Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 11:26 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk250
did you check to secure the jack in the trunk? I heard noise coming from the rear, but after I secured the jack..I don't hear it anymore...
Thanks. I'll check, but I have never used the jack and the dealership who installed the suspension should not have used it either.
Old 05-14-08, 05:04 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Update:

Recently, I have been hearing noises coming from the suspension. Occasionally, when I travel over bumps at high-medium speed I hear a "clunk" from the suspension (I think its the rear). This happens randomly (hard to duplicate) and only when I am on the highway. Any other F-Sport suspension owners hear this as well?
Hey I hear some noises in the rear also. I had the f-sport spring installed on stock shocks last friday. For me, it's the rear passenger side. It doesn't happen to me on the highway though, only on like speedbump and the occasional rough road. It's difficult to reproduce. I'm going to bring it back to the shop for an alignment but also ask them to check the rear suspension. This will probably be done on Saturday.

Last edited by OutCaster; 05-14-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 05:51 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutCaster
Hey I hear some noises in the rear also. I have the f-sport spring installed on stock shocks last friday. For me, it's the rear passenger side. It doesn't happen to me on the highway though, only on like speedbump and the occasional rough road. It's difficult to reproduce. I'm going to bring it back to the shop for an alignment but also ask them to check if the rear suspension. This will probably be done on Saturday.
I have the same issue.. its only occurs when the rear suspension is worked like over a dip or large bump.... at first I thought it was something in the rear spare tire compartment but doesn't seem so...
Old 05-14-08, 06:04 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I'm not the only one now? Mine's rear passenger too.

Mine happens every day... but then again, I go over the same speed bump and roads every day to work... so that's a bit expected. So Outcaster only has springs and stock shocks? Same with darkdream?

That would mean it's springs and not the shocks? Coil slap maybe?

Don't listen to me. I don't actually know anything.
Old 05-14-08, 06:56 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AznJason
I'm not the only one now? Mine's rear passenger too.

Mine happens every day... but then again, I go over the same speed bump and roads every day to work... so that's a bit expected. So Outcaster only has springs and stock shocks? Same with darkdream?

That would mean it's springs and not the shocks? Coil slap maybe?

Don't listen to me. I don't actually know anything.
Yep f-sport springs on stock shocks. Since website said f-sport springs work with stock shocks, I thought, why the heck not? I don't need all the snazzy suspension parts, just the aesthetics.

I took everything out of trunk, besides spare wheel, toolkit, and first aid just to make sure noise wasn't from other things in the trunk, but the noise is still there. The driver rear seems fine, just the rear passenger.
Old 05-14-08, 07:11 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I've had the F-Sport springs for a few weeks and the first thing I checked was noises. Zero noises to this day.
Old 05-14-08, 07:16 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OutCaster
I took everything out of trunk, besides spare wheel, toolkit, and first aid just to make sure noise wasn't from other things in the trunk, but the noise is still there. The driver rear seems fine, just the rear passenger.
If it didn't clunk pre-spring install, how would taking all the stuff out of the trunk pin point the noise? Work the problem dude.
Jack up the car, take off the wheel and inspect the suspension on that corner, make sure everything is tight, and the springs are seated properly, or the 2 bolts that secure the spring hat to the chassis are tight (mid way down the strut and hidden behind the fender liner). If you don't have the tools or the know how, take it back to where you paid for install and have them do it.
Old 05-15-08, 07:12 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Giggity
If it didn't clunk pre-spring install, how would taking all the stuff out of the trunk pin point the noise?
Well I had some things in the trunk that could have shifted or banged against each other that could have cause some noises. I never paid attention to rear suspension noises pre-spring install. I usually have music on that's why.
Old 05-16-08, 04:27 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my whole setup completed. Got my sways on 2 weeks ago and today got the shocks and springs on. Only cost me $280 at an independent shop for both shocks and springs! So far I can say the ride quality is real good. I'd say even smoother then the stock ride! Those with wives or girlfriends will probably not know any difference or complain. This is how the car should have come from the factory! Car feels more nimble and lighter because there's no more of that stupid amount body roll. I don't know how to explain it but it's firmer yet just as smooth and quiet as stock. It's handles real flat now and changing directions is more like "Quick turn NOW - NOW - NOW... YES!!! instead of.. quick turn "Woooahh.. turn woooah.. turn woahhh... %$#%#!!!" kind of bodyroll.

