, 02:31 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

very interesting. Now I am thinking if one of the coils are blown or not... would it be a drastic change or anything like that? any clinging or car falling on one side supposed to happen in the worst case cenario?

i also got my 2 yr old JICs from a friend, and he racked up his car on winters. If i rebuild them, would I possibly feel a bettter ride if there are no blown ones too?

Last edited by DaKi3241; 07-31-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 04:36 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I am truly sorry for you. I had to call them repeatedly. They promised they could be done and returned in two weeks if I FedEx'd them, so I did (at no small expense). Six weeks later I was one week from moving across country (CA to GA) and had to have my shocks on my Supra for the drive. I called them again (and again, and again), and they finally gave me this big song and dance about how they had to put a rush on my rebuild and how their rebuild guy was at the track or at the donut shop, or something. I dunno. I was pissed off they lied to me in the first place about having them done in two weeks. The work was fine, but the customer service was the absolute pits.

There is no other place you can get a Tein rebuild that's approved. That's the part that sucks rocks. Never again Tein.

wow! looks like im going to have the same exact feelings towards Teins as you do pretty soon if im not able to reach them.

never buying another Tein product ever again.
Old 07-31-09, 07:36 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So why do these coilovers have such a short life? You would think they would use a quality shock in the assembly/unit.
i'm speaking from experience with the coilovers on my lifted tacoma... i daily drove and wheeled running the coilovers for 3 years before seeing any oil leaks... i took the coilovers to a motorcycle shop and had them recharge... now, my coilovers are 6 years old... i can tell by the ride that it's about time to rebuild... imo, 6 years is not bad...

i've been running tein cs coilovers on my is350 for almost 2 years with no problems... *knock on wood

i'm sorry, i don't have an answer to your question... i'm just a girl!
Old 07-31-09, 10:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Annalyz
i've been running tein cs coilovers on my is350 for almost 2 years with no problems... *knock on wood

i'm sorry, i don't have an answer to your question... i'm just a girl!
Good info, certainly better than a guess.

Even with stock OEM Lexus shocks we don't have much history of when they actually wear out.
Old 07-31-09, 11:53 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Originally Posted by steezy
The ride is way different now. I live here in Carson,ca. Here on the 405fwy there are some spots where the freeway dips down low.. After the mat, I found my car to be bouncing 4 or 5 times after the bump. As opposed to the coils recovering after once bounce.
Old 08-01-09, 12:11 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

JIC has very fast turn over time. My neighbor with a 993 had his set of FL's inspected and had the springs changed out in a few hours. I would assume it would take a few days if you needed to have the shocks rebuilt.
Old 08-01-09, 01:26 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pingu
JIC has very fast turn over time. My neighbor with a 993 had his set of FL's inspected and had the springs changed out in a few hours. I would assume it would take a few days if you needed to have the shocks rebuilt.
ah icic thanks a lot for the info! And i figured they live nearby me in so cal. might go down to have a talk with them. thanks again!
Old 08-10-09, 06:24 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Wow this is really depressing, I really wanted to get coilovers, but now I'm going springs and f-sport shocks!
Old 08-10-09, 01:03 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
Wow this is really depressing, I really wanted to get coilovers, but now I'm going springs and f-sport shocks!
Even if you go with springs/shocks, over time you will need to replace the shocks. Second, if you can get 40k, 50k, or 60k miles on your coilovers, I consider that money well spent. That being said (IMO) it is better to just buy new coilovers vs. rebuilding.

Some may say that's an expensive price to pay; to buy new set of coilovers. I agree its expensive but at the same time I think it is a wiser choice because of the following:
1) removing coils and replace with OEM setup is not cheap for those who are not mechanically inclined. And if you are mechanically inclined what a PIA to do. Remove coils, install OEM, remove OEM, install coils.
2) the waiting period
3) probably cost you more/equal when everything is done

So when you think your coils need to be redone, rather than rebuilding just buy a new set.

Or think of your suspension as set of expensive 19" hi-performance tires; eventually they will get worn out. And when they do, you have no choice but to buy new set of tires. I dont know how much you guys paid for your tires, but I will have to cough up another $1,500+ for new set...and I know this will happen within a years time.

So buying new set of coilovers IMO is better/wiser choice.
Old 08-10-09, 01:19 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

Yea I'm about to get my coilvers and I agree with JVT.. I'd rather pay 800-1000 dollars for coilovers than 300 + shipping and the extra turnaround time it takes to get your coilovers back...
Old 08-10-09, 01:33 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

all the talk about rebuilds... are these rebuilds for more expensive coilovers?

maybe I'm missing something but BC Racing & Megan Coilovers for example both just send you a new cartridge... no need to send the assembly away for a rebuild...

is this not the whole picture? it almost seems too good to be true... is it?

Quick Reply: lifespan of coilovers?