It feels faster from a stop too because the car doesn't lurch back and squat on it's soft rear springs when you hit the gas so the feeling of acceleration is more immediate. Appearancewise it doesn't give all that much of a drop though, so if you have stock rims or stock sized rims this amount of drop is perfect. If you have lowering springs from the other manufacturers I notice that with stock rims the tires get tucked under the fenders which looks kinda bad to me. Those with 20's might want to get something that drops this sucker more agressively. The rear is a little lower than the front still but that's how it is from the factory. I think if you didn't tell anyone who doesn't own this car, they wouldn't know it was lowered, the drop is very natural. So far after my short test drive the only downside is that I'll have to be more careful around driveways, curbs, parking blocks, and speedbumps but it's worth it. I probably wont get an alignment for another month or two. Then another alignment 6 months after that. You guys should do this it's totally worth it! Now if we can only get the steering wheel to firm up more. Then that'll be perfect!

oh yeah and btw.. went over a few big bumps and some stretches of rough pavement to test and no clunking or noises for me.. so much for dealer installed quality.. did I mention my install only cost $280? hehehe

Last edited by ba-b4; 05-16-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 04:55 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ba-b4, good review, I am going follow you ..to buy the sway bars set.
Old 05-16-08, 07:00 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Did a little more driving at higher speed and more aggressive through some rough twisties. After more time I am feeling the difference more clearly. Where in the past the shocks absorbed most of road irregularities without transmitting it in the cabin the spring/shock combo follows the road more so it is a little bit harsher. Compared to my sisters G35 coupe that I drove on the way to pick up my car I can tell that the f-sport sways/shocks/spring combo is still not as aggressive and firm as a what's on a stock G.
Old 05-17-08, 02:30 PM
blake0387
Driver

This may have already been discussed but did you guys notice a slight difference between the height of your driver side and the passenger side after you dropped it? It seems that mine is a bit lower on the driver side. It's almost not noticable, but it bothers me a little bit.
Old 05-17-08, 02:54 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blake0387
This may have already been discussed but did you guys notice a slight difference between the height of your driver side and the passenger side after you dropped it? It seems that mine is a bit lower on the driver side. It's almost not noticable, but it bothers me a little bit.
Yea I believe there's a thread discussing this. I didn't measure mine and don't wanna go lookin for it because it'd bother me too.
Old 05-17-08, 06:59 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not going to look for it either. Who looks at both sides at the same time anyway..
Old 05-17-08, 07:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I just got my whole setup completed. Got my sways on 2 weeks ago and today got the shocks and springs on. Only cost me $280 at an independent shop for both shocks and springs! So far I can say the ride quality is real good. I'd say even smoother then the stock ride! Those with wives or girlfriends will probably not know any difference or complain. This is how the car should have come from the factory! Car feels more nimble and lighter because there's no more of that stupid amount body roll. I don't know how to explain it but it's firmer yet just as smooth and quiet as stock. It's handles real flat now and changing directions is more like "Quick turn NOW - NOW - NOW... YES!!! instead of.. quick turn "Woooahh.. turn woooah.. turn woahhh... %$#%#!!!" kind of bodyroll.

It feels faster from a stop too because the car doesn't lurch back and squat on it's soft rear springs when you hit the gas so the feeling of acceleration is more immediate. Appearancewise it doesn't give all that much of a drop though, so if you have stock rims or stock sized rims this amount of drop is perfect. If you have lowering springs from the other manufacturers I notice that with stock rims the tires get tucked under the fenders which looks kinda bad to me. Those with 20's might want to get something that drops this sucker more agressively. The rear is a little lower than the front still but that's how it is from the factory. I think if you didn't tell anyone who doesn't own this car, they wouldn't know it was lowered, the drop is very natural. So far after my short test drive the only downside is that I'll have to be more careful around driveways, curbs, parking blocks, and speedbumps but it's worth it. I probably wont get an alignment for another month or two. Then another alignment 6 months after that. You guys should do this it's totally worth it! Now if we can only get the steering wheel to firm up more. Then that'll be perfect!

oh yeah and btw.. went over a few big bumps and some stretches of rough pavement to test and no clunking or noises for me.. so much for dealer installed quality.. did I mention my install only cost $280? hehehe
Do you feel that the sways were worth it? Seems like body roll is pretty much gone for me with just springs and shocks.

Also, the noise is hard to detect. It sounds like a rock is hitting the undercarriage. At first I did not notice anything. I drove home from the dealership with the radio off, but after a while I started to hear it.

I am going to make a new thread regarding the F-Sport Spring clunk noise w/ poll.

Originally Posted by blake0387
I cannot tell the difference in height. Looks pretty even.

Quick Reply: Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